Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video

Old 11th April 2012, 17:00   #1  |  Link
deathtical

Just a quick question about capture...

I had a quick look at the analog guide and it is very informative but I had some questions since the guide is showing it's age. Here's what I have...

CPU: Core i5 2nd Gen
RAM: 8Gb
Video Card: ATI HD6950
The HDD I will use: WD Black 1Tb

What I'm trying to do. I finally centralized all my storage into a WHS2011 and I have some old laser discs I want to encode and put on the server so I can share them with all the other PCs in the house and also keep them backed up. I was wondering if you could recommend a good capture device (was looking at http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...mat=4#feedback) and a good app for the capture.

And before anyone asks... this is for private/personal viewing only. The titles I want to encode are not available on any other media (ie: VHS, DVD, BluRay) or I would have picked them up. I have already encoded DVDs and BluRays before but am not sure how to approach the laser discs.

Thanks.
deathtical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 20:29   #2  |  Link
Asmodian

I don't think that is really a very good capture device but it is hard to find a reasonably priced high quality analog capture device that has drivers for Windows 7 x64. I have liked my Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro but it also enables HD capture from HDMI and is ~13.5 times the price.

I like VirtualDub for capture software.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2012, 23:24   #3  |  Link
deathtical

I'm not really worried about the price. The one I was really looking at was ADVC-55. Just seeing that one on mono reminded me that I wanted to get these laser discs done. But the one you posted looks nice too. Just not sure when I would use all it's features as I don't really capture HD content and I rip my DVDs and BluRays. But nice suggestion none the less. I tried using VD in the past but was a little overwhelmed with all the options. Maybe I'll give it another look now that I've had a little more practice with converting files.

Old 14th April 2012, 21:31   #4  |  Link
Asmodian

From what I can find the ADVC-55 (and the others like it) capture to DV which is a lossy video codec. I like being able to capture lossless and convert to H.264 rather than capture lossy and do two lossy compressions.

That said DV is a lot better than mpeg2 as an intermediate capture format and probably won't damage your video too much.

Good Luck.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 14:00   #5  |  Link
deathtical

Thanks. At least I have a better place to start now. Now I have have to decide what to craigslist so I can get the capture card/device .