Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 11th June 2011, 00:14   #12201  |  Link
jdobbs

@Capsbackup

I'll take a look at the code and see if I may be somehow counting those files.
Old 11th June 2011, 00:19   #12202  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
@Capsbackup

I'll take a look at the code and see if I may be somehow counting those files.
I realize on a BD25 this amount would be inconsequential, but on a BD5/9, trying to "squeeze" every last MB could make a difference to someone.

Thanks for shortening this post for me, selected the wrong quotes code..
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 00:30   #12203  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
I realize on a BD25 this amount would be inconsequential, but on a BD5/9, trying to "squeeze" every last MB could make a difference to someone.

Thanks for shortening this post for me, selected the wrong quotes code..
It looks like it is working properly and any folders other than BDMV and CERTIFICATE is ignores... were there any files in the ROOT folder?
Old 11th June 2011, 00:40   #12204  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
It looks like it is working properly and any folders other than BDMV and CERTIFICATE is ignores... were there any files in the ROOT folder?
The only files / folders were BDMV, CERTIFICATE, and the above mentioned extra folders. The backup did only keep the BDMV , CERTIFICATE and PS3_DISC.SFB, but this file is only 1.5kb.

From the above log, the only change was the input source size, which went from 21.09GB to 20.92GB. What got my attention was the higher bitrates for test 2, which was 221 kbps higher for the main movie than test 1, with only the additional folders removed!

Last edited by Capsbackup; 11th June 2011 at 01:00.
Old 11th June 2011, 02:18   #12205  |  Link
Ichinisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Fenderson View Post
It hasn't yet been implemented, potential future feature.
I can de-select audio, but I can't blank the video? Damn. It's the only feature I really want. Is there a technical reason it can't blank out the unwanted video (trailers and such) to save space?

That would be the best way to fit many BD-50 movies on BD-25. Useless trailers and such can take up a lot of space and time to re-encode.

Is there an alternative that can do it? I thought BD-Rebuilder let me do it back when I made a Beauty and the Beast backup without re-encoding, but I guess all I did was remove the audio.

Last edited by Ichinisan; 11th June 2011 at 02:24.
Ichinisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 02:49   #12206  |  Link
A.Fenderson

Quote:
The only files / folders were BDMV, CERTIFICATE, and the above mentioned extra folders. The backup did only keep the BDMV , CERTIFICATE and PS3_DISC.SFB, but this file is only 1.5kb.

From the above log, the only change was the input source size, which went from 21.09GB to 20.92GB. What got my attention was the higher bitrates for test 2, which was 221 kbps higher for the main movie than test 1, with only the additional folders removed!
I had a similar experience previously, and after a bit more info back and forth, jdobbs suggested I check my config file and make sure that BDMV_CERT_ONLY=1 was set--and then I seem to have totally spaced out on that and didn't do it, but then again I was setting the option in the GUI, not the config, and only manually edited my config file once (for something unrelated), I think a few versions prior to the incident in question, and never carry them over. Anyway, might be worth checking.
A.Fenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 07:45   #12207  |  Link
dfsooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichinisan View Post
I can de-select audio, but I can't blank the video? Damn. It's the only feature I really want. Is there a technical reason it can't blank out the unwanted video (trailers and such) to save space?

That would be the best way to fit many BD-50 movies on BD-25. Useless trailers and such can take up a lot of space and time to re-encode.

Is there an alternative that can do it? I thought BD-Rebuilder let me do it back when I made a Beauty and the Beast backup without re-encoding, but I guess all I did was remove the audio.
I use Clown_BD BD Copier to remove trailers, warnings, etc. It can be a little tricky sometimes and takes some effort, but it's worth it.
dfsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 14:08   #12208  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:

Do a movie-only backup -- then you get it without any extras. That feature (when implemented) is meant to allow you to keep some and remove others while retaining the menu.
Old 11th June 2011, 15:25   #12209  |  Link
Capsbackup

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Fenderson View Post
I had a similar experience previously, and after a bit more info back and forth, jdobbs suggested I check my config file and make sure that BDMV_CERT_ONLY=1 was set--and then I seem to have totally spaced out on that and didn't do it, but then again I was setting the option in the GUI, not the config, and only manually edited my config file once (for something unrelated), I think a few versions prior to the incident in question, and never carry them over. Anyway, might be worth checking.
By setting "Keep only BDMV/CERTIFICATE folders" in the GUI setup page, then "BDMV_CERT_ONLY=1" is set in the configuration file. I can confirm this was set for this test.
My suspicion was that though only the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders were kept in the backup, the size (MB) of the additional folders was not being subtracted so as to allow for this space that is saved by having "BDMV_CERT_ONLY=1" selected to be added back to be available for the video files to be reencoded.
Old 11th June 2011, 19:17   #12210  |  Link
A.Fenderson

Quote:
My suspicion was that though only the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders were kept in the backup, the size (MB) of the additional folders was not being subtracted so as to allow for this space that is saved by having "BDMV_CERT_ONLY=1" selected to be added back to be available for the video files to be reencoded.
That's precisely what happened to me previously.

I wanted to figure this out, and so reproduced it today as below:

Before doing anything, I took a random m2ts file that was bonus material on a BD, and used tsmuxer to create a BD structure around it. The resulting BD structure was 344MB. The root directory of this shall be known as "testBD".

Control test:
0. "uninstall"/delete existing BD_Rebuilder program directory.
1. "install"/unzip BD_Rebuilder program directory from latest beta (BD-RBV03803.zip). Ran inspect.exe: all "OK."
2. Run BD-RB and change settings as below:
* set "Keep BDMV/CERTIFICATE folders"
* set custom target size to 400 in Setup menu
* set Output Options > Custom Target Size (400MB)
NOTE: No other settings changes whatsoever were made via GUI, and config file was never opened or edited.
3. Pointed the Source Path to the BD structure I had created (testBD), and pointed the Working Path to ...\TESTBDOUT1.
4. Clicked "Backup" button: the rebuild began and quickly successfully completed with no reported errors/problems.
Log:
Code:
-----------------------
[12:36:15] BD Rebuilder v0.38.03 (beta)
  - Source:  TESTBD
  - Input BD size: 0.34 GB
  - Approximate total content: [00:02:48.768]
  - Target BD size: 0.39 GB
  - Windows Version: 5.1 [2600]
  - Auto Quality: Good (Very Fast), ABR
  - Audio Settings: AC3=1 DTS=1 HD=0 Kbs=640
[12:36:15] PHASE ONE, Encoding
 - [12:36:15] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00000]
 - [12:36:39] Reencoding: VID_00000 (1 of 1)
 - [12:36:39] Collecting video information
 - [12:36:39] Keeping original video (no reencode)
 - [12:36:39] Reencoding audio tracks (if req'd)
 - [12:36:48] Multiplexing M2TS
[12:37:12]PHASE ONE complete
[12:37:12]PHASE TWO - Rebuild Started
 - [12:37:12] Rebuilding BD file Structure
[12:37:12] - Encode and Rebuild complete
[12:37:12]JOB: TESTBD finished.
Experimental test 1:
Before beginning this test, I dropped a 13GB m2ts file directly into the root directory of the BD structure (testBD), so the file itself sits right alongside the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders of my test source structure.

1. "install"/unzip BD_Rebuilder program directory from latest beta (BD-RBV03803.zip).
NOTE: No other settings changes whatsoever were made via GUI, and config file was never opened or edited.
3. Pointed the Source Path to the BD structure I had created (testBD), and pointed the Working Path to ...\TESTBDOUT2.
4. Clicked "Backup" button: got popup "Target is too small to continue."
Log:
Code:
-----------------------
[12:44:59] BD Rebuilder v0.38.03 (beta)
  - Input BD size: 13.02 GB
 - Target too small.  Encode stopped.
Experimental test 2:
Before beginning this test, I moved the 13GB m2ts file into a new subdirectory of the root directory of the BD structure (testBD), so the file itself sits in a directory labeled "ps3_update", and this directory sits right alongside the BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders of my test source structure.

1. "install"/unzip BD_Rebuilder program directory from latest beta (BD-RBV03803.zip).
3. Pointed the Source Path to the BD structure I had created (testBD), and pointed the Working Path to ...\TESTBDOUT3.
4. Clicked "Backup" button: got popup "Target is too small to continue."
Log:
Code:
-----------------------
[12:54:00] BD Rebuilder v0.38.03 (beta)
  - Input BD size: 13.02 GB
 - Target too small.  Encode stopped.
Old 11th June 2011, 20:50   #12211  |  Link
jdobbs

@A.Fenderson

I think you must be mixing up what you're doing, because I just did the exact same experiment you did in which a large file is inserted into the root. I get the "Target too small to continue" when BDMV_CERT_ONLY is off -- but it goes away when I set BDMV_CERT_ONLY on, and the job completes successfully. I also tried it with a folder in the root called "JUNK" into which I inserted a large file. It did exactly the same thing (as it was supposed to). I even renamed the folder to "PS3_UPDATE" just to be sure -- same results.

So the bottom line is -- on my computer it is working as it is supposed to.

Where do you have BD Rebuilder installed (what path)? I have to assume that for some reason the "BDMV_CERT_ONLY=1" isn't being asserted in the INI file. Also -- are you saying "Save" after you set the checkbox in SETUP?

Last edited by jdobbs; 11th June 2011 at 20:57.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 21:56   #12212  |  Link
Capsbackup

I agree that all folders named anything other than BDMV and CERTIFICATE are removed. I could only assume the reason the bitrates were approx. 200kbps higher on the exact same backup that only had the extra files removed by me manually, as well the total file size of the backup, were because this additional space was now available for the video files. This is why I posted the two logs showing the total source files and bitrates for each backup.
This is really not a big concern for me, as I usually remember to delete all files from the Anydvd HD rip except BDMV and CERTIFICATE.
Old 11th June 2011, 22:59   #12213  |  Link
A.Fenderson

Quote:
@A.Fenderson

I think you must be mixing up what you're doing, because I just did the exact same experiment you did in which a large file is inserted into the root.
So the bottom line is -- on my computer it is working as it is supposed to.

Where do you have BD Rebuilder installed (what path)? I have to assume that for some reason the "BDMV_CERT_ONLY=1" isn't being asserted in the INI file. Also -- are you saying "Save" after you set the checkbox in SETUP?
I don't doubt that it's working properly on your setup and possibly others, but I was meticulous in the above experiements, and did every step as described, as I was writing the post and documenting everything, to ensure I didn't do anything I forgot to mention, or otherwise.

The BD_Rebuilder folder is on my desktop:
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Desktop\BD_Rebuilder

I am clicking "Save" when exiting the setup menu, as confirmed by the fact that thereafter when I would go to Settings > Output Options > Custom Target Size (400MB) it displayed the custom target size I had entered in the setup menu.

I would conjecture that BDMV_CERT_ONLY=1 is being asserted, due to the below test which I just performed, but that there's some type of (possibly rarely-triggered or otherwise strangely-dependent) bug in the implementation.

Experimental test 3:
Before beginning this test, I moved the 13GB m2ts file completely out of the BD structure (testBD), retained the "ps3_update" folder, and inserted a single, blank file named "file.txt" into this folder.

3. Pointed the Source Path to the BD structure I had created (testBD), and pointed the Working Path to ...\TESTBDOUT4.
4. Clicked "Backup" button: the rebuild proceeded quickly and without incident/error/warning. The resulting rebuild structure contained only BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders: the "ps3_update" folder was not copied over.
Log:
Code:
-----------------------
[16:09:05] BD Rebuilder v0.38.03 (beta)
  - Input BD size: 0.34 GB
[16:09:05] PHASE ONE, Encoding
 - [16:09:05] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00000]
 - [16:09:30] Reencoding: VID_00000 (1 of 1)
 - [16:09:30] Collecting video information
 - [16:09:30] Keeping original video (no reencode)
 - [16:09:30] Reencoding audio tracks (if req'd)
 - [16:09:46] Multiplexing M2TS
[16:10:10]PHASE ONE complete
[16:10:10]PHASE TWO - Rebuild Started
 - [16:10:10] Rebuilding BD file Structure
[16:10:11] - Encode and Rebuild complete
[16:10:11]JOB: TESTBD finished.
As Capsbackup said, it's an easy work-around, and not a big deal, but I absolutely promise you I'm not retarded or delusional.
Old 12th June 2011, 04:53   #12214  |  Link
Ichinisan

Quote:
Do a movie-only backup -- then you get it without any extras. That feature (when implemented) is meant to allow you to keep some and remove others while retaining the menu.
Any idea when / if the blanking feature will be enabled in the near future? I really can't find out what tool I used on my Beauty and the Beast backup. I can't get Clown_BD to work correctly with this one. It always has the descriptive audio track enabled by default and there's no way to preview the audio streams in Clown_BD before starting the [extremely long] process.

Last edited by Ichinisan; 12th June 2011 at 04:58.
Ichinisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 05:10   #12215  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Any idea when / if the blanking feature will be enabled in the near future? I really can't find out what tool I used on my Beauty and the Beast backup. I can't get Clown_BD to work correctly with this one. It always has the descriptive audio track enabled by default and there's no way to preview the audio streams in Clown_BD before starting the [extremely long] process.
No idea. I prioritize bug fixes ahead of feature requests.

Last edited by jdobbs; 12th June 2011 at 05:13.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 07:35   #12216  |  Link
dfsooner

Quote:
Clown_BD only makes a movie-only version without menus.

Clown_BD BD Copier is a separate program which allows you to keep menus and anything else you care to.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Clown_BD_BD_Copier

You'll want to enable mplayer in order to preview specific playlists to determine which ones to eliminate.
Old 13th June 2011, 15:51   #12217  |  Link
colinhunt

jdobbs, has anyone reported a serious audio sync issue when processing a movie-only backup of Japanese releases of Sleepy Hollow and Sky Captain? MediaInfo says Sky Captain is 23.976p and Sleepy Hollow is 29.97p (i.e. not i). No errors during encoding, but audio sync is way way off in the backup. Both movies start with the Japanese distributor's logo animation tacked in the same .M2TS file as the main movie itself, which could be the cause of the issue.
colinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 17:00   #12218  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinhunt View Post
jdobbs, has anyone reported a serious audio sync issue when processing a movie-only backup of Japanese releases of Sleepy Hollow and Sky Captain? MediaInfo says Sky Captain is 23.976p and Sleepy Hollow is 29.97p (i.e. not i). No errors during encoding, but audio sync is way way off in the backup. Both movies start with the Japanese distributor's logo animation tacked in the same .M2TS file as the main movie itself, which could be the cause of the issue.
I haven't seen any reports of issues on them. Not sure how I could test them, as I don't have access to those.
Old 13th June 2011, 23:28   #12219  |  Link
dfsooner

Avatar BD-25 output will not play

Rebuilt from full rip using AnyDVD and Imgburn.

Will not play with TMT3 Platinum.

Tried to load BD-25 output as input source to BD-Rebuilder and got the message "Selected source is not BD format."

Inspect output:

- Windows Version: 6.1 [7601]
- AVISYNTH Version: 2.5.8.0, Ok
- HAALI Splitter: Ok
- FFDSHOW: 3326, Ok
- WIN7 preferred AVC CODEC: Ok
- WIN7 preferred VC-1 CODEC: Ok
- WIN7 preferred MPEG2 CODEC: Ok
- FFDSHOW VC-1 set to "wmv9", Ok
- FFDSHOW MPEG2 set to "libavcodec": Ok
- FFDSHOW AVC set to "libavcodec": Ok
- BD Rebuilder v0.38.0.3, Ok
- X264: Ok
- AFTEN: Ok
- FAAC: Ok
- MP4BOX: Ok
- WAVI: Ok
- TSMUXER: Ok

Logfile:

[09:26:52] BD Rebuilder v0.38.03 (beta)
- Source: RED_BIRD_2D_WW
- Input BD size: 43.17 GB
- Approximate total content: [02:55:01.782]
- Target BD size: 22.95 GB
- Windows Version: 6.1 [7601]
- Quality: High Quality (Default), Two Pass
- Audio Settings: AC3=0 DTS=0 HD=1 Kbs=640
[09:26:59] PHASE ONE, Encoding
- [09:26:59] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00010]
- [09:27:04] Reencoding: VID_00010 (1 of 2)
- [09:27:04] Collecting video information
- Source Video: MPEG-4 (AVC), 1920x1080
- Rate/Length: 23.976fps, 1,056 frames
- [09:27:04] Reencoding: VID_00010, Pass 1 of 1
- [09:27:28] Video Encode complete
- [09:27:28] Reencoding audio tracks (if req'd)
- [09:27:28] Multiplexing M2TS
- [09:27:30] Extracting A/V streams [VID_00002]
- [09:44:19] Reencoding: VID_00002 (2 of 2)
- [09:44:19] Collecting video information
- Source Video: MPEG-4 (AVC), 1920x1080
- Rate/Length: 23.976fps, 232,608 frames
- Bitrate: 11,066 Kbs
- [09:44:19] Reencoding: VID_00002, Pass 1 of 2
- [11:24:11] Reencoding: VID_00002, Pass 2 of 2
- [14:39:20] Video Encode complete
- [14:39:20] Reencoding audio tracks (if req'd)
- [14:39:20] Multiplexing M2TS
[14:49:49]PHASE ONE complete
[14:49:49]PHASE TWO - Rebuild Started
- [14:49:49] Rebuilding BD file Structure
[14:50:00] - Encode and Rebuild complete
[14:50:00]JOB: RED_BIRD_2D_WW finished.

BD_REBUILDER.INI:

[Options]
VERSION=0.38.0.3
MODE=0
ENCODE_QUALITY=2
ONEPASS_ENCODING=0
AUTO_QUALITY=0
TARGET_SIZE=23500
PRIORITY_CLASS=0
AUDIO_TO_KEEP=all
SUBS_TO_KEEP=all
SD_CONVERT=0
OPEN_GOP=0
RESIZE_1080=0
DEINTERLACE=1
SD_TO_1080=0
CONVERT_WIDE=0
DTS_REENCODE=0
AC3_REENCODE=0
AC3_640=1
AC3_192=0
KEEP_HD_AUDIO=1
AVCHD=0
REMOVE_WORKFILES=0
MOVIE_ONLY_LOOP=1
REMOVE_OUTPUT=0
USE_FILTERS=0
BDMV_CERT_ONLY=0
USE_LAVF=0
IVTC_PULLDOWN=1
ASSUME_DVD_PAL=0
AUTO_BLANK=0
AUDIO_TRACK_LIMIT=0
SUBTITLE_TRACK_LIMIT=0
CUSTOM_TARGET_SIZE=23500
[Paths]
WORKING_PATH=D:\BD_REBUILDER WORKFILES\
SOURCE_PATH=G:\

Last edited by dfsooner; 14th June 2011 at 00:08. Reason: Remove unneeded log data
Old 14th June 2011, 01:56   #12220  |  Link
JJB

I"m not sure this is a commercial rip...maybe a download or pre-processed somewhere else? Just try a folder rip from AnyDVD if it is a a bought disc and make sure AnyDVD is up to date as I
remember some early problems with this disc with encryption.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote