Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 31st August 2011, 22:44   #81  |  Link
NicolasRobidoux
Nicolas Robidoux

Opinion: Already in the current NNEDI, the most noticeable errors come from creating sharp interfaces where there are none. Given that derivative computations are greatly affected by noise, my guess is that NNEDI will not be improved by using weights involving gradients, at least not on "unclean" natural images.
NicolasRobidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 14:37   #82  |  Link
Rumbah

Would it be possible to release the training program and some interesting work units and let the community use their horse power to execute the training?
That way you can experiment with different settings without having to run the training itself as it seems very time consuming. I guess a lot of people would help and contribute to get a "better" nnedi.
Rumbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2011, 19:35   #83  |  Link
redfordxx

I read only few posts here, not all, so I don't know if this contributes to something or it is already used or known or implemented.
Recently I was interested in resizing and/or sharpening and generally got annoyed by ringing...so I got idea

Here:
Ringing occures when second derivation changes the sign (convex changes into concave)
So if that could be limited, there will be no more ringing.
I also tried to make script which does it, bot go stuck on other thing: noise...:-(
redfordxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 03:14   #84  |  Link
NicolasRobidoux
Nicolas Robidoux

As documented in http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...48#post1541448, I have produced sharper versions of the Robidoux, Jinc-windowed Jinc 3-lobe and 4-lobe EWA (Elliptical Weighted Averaging) filters for ImageMagick. I have posted the results under the names RobidouxSharp.png, JincJinc3blur0p88549061701764.png and JincJinc4blur0p88451002338585141.png alongside my earlier results in the folders found at http://web.cs.laurentian.ca/nrobidoux/misc/halodemo/.
Old 29th November 2011, 10:04   #85  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Hmmmmm... The new images are definitely sharper, but I'm still not sure if I prefer them over your old LanczosSharp. The new images have noticeably more ringing and more aliasing in some of the test images. E.g. check out the roofs on the "biglighthouse" and "castle" images. Your old LanczosSharp method shows some ringing there, but at least it's relatively faint and not aliased. Both new methods show stronger and more aliased ringing there. The wood wall in the left house in "biglighthouse" also shows a lot more ringing (if it's ringing what I see there) compared to the old LanczosSharp image. In the "parking" image, one of your new LanczosSharp variations shows much stronger ringing at the left side of the parking case, the other one weaker ringing, compared to your original LanczosSharp implementation. Weird. Both new algorithms have more ringing and aliasing artifacts within most of the texts in the "parking" image. Your original LanczosSharp produced more natural and artifact free images, IMHO, but also softer.

Just my 2 cents, of course. And to be honest, I've no clue about the math behind your old and new algorithms. So I can only compare the image results with my eyes.

What do you think?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 12:28   #86  |  Link
*.mp4 guy

Most of the test images are more aliased then would generally be expected. This results in a marked bias in favor of more aggressive filters, likely other images would show the opposite result.
*.mp4 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 14:02   #87  |  Link
NicolasRobidoux
Nicolas Robidoux

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Hmmmmm... The new images are definitely sharper, but I'm still not sure if I prefer them over your old LanczosSharp.

What do you think?
@madshi: Thank you very much for your feedback Mathias.

-----

In a ("mathematical") sense, the new Jinc-windowed Jinc filters are the sharpest Jinc-windowed Jinc EWAs possibles with the given number of lobes. No surprise, they are more aliased.

I agree that with this collection of test images, this is a Goldilocks situation: "classic" LanczosSharp appears to be a bit too soft, and the new ones too sharp.

It turns out that I had done my preliminary testing with a group of images which had little or no haloing as well as generally softer. With those, the new sharper versions were, to my eyes, right at the edge of "too sharp." With this group of test images, they appear to me to have crossed the line. I myself find them too aliased. And I don't like that the existing halos are sometimes noticeably amplified.

What this suggests to me is that the "best Jinc-windowed Jinc EWAs" have a support that sits between the "new" and the "old." In http://imagemagick.org/discourse-ser...tart=30#p78406, I suggested rescaling the Jinc-windowed Jinc EWA filters so that the radius is exactly the number of lobes, which is basically what is the case for orthogonal Sinc-windowed Sinc Lanczos. I don't have a mathematical justification for this choice. But this produces a scheme which sharp Goldilocks may approve of without any of the halo-free bears complaining too loudly.

This particular group of test images made me realize that, for example, the 4-lobe version is not as good across the board as I thought.

Last edited by NicolasRobidoux; 29th November 2011 at 15:31.
Old 29th November 2011, 15:06   #88  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

@*.mp4 guy, you may be right, I'm not sure. Here on doom9 we're usually more concerned about video than still photo, and video is often softer than these still photos. But then there's a big difference between DVDs and good Blu-Rays. Some Blu-Rays are very detailed and would probably also result in aliasing and definitely in haloing with too sharp resampling filters.

@Nicolas, have you thought about adding some anti-ringing logic to your resamplers? E.g. if you compare your EWA Lanczos results (any of them) of the "castle" image to my "non-ringing Lanczos", mine has noticeably less ringing at the roof. Maybe if you used a similar technique in your algorithms you could improve quality further? Just a thought, though... Personally, I'm tending to go totally non-linear at the moment. I think we're at the limit of what "simple" linear resampling can do. If we want another significant jump in image quality, I think non-linear algorithms will be the way to go. Which is confirmed by the NNEDI3 results, which I still find noticeably superior to any other algorithm tested in this thread. As a start I'm planning to look into improving my non-ringing Lanczos algorithm, maybe by adjusting the resampling weights to match the edge directions or something like that. I'll probably use a more trial-and-error approach instead of science and math, though, because I'm not too great in the latter areas...
Old 29th November 2011, 15:53   #89  |  Link
NicolasRobidoux
Nicolas Robidoux

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
@Nicolas, have you thought about adding some anti-ringing logic to your resamplers? E.g. if you compare your EWA Lanczos results (any of them) of the "castle" image to my "non-ringing Lanczos", mine has noticeably less ringing at the roof. Maybe if you used a similar technique in your algorithms you could improve quality further? Just a thought, though... Personally, I'm tending to go totally non-linear at the moment. I think we're at the limit of what "simple" linear resampling can do. If we want another significant jump in image quality, I think non-linear algorithms will be the way to go. Which is confirmed by the NNEDI3 results, which I still find noticeably superior to any other algorithm tested in this thread. As a start I'm planning to look into improving my non-ringing Lanczos algorithm, maybe by adjusting the resampling weights to match the edge directions or something like that. I'll probably use a more trial-and-error approach instead of science and math, though, because I'm not too great in the latter areas...
@Mathias:

There is a lot here.

Initial answer:

It's only been about a year (I believe) that anyone got a truly good EWA scheme working. So, I'm still exploring linear EWA. One way of modifying weights is by changing the windowing function. In quick experiments documented on the ImageMagick forums, I found that Jinc is probably the best windowing function for Jinc. But I'm not sure. And it does lead to lots of haloing sometimes.

What seems to be tricky is to side step the zero sum. Weights/kernels can be modified to reduce haloing (say), but then some other annoying artifact sticks its head out.

My novel schemes LBB and LBB-Nohalo are nonlinear. LBB is specifically designed to prevent haloing. LBB really can be described as bicubic with very strong ringing suppression. LBB-Nohalo does that, and attempts to straighten/sharpen diagonal lines. But they don't work well with images which contain haloing to start with, and they are aliased with "old skool CG." A Masters student of mine (Chantal Racette) is defending this Friday, with a core component of the thesis a discussion of these two methods. (She actually was involved in the intial ImageMagick fixing of EWA, but this part of her work did not really make it in her thesis.)

I have, on the back of an envelope, a less "halo averse" bicubic method which should be an improvement on LBB. A more balanced scheme if you wish. It is nonlinear, although less so than LBB. I have high hopes for this one. It is based on a biquadratic method discussed in the thesis which works fairly well in 1D but is not very good in 2D.

NNEDI3 is simply amazing. Although I wonder how it does with video, because it's clear that it "invents" attractive pieces where other schemes would add artifacts, and it would not surprise me that this type of strong nonlinearity would make details "jump" from one frame to the next. I also, personally, do not particularly like its "glossiness". Naturally messy things like grass or conifer branches don't look natural to me. It's almost as if NNEDI3 creates a "plastic world" ("I'm a Barbie girl, in a Barbie world..."). It makes think of what comes out of using a Jensen filter.

I do wonder if a nonlinear face or vertex split subdivision method which explicitly takes into account what we "expect" to see at higher resolution with a collection of archetypal data patches could almost match NNEDI3. But I have no time for that now.

I can use math to guide me, but math is limited in the guidance it provides. My opinion is that designing a good image resampling method is a craft. I trust my eyes more than numbers alone. I do find that there are some mathematical properties that provide useful guidance or tuning values. But this whole thing still appears to me hugely complicated, and I don't have a clear vision of what is "the" way.

Good luck. Keep documenting what you try, please.

Last edited by NicolasRobidoux; 29th November 2011 at 18:02.
Old 29th November 2011, 16:12   #90  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasRobidoux View Post
NNEDI3 is simply amazing. Although I wonder how it does with video, because it's clear that it "invents" attractive pieces where other schemes would add artifacts, and it would not surprise me that this type of strong nonlinearity would make details "jump" from one frame to the next.
NNEDI3 was originally invented for deinterlacing, so video is the primary purpose. And it seems to work quite well there. The problem you're anticipating can definitely happen with certain algorithms but it seems NNEDI3 is not one of them.

Quote:
I also, personally, do not particularly like its "glossiness". Naturally messy things like grass or conifer branches don't look natural to me.
NNEDI3 decides for which parts of the image to use the NNEDI3 algorith and for which parts simple Bicubic. Usually grass and trees end up being upscaled with Bicubic. I've once tried forcing NNEDI3 on for all pixels and it didn't look well for grass and trees at all, IMHO. It looked more fractal like than natural there. The real purpose of the Bicubic switch was to save performance. Luckily it also seems to avoid many of those fractal artifacts. Other non-linear algorithms have similar problems. E.g. this one easily beats NNEDI3, from what I can see:

http://resampling.narod.ru/

But it doesn't look good for grass and trees, either. I think these kind of problems should be solvable, though. Grass and trees are usually image areas with a lot of random directions. It should be possible to detect such areas and use a different algorithm for them.

I believe this "unnatural" or "fractal" like look of grass/trees usually happens if you have an algorithm which tries to find edge directions in the image and interpolate them "correctly". Doing so often works *great* for most image content, just not for mother nature (grass, trees).

Quote:
I can use math to guide me, but math is limited in the guidance it provides. My opinion is that designing a good image resampling method is a craft. I trust my eyes more than numbers alone. I do find that there are some mathematical properties that provide useful guidance or tuning values. But this whole thing still appears to me hugely complicated, and I don't have a clear vision of what is "the" way.
Yeah, I think logical thinking and good ideas might work better for image resampling than pure math. Oh well, probably a good combination of both would be ideal. Maybe I should polish my math up...

Quote:
Keep documenting what you try, please.
Will do. You, too, please.

Last edited by madshi; 29th November 2011 at 16:15.
Old 30th May 2012, 17:04   #91  |  Link
NeuralSpline

NerualSpline2

Dear experts, I suggest to discuss results of work of my NeuralSpline2 algorithm and to make the comparative review other methods. I send result of work on an example "lighthouse" test image. Look:
http://resampling.narod.ru/image/lighthouse_x4.jpg

Last edited by NeuralSpline; 1st June 2012 at 05:40.
NeuralSpline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2012, 15:11   #92  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Hi Vitaly,

your algorithm looks quite promising, but I wish I could test it myself. Maybe you could make a test exe available which would allow us to test your algorithm with any images we like? You could watermark the upscaled images, if you're afraid of misuse.

FWIW, compared to NNEDI3 your algorithm seems to produce noticeably sharper results. You also get a couple edges with difficult angles reproduced better than NNEDI3. On the other hand, your algorithm also produces a couple more artifacts compared to NNEDI3. I think you improved the problem with false geometrical/fractal structures in random image areas (like grass) compared to earlier versions of your algorithm? I still see a slight tendency towards that, though. E.g. there's a geometrical pattern to the grain in the cloud on the right side of the light tower top in your image.
Old 31st May 2012, 17:19   #93  |  Link
NeuralSpline

Hi, madshi!
I read earlier about a problem of a grass and trees. In my algorithm there is no transition on bicubic. The grass and similar structures from the point of view of mathematics come nearer to white noise. Work of my algorithm is result of training on a large number of test images. The answer to input data is the most probable decision. And for such difficult structures of decisions can be so much that most probable decision looks blur. And on the contrary if to try will adjust algorithm on the beautiful decision it is self-deception, and the decision will be unstable. For upscaling video thus there will be a feeling that in a grass there are a lot of ants. But I really give to this problem a lot of time. But it very much and is very difficult to restore lost information.

Still there are small artifacts, but it still the early version and it is still far from an ideal. Work proceeds. I will present the new version of algorithm of NeuralSpline2 soon.

The demo of the version isn't present because there is no time for it, though I understand that it would be need to have it.

If you have interesting tests, I can show work of my algorithm to listen to critical remarks which are necessary for me.

Last edited by NeuralSpline; 1st June 2012 at 05:40.
Old 31st May 2012, 17:57   #94  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

It's interesting that your algorithm is also using a trained neural network. My impression about how your algorithm works was quite different. So it seems your algorithm is somewhat similar in its concept compared to NNEDI3? What I can say is that NNEDI3 switches to Bicubic for some parts of the image. It does that to save performance, but without that switch to Bicubic, NNEDI3 would produce quite bad (artificial) looking grass.

Ok, if you're interested, I've marked a few problem areas in your image. For your comparison, here is NNEDI3 compared to your algorithm:

NNEDI3: http://madshi.net/biglighthouseNNEDI3.png
NeuralSpline2: http://madshi.net/lighthouse_x4.jpg

Let me comment on the "red circles" I've drawn into your image:

(1) NNEDI3 is clean here (although soft), while your algorithm shows artifacts.
(2) Same here.
(3) The thickness of the "dark lines" is not stable with your algorithm. It's more stable with NNEDI3, but of course NNEDI3 is once again much softer.
(4) There appear to be diagonal geometrical structures (in both directions) in your image.
(5) The window bar goes a bit zig-zag, it's not a straight line. It looks a bit better (but softer) in the NNEDI3 image.
(6) Your algorithm tries to find hard lines in the left dark part of the vertical wood slats, which are not correct/natural.

Not sure if that is of any help.
Old 31st May 2012, 21:57   #95  |  Link
NeuralSpline

Thanks, madshi!

My algorithm is the solve inverse task and is adjusted on minimum RMSE. Where I can learn about algorithm NNEDI3?

point 1 will be solve soon, it is a shortcoming because of not final of algorithm.
point 2, 5 and 6 my algorithm very sensitive to texture and here algorithm tries to find something. Probably, noise is the reason for that. NNEDI3 isn't so sensitive to texture and isn't so sensitive to noise. I dont know where optimum value of sensitivity.
point 4 - yes, it it is possible to see on a grass, it mean that in a small window details at an angle 45 and 0 degrees are most appreciable, intermediate corners mask. This problem isn't solved with sensitivity because of increase of artifacts, it is physical limit. But i think about.
point 5 is a real problem it is necessary to think... while there is no idea how to allocate such areas that for them to look for the optimum decision.

I hope in the final version the majority of problems it will be solved.
Old 31st May 2012, 22:25   #96  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

NNEDI3 is an AviSynth filter which is available with source code licenced under the GPL here:

http://web.missouri.edu/~kes25c/
Old 8th June 2012, 09:02   #97  |  Link
tritical

I've actually been working on nnedi4 for a while... it makes some changes to the prescreener/predictor network architectures of nnedi3. I've also been working on a supervised deconvolution filter called nnsharpen which uses a neural network to undo different types of distortions such as Gaussian blur, square blur, circular blur, and the blurring associated with different types of downsizing and then enlargement by nnedi4. It can work in gamma corrected or linear light. I've put example images up at http://bengal.missouri.edu/~kes25c/nnedi4/. Here is a 4x enlargement of the original lighthouse image: http://bengal.missouri.edu/~kes25c/n...nsharpen-3.png. Since the deconvolution filter is supervised it requires the user to pick the appropriate distortion type and strength.

Last edited by tritical; 8th June 2012 at 09:05.
tritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 10:03   #98  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Hi tritical,

hmmmmm... I'm not totally sure whether I prefer NNEDI3 or NNEDI4. I can see some improvements in NNEDI4, e.g. the bottom roof line of the left house in lh_4x is noticeably better with NNEDI4 compared to NNEDI3. But then there are also cases where NNEDI3 looks better to me. E.g. the fonts in the "parking" image look clearly better to me with NNEDI3. The castle looks better (less artifacts) with NNEDI4 again. I had those horizontal weave artifacts with NNEDI3 there, which NNEDI4 doesn't seem to have, anymore. But then probably the parameters you're using are different from those I were using? So I'm not sure if the improvements in the castle image are due to algorithm improvements or due to different parameters?

The NNEDI4 big lighthouse with sharpening to me seems to have an overall comparable quality to NeuralSpline2's image. NeuralSpline is able to get some edges better and also is able to get many edges *very* sharp, but it also shows more artifacts, which is a significant disadvantage. It seems to me, though, that your nnsharpen algorithm tends to add a quite noticeable amount of ringing to the image (easily visible in "parking" and "castle"). I think you really need to work on that. Maybe a simple delimiting as used by LimitedSharpen as a post processing step would help?

> Since the deconvolution filter is supervised it requires the
> user to pick the appropriate distortion type and strength.

Will that stay this way for the final version? That would mean that nnsharpen will mostly be useful for video reencoding where people can play with the settings to find the optimal parameters for every movie. It would not be as useful for real life playback situations (where users generally don't tend to adjust settings all the time)? Or what do you think?

Thanks!
Old 8th June 2012, 18:24   #99  |  Link
tritical

Differences between nnedi3 and nnedi4 are due to algorithm changes, the parameters are exactly the same. The major changes were actually in the prescreener (mainly speed related), not in the predictor so there isn't a lot of difference between nnedi3/nnedi4 in terms of actual output. However, in all of the objective tests I've performed nnedi4 always beats nnedi3 in terms of ssim/mae/mse/gradient-similarity. Personally, I either prefer nnedi4 over nnedi3 or am indifferent in all of these images. On the parking image I actually prefer nnedi4 if I had to choose one.

On the ringing, it is mainly a matter of which downsampling method the deconvolution is based on. I can generate an nnsharpen'd version of the castle image with much less ringing (by assuming lanczos3, lanczos4, etc... downsample instead of box average downsample), but it is noticeably less sharp in other areas of the picture. Since the small castle image already has a good amount of ringing it is likely that a sharp kernel was used somewhere in the process of getting it to that size. However, for all of these enlargements I simply tried out all of the downsampling choices and picked the one I thought looked best. Others might prefer a different setting. It also might be possible to get better results using traditional sharpening methods, but I have not tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi
Will that stay this way for the final version? That would mean that nnsharpen will mostly be useful for video reencoding where people can play with the settings to find the optimal parameters for every movie. It would not be as useful for real life playback situations (where users generally don't tend to adjust settings all the time)? Or what do you think?
This is an issue for any filter (denoise, sharpen, etc..) with parameters isn't it? Best you can do is choose defaults that work alright for most cases.

Last edited by tritical; 8th June 2012 at 18:32.
tritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 18:54   #100  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritical View Post
This is an issue for any filter (denoise, sharpen, etc..) with parameters isn't it? Best you can do is choose defaults that work alright for most cases.
Originally you said "it requires the user to pick the appropriate distortion type and strength". That sounded as if nnsharpen wouldn't work well at all if the user doesn't pick the right parameters. If it is possible to set "defaults that work alright for most cases" for nnsharpen, then there should be no problem.