Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 18th November 2011, 22:46   #7121  |  Link
VipZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Way too messy.
Thanks, guessed as much. Think it would be quite rare for a video to stress a single core of a SB CPU

Which deinterlacing would take precedence if NV12 to EVR is used with YADIF selected?
Old 18th November 2011, 23:44   #7122  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Hi,

http://files.1f0.de/lavf/LAVFilters-...7-g121fb24.zip

This build adds support for YADIF deinterlacing.
I have tested it quite a bit already, and it seems stable enough - however i cannot shake the feeling that i'm missing something.

Limitations:
- It only works on YUV 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 (8-bit only) (before output conversion)
- It does not work with the CUVID decoder (why would you want to anyway?)
YADIF 2x (i.e. with frame doubling)?

Also, is this 32-bit only?

Last edited by DragonQ; 18th November 2011 at 23:52.
DragonQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 23:55   #7123  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

BIG day for LAV Video

Your implementation of avfilter is so clean, me likes. Using Yadif already, will report any problems. Very good perfomance in seeks. So far the only issue I see is that it requires a video restart (or the repeat function of MPC) to apply the changes in the output mode (same/double framerate), pressing the apply button doesn't work.

And now that I'm "suffering" this, a nice feature for the future would be configurable keyboard shortcuts to enable/disable stuff on the fly ala ffdshow, without having to open the properties page all the time.

EDIT:

- It's me or LAV does a better job at yadif than ffdshow? I have to test and compare more, but quality seems a lot better in some places like fast horizontal letters in DVB commercials. It looks way better than ATI's VA deinterlacing to my eyes, while ffdshow looks worse.
- It seems that there is no way to completely disable deinterlacing. If Yadif is off, hardware takes over. There was an option to send flags downstream (on/off), right? This is needed to avoid deinterlacing on samples that are properly flagged as interlaced but the content is actually progressive, like in most DVB movies here.
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.

Last edited by STaRGaZeR; 19th November 2011 at 00:40.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 00:42   #7124  |  Link
linzki

Quote:
Hi,

http://files.1f0.de/lavf/LAVFilters-...7-g121fb24.zip

This build adds support for YADIF deinterlacing.
I have tested it quite a bit already, and it seems stable enough - however i cannot shake the feeling that i'm missing something.

Limitations:
- It only works on YUV 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 (8-bit only) (before output conversion)
- It does not work with the CUVID decoder (why would you want to anyway?)

Please give it a try, and if anything goes wrong, report the problems.
Thanks a lot Nevcairiel. Now it's working
linzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 03:08   #7125  |  Link
Mikey2

What is the difference between "LAV Splitter" and "LAV Splitter Source" ?

I cannot find anything in my research, and I have switched between the two multiple times and I do not see any differences.
Mikey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 05:29   #7126  |  Link
jmone

It is two versions of the splitter, but one includes a "Source Filter", the other will connect to the std Source Filter already on you PC as a part of the std windows install.
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 08:01   #7127  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
YADIF 2x (i.e. with frame doubling)?
Frame doubling is really the wrong term for that.
The two modes work like this:

- Create one frame for every field (results in 50 or 60 fps)
- Create one frame for every 2 fields (results in 25 or 30 fps)

It doesn't double anything, it just takes all of the original information and creates frames from that.
This means it keeps the full temporal resolution.

Anyway, yes its supported, in the small YADIF box set output to 50/60p (which is the default)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
Also, is this 32-bit only?
64-bit is supported just fine, the test build i provided is 32-bit only, though.

The release will be 32 and 64, as always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
So far the only issue I see is that it requires a video restart (or the repeat function of MPC) to apply the changes in the output mode (same/double framerate), pressing the apply button doesn't work.
Making the apply button work with every setting is not a big priority. For some settings it would be easier then for others though, so maybe i can enable it for some.
For this particular feature, seeking should re-initialize it too.

Quote:
- It's me or LAV does a better job at yadif than ffdshow? I have to test and compare more, but quality seems a lot better in some places like fast horizontal letters in DVB commercials. It looks way better than ATI's VA deinterlacing to my eyes, while ffdshow looks worse.
I noticed that scrolling texts looked really good, which did surprise me as well. NVIDIAs HW deinterlacing still looked better on other kind of content, though. I didn't compare to ffdshow.

Quote:
- It seems that there is no way to completely disable deinterlacing. If Yadif is off, hardware takes over. There was an option to send flags downstream (on/off), right? This is needed to avoid deinterlacing on samples that are properly flagged as interlaced but the content is actually progressive, like in most DVB movies here.
Is that really an required option?
I removed it because its so easy to mess the configuration up and get interlacing artifacts, while running a deinterlacer on progressive content is only a minor issue. I can re-add the option, i suppose.

DVB is really constantly messed up, eh. Interlaced content flagged progressive, progressive content flagged interlaced....

Last edited by nevcairiel; 19th November 2011 at 08:19.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 14:10   #7128  |  Link
STaRGaZeR

Quote:
Making the apply button work with every setting is not a big priority. For some settings it would be easier then for others though, so maybe i can enable it for some.
For this particular feature, seeking should re-initialize it too.
Yep, seeking reinits it.

Quote:
I noticed that scrolling texts looked really good, which did surprise me as well. NVIDIAs HW deinterlacing still looked better on other kind of content, though. I didn't compare to ffdshow.
The funny thing is that ffdshow uses vanilla ffmpeg's yadif filter_line and related functions, but multithreading and other stuff are custom. 100% vanilla really looks better, and awesome overall, dunno why.

Quote:
Is that really an required option?
I removed it because its so easy to mess the configuration up and get interlacing artifacts, while running a deinterlacer on progressive content is only a minor issue. I can re-add the option, i suppose.

