Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 10th October 2011, 14:20   #301  |  Link
LaTo
LaTo INV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven_x View Post
It throws a few exceptions when parameters cross a certain range. LaTo, can you please have a look at this effect?
OK, what SmoothCurve's call throws an exception?
LaTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 16:16   #302  |  Link
sven_x

Failure in my script.
It must be checked that the combined offsetsRGB + offset R,G,B will not reach certain limits (not below 0, not above 255, not bigger as the point offsets of point P0 and P1.
sven_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 17:02   #303  |  Link
LaTo
LaTo INV.

Update 2011/10/12

Quote:
v2.00 prere:
fixed a bug with TVrange
added grid in debug view
Download here: > SmoothAdjust v2.00 prerelease <

Old 13th October 2011, 17:10   #304  |  Link
Dogway

Thanks for the update!
Could you make for next version limiter=2 be an active parameter? Sometimes I like to add smoothlevels(limiter=2) at the end of my script to save bits for encoding.

Also could you allow ecenter for lmode 2 and 3? So we can choose what darks or what brights we want to bring back?

Also when using show=true in 16 bit version it could possibly be a good idea to stack a black clip below with same height, so we don't need to comment out ditherpost to see the full screen

Last edited by Dogway; 13th October 2011 at 17:14.
Dogway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 17:21   #305  |  Link
TheSkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogway View Post
Sometimes I like to add smoothlevels(limiter=2) at the end of my script to save bits for encoding.
Doesn't AviSynth's internal Limiter() do exactly that? It clips anything that is not in the 16-235 range for luma and 16-240 range for chroma.
Hm, while we're at it, if I use SmoothLevels(preset="pc2tv") does it convert full range input (luma and chroma both 0-255) to 16-240 for chroma and luma to 16-235?

Last edited by TheSkiller; 13th October 2011 at 17:31.
TheSkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 17:26   #306  |  Link
Dogway

Thanks TheSkiller, nice to know that, although at the same time Im wondering if x264 trash out of TVrange values when encoding in this range, or is only a display flag.
About SmoothLevels(preset="pc2tv"), yes it converts both, you can turn chroma=0 so only luma is processed.
My concern is when TVrange is slightly off and I want to fine tune it. So I switched to manual mode but:

SmoothLevels(preset="tv2pc")
has a different chroma than:
SmoothLevels16(16,1.0,235,0,255)

edit: no problem : ) tv2pc uses chroma=84 as default

Last edited by Dogway; 13th October 2011 at 17:29.
Old 13th October 2011, 19:58   #307  |  Link
LaTo
LaTo INV.

Quote:
Thanks for the update!
Could you make for next version limiter=2 be an active parameter? Sometimes I like to add smoothlevels(limiter=2) at the end of my script to save bits for encoding.
As TheSkiller said, use avisynth's Limiter()

Quote:
Also could you allow ecenter for lmode 2 and 3? So we can choose what darks or what brights we want to bring back?
Use "Lmode=1,BrightSTR=0" for Lmode=2 and "Lmode=1,DarkSTR=0" for Lmode=3.
Like that you can tune Ecenter.

Quote:
Also when using show=true in 16 bit version it could possibly be a good idea to stack a black clip below with same height, so we don't need to comment out ditherpost to see the full screen
Hum, I don't know... This will add problem for people who doesn't use ditherpost.
Old 13th October 2011, 20:54   #308  |  Link
Dogway

-Yes, I didn't know of Limiter() existence I will use that.
-Yes I compared Lmode 3 with Lmode 1 tweaking ecenter and brightstr and darkstr. But still lmode 3 prevents more brightening on brights than using lmode 1 brightstr=0 and ecenter at 20 for example (which is a very extreme value), check yourself please.. At the moment there is no possiblity to limit dark brightening further down to the darks (same with brights).
-People who don't use ditherpost won't likely use smoothXX16()
These are open suggestions based on daily use so you can improve the plugin
Old 14th October 2011, 19:11   #309  |  Link
LaTo
LaTo INV.

Quote:
-Yes I compared Lmode 3 with Lmode 1 tweaking ecenter and brightstr and darkstr. But still lmode 3 prevents more brightening on brights than using lmode 1 brightstr=0 and ecenter at 20 for example (which is a very extreme value), check yourself please.. At the moment there is no possiblity to limit dark brightening further down to the darks (same with brights).
As I said, you can emulate Lmode=2 & 3 with Lmode=1.

Lmode=2 is the same as: "Lmode=1,BrightSTR=0,Ecenter=255"
Lmode=3 is the same as: "Lmode=1,DarkSTR=0,Ecenter=0"
Old 16th October 2011, 19:16   #310  |  Link
Dogway

ah well, that makes sense. So the darkest darks that can be brightened are indeed lmode=3, which equals to ecenter=0 in lmode=1. That means that with lmode=1 from ecenter=0 you can only go "worse", in terms of you can only go up brightening more towards brights, and not the opposite, limiting more the darks, which was my original intention. Not too worried about it, I don't need it in any specific situation, just wondering and suggesting.
Old 24th October 2011, 11:02   #311  |  Link
LaTo
LaTo INV.

Quote:
ah well, that makes sense. So the darkest darks that can be brightened are indeed lmode=3, which equals to ecenter=0 in lmode=1. That means that with lmode=1 from ecenter=0 you can only go "worse", in terms of you can only go up brightening more towards brights, and not the opposite, limiting more the darks, which was my original intention. Not too worried about it, I don't need it in any specific situation, just wondering and suggesting.
In this case you should try to play with BrightSTR
Old 24th October 2011, 20:28   #312  |  Link
Dogway

Something like BrightSTR=200 (...)? It looks like it works (limits the brights further). I always had the notion it was a 0-100 parameter.
I was a bit confused because in the debug screen using lmode=3 for example, has different darkstr and ecenter than using its lmode=1 counterpart, although the result is the same. If lmode 2 and 3 are indeed lmode 1 shortcuts, wouldn't make more sense to unify the debug outputs? so probably it is easier to read and understand. Unless lmode 2 and 3 do things lmode 1 can't, that is...
The name is also confusing dark strength instead of dark limiting or something, I always need to look twice to make sure what I am doing. yikes
Old 6th November 2011, 22:00   #313  |  Link
LaTo
LaTo INV.

Update 2011/11/06

Quote:
v2.00:
added Avisynth 2.6.x support
added Y8, YV411, YV16, YV24 support
added 16bits support with stacked MSB/LSB
added SmoothCustom filter
added TVrange parameter
added AVX optimization

improved smoothing algorithm
improved debug view
improved startup delay
improved speed with smoothing OFF

added decimals support in SmoothCurve
fixed interp scaling in SmoothCurve
changed defaults in SmoothLevels
fixed gamma clamping bug in SmoothLevels

fixed crash with mod4 clip
fixed freeze in debug view
deleted Smode parameter
switched from ICL11 to ICL12
cleaned a lot the code
updated the documentation

Finally, here is the final version 2.00 after more than six months of development. It only contains minors fixes and documentation update since the prerelease.
With version 2.00 the plugin has made ​​a lot of quality, speed and functionality improvement.
It has been a lot of work and I hope this plugin will be useful to many people.

Now I will try to focus a bit on my avisynth scripts to update them a little. Then I will spend my time on other ideas for new filters.
So SmoothAdjust will be put a little aside but I still have some ideas of improvements, no worry.

Also my main PC has died from surges, but fortunately the hard drives and data are intact. I work now with an old mono-core CPU.
This issue gave me the idea to set up possibility to make donations, all the necessary informations are in the zip archive.
If you often use this plugin and you like it, please feel free to consider donating. It's really fast, easy and secure.

This will help me a lot to find time to continue updating and creating plugins during my free time.
In fact after my job change, I now have much less free time, that's why the latest versions of development have been so slow to come out.

The zip archive is in the first post of this thread.
Please feel free to give me your comments and ideas for further development.
Happy Version 2.00

edit: @Dogway: this version will output stacked MSB/LSB clip with show=true in 16 bits filters

Last edited by LaTo; 6th November 2011 at 22:02.
Old 6th November 2011, 22:41   #314  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTo View Post
I hope this plugin will be useful to many people.
It is, TYVM for your efforts

Personally, I'd love a plugin version of GrainFactory3(actually I slightly modified it in order to specify grain patterns)
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 23:49   #315  |  Link
Dogway

Thanks for that and the final version.
Maybe for future versions you might want to have a look at saturation and probably add Vibrance as in a recent thread to round it up, not that I need it, I already wrapped a vibrance function with lsb support.

For "new" filters what it'd be very very cool if you could have a look at stabilise, its a wonder plugin but very old and under-developed. Despite it could not fill your motivation, but asking just in case hehe

Last edited by Dogway; 7th November 2011 at 00:01.
Old 7th November 2011, 12:45   #316  |  Link
TheSkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTo View Post
It has been a lot of work and I hope this plugin will be useful to many people.
For me it absolutely is, I couldn't live without SmoothLevels anymore.
Thanks for your great efforts on this.
TheSkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 22:23   #317  |  Link
Yellow_

hi, I have a 16 point curve in a text file for a LOG to LIN (scale not linear light) adjustment, can I use it with SmoothCurve or SmoothCustom?
Yellow_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 21:13   #318  |  Link
LaTo
LaTo INV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_ View Post
hi, I have a 16 point curve in a text file for a LOG to LIN (scale not linear light) adjustment, can I use it with SmoothCurve or SmoothCustom?
Yes, should be OK.
Old 4th July 2012, 14:04   #319  |  Link
Yellow_

If I understand correctly tools like After Effects map an 8bit source into 32bit, centering 8bit level 0 at 0.5000 in the 0.0000 - 1.0000 range. is this possible with SmoothAdjust?

**EDIT** Sorry to clarify this was for the 16bit stacked functions

Last edited by Yellow_; 4th July 2012 at 14:42.
Yellow_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 22:33   #320  |  Link
stoffal

Coming back to post #63 :
Is there some kind of auto mode included in smoothlevels?
Something similar to autolevels?
stoffal is offline   Reply With Quote