DVB is really constantly messed up, eh. Interlaced content flagged progressive, progressive content flagged interlaced....
Indeed it is. PAL DVDs are the same, and with SD content quality suffers, quite a bit more than with HD. This can be easily managed with an option to disable hardware deinterlacing like LAV previously had (we already have the Yadif one), and shortcuts to enable/disable them fast on the fly as the content requires it. It's unfortunately the only way as the filter doesn't know the actual nature of the content, only humans can do that.
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
Old 19th November 2011, 14:14   #7129  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Indeed it is. PAL DVDs are the same, and with SD content quality suffers, quite a bit more than with HD. This can be easily managed with an option to disable hardware deinterlacing like LAV previously had (we already have the Yadif one), and shortcuts to enable/disable them fast on the fly as the content requires it. It's unfortunately the only way as the filter doesn't know the actual nature of the content, only humans can do that.
I can surely reintroduce the option, however regarding keyboard shortcuts - i'm somewhat hesitant to add those. For one there is no clear way to give feedback to the user that the key was pressed and received, except if i add some sort of OSD - secondly, i would really prefer such things be handled by the player, not some filter it happens to use (like thats going to happen, huh?)

It would probably also need some kind of configuration for the shortcuts, all alot of work for broken content.
I'll think about it, but don't expect keyboard shortcuts soon.

If anyone wants to contribute a component that takes keyboard shortcuts and changes the options on the fly, feel free.

PS:
If you happen to use madVR, it has shortcuts to disable its hardware deinterlacing.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 19th November 2011 at 14:18.
Old 19th November 2011, 15:23   #7130  |  Link
Mercury_22

Your filters have made WMC a viable player / option so adding keyboard shortcuts (to be used with a remote control) for changing (turning on / off) audio and subtitles will definitely make WMC my preferred player ( cause whatever other may say WMC has a very good and nice interface) for my HTPC
Old 19th November 2011, 15:33   #7131  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury_22 View Post
Your filters have made WMC a viable player
Damn, how i hate myself now.
Old 19th November 2011, 16:35   #7132  |  Link
STaRGaZeR

Quote:
I can surely reintroduce the option, however regarding keyboard shortcuts - i'm somewhat hesitant to add those. For one there is no clear way to give feedback to the user that the key was pressed and received, except if i add some sort of OSD - secondly, i would really prefer such things be handled by the player, not some filter it happens to use (like thats going to happen, huh?)

It would probably also need some kind of configuration for the shortcuts, all alot of work for broken content.
I'll think about it, but don't expect keyboard shortcuts soon.

If anyone wants to contribute a component that takes keyboard shortcuts and changes the options on the fly, feel free.

PS:
If you happen to use madVR, it has shortcuts to disable its hardware deinterlacing.
The feedback issue is a tough one. In ffdshow the OSD is just a subtitle, passed to the subtitle filter. Maybe when you do something about issue 137

Regarding the never ending debate of where to put features, yadif and any other option that is LAV specific has no place in the player, renderer, etc. IMHO.

I don't use madVR, nor HW deinterlacing unfortunately.

BTW I just tested some filters in LAV. Deband works just fine (needs gcc > 4.6.2) but unsharp is slow as molasses as it lacks SIMD optimizations, unusable for real time playback.
Old 19th November 2011, 17:11   #7133  |  Link
linzki

I use ffdshow's unsharp all the time and with LAV's latest filters and MadVR it works perfectly.

I have all queue options set on max in MadVR and they stay full.

---------
specs: Intel core 2 quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz, 4Gb ram, GeForce GTX 460, Windows 7 32-bit and Acer
H5360 projector
linzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 17:19   #7134  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzki View Post
I use ffdshow's unsharp all the time and with LAV's latest filters and MadVR it works perfectly.

I have all queue options set on max in MadVR and they stay full.

---------
specs: Intel core 2 quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz, 4Gb ram, GeForce GTX 460, Windows 7 32-bit and Acer
H5360 projector
Noone was talking about ffdshow here, though.
Old 19th November 2011, 18:31   #7135  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
unsharp is slow as molasses as it lacks SIMD optimizations, unusable for real time playback.
is it the same filter as ffdshows unsharp mask? would be great if speed could be improved then, I still use for all my HD stuff, because my screen size is not 1080p.

then I could finally ditch ffdshow for good
Old 19th November 2011, 18:33   #7136  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

There are certain priorities here, and improving the speed of ffmpegs post-processing filters is not high on the list. Hey, right now i won't even offer them.
Old 19th November 2011, 18:36   #7137  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

hm by reading that statement from stargazer I thought you had already integrated it. I guess he was refering to unsharp mask in ffdshow then in combination with lav video?
Old 19th November 2011, 18:37   #7138  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Quote:
BTW I just tested some filters in LAV. Deband works just fine (needs gcc > 4.6.2) but unsharp is slow as molasses as it lacks SIMD optimizations, unusable for real time playback.
in LAV? These are some up & coming features or what? I hopes Nev doesn't plans to add crappy ffdshow's deband...
Keiyakusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2011, 18:50   #7139  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

You should all stop with the assumptions.
I'm not copying anything from ffdshow, and i'm not yet adding any processing other then yadif.
If you know how to modify code however, the (crude draft of a) infrastructure is now there to use libavfilter filters.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 19th November 2011 at 19:33.
Old 19th November 2011, 19:01   #7140  |  Link
Gleb Egorych

nevcairiel,

Tested 0.39-47 and can confirm:
1. Hang bug is fixed.
2. Black screen bug is fixed too.

Thanks for your great work!
Gleb Egorych is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter