Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 2nd June 2011, 13:59   #6181  |  Link
Floatingshed

MeGUI reports an error if any items in the avs script are located on network drives if that drive has not recently been accessed by another application! What's going on there?
Floatingshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 08:21   #6182  |  Link
Alex_080
User of X264

hi Friends
I new to megui. I want to know is it possible to encode a particular portion of a video..mean i want to encode first 15min from 20min video.
Please help.
Alex_080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 13:21   #6183  |  Link
Lighto
The Black Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_080 View Post
hi Friends
I new to megui. I want to know is it possible to encode a particular portion of a video..mean i want to encode first 15min from 20min video.
Please help.
Use AVS Cutter.
http://www.digital-digest.com/articl...ide_page7.html
Lighto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 16:36   #6184  |  Link
Alex_080
User of X264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighto View Post
thanks bro.
Alex_080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 00:05   #6185  |  Link
bazz

ive just updated my MeGUI to 2028, when opening a 720p mkv file
with AVS script creator it now ask which way i want to open the file?
oneclick encoder(i dont like) fileindexer or directshowsource
which one is the better to use on an mkv?

thanks

Last edited by bazz; 6th June 2011 at 00:06. Reason: mistake
bazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 00:06   #6186  |  Link
AMED

Use the file indexer.
Old 6th June 2011, 22:58   #6187  |  Link
rapscallion
NY Frame of Mind

Just curious. If I demux the VC-1 /MP2 video stream, from an early BD, and then re encode the resulting *.m2ts stream w/Megui (using same or higher br as original) will the resulting x264 AVC/MP4 be of higher quality that the original VC-1 ? Logically I would think so, however.....

Last edited by rapscallion; 6th June 2011 at 23:27.
rapscallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 23:06   #6188  |  Link
AMED

the quality will be worse since your using lossy encoding. but i suppose it all depends if your eyes can pick up on it.
Old 6th June 2011, 23:28   #6189  |  Link
rapscallion
NY Frame of Mind

Thanks Amed...wishful thinking on my part
Old 7th June 2011, 08:27   #6190  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

There is usually a difference between "objective quality" (what can be measured or calculated by a computer) and "subjective quality" (what is recognised by a human).

Regarding objective quality, any kind of difference to the original video is defined as quality loss.

Regarding subjective quality, this different result may look more or less annoying to one viewer or another.

"A matter of taste" can't be calculated a priori. "ABX tests" may collect statistics about a number of viewers, but their relevance depends on the selection of test persons. Technical metrics may be similar, but hardly close to a subjective "feeling of quality".

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 11:19   #6191  |  Link
pereant

Hi everyone,

I'm running the latest megui on windows xp, Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T7200 and very impressed so far.

Since i am trying to rip a mostly very grainy and partially interlaced source, and the mind boggles at how to get good results on this, i was wondering if i could use different (better) filters than the ones the avisynth plugin already offers.
On my search i stumbled upon QTGMC and i was also wondering if i could use this inside the avisynth plugin of megui. Is that possible and how to without messing it all up?
Secondly, it says it works better with the MT version of Avisynth. Is it possible to manually upgrade the avisynth plugin for Multithreading support?

Thanks in advance - i'm having much time on my hands
pereant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 11:57   #6192  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Your opinion makes me confused ... AviSynth plugin? MeGUI is just a user interface to create an AviSynth script. The AviSynth frameserver is the engine the conversion is based on, MeGUI is just a tool to hande it easier.

Of course you can use TGMC or QTGMC in the AviSynth script MeGUI creates and uses to deliver the decoded video filtered to the encoder. At least if you edit its import and call manually into the script source. I am not sure if that can be simplified via the GUI, don't know MeGUI at such a level of detail...

New German Gleitz board
Old 8th June 2011, 12:07   #6193  |  Link
pereant

Thanks for the explanation! The fog has lifted. i will give it a try.

Old 8th June 2011, 12:14   #6194  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by pereant View Post
Secondly, it says it works better with the MT version of Avisynth.
I highly doubt that this wording is used. Using a MT version of Avisynth will run it faster on a multi core CPU.

However, the MT hack of Avisynth (no offense to the guys who developed it) is rather buggy.

Also, MT or not, you will probably be very unhappy with QTGMC's speed on your T7200.
Groucho2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 12:49   #6195  |  Link
pereant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
Also, MT or not, you will probably be very unhappy with QTGMC's speed on your T7200.
Can you recommend a different deinterlacer than QTGMC that would suit my cpu?

My issue is that the film source is, firstly, horrible grainy and i cannot compress it to a reasonable size without getting a completely blurred video.
Secondly, it is partially interlaced and the yadif method did not work on some parts of the film. Apart from that yadif worked best.

Cheers Groucho
Old 8th June 2011, 13:02   #6196  |  Link
Groucho2004

Quote:
Can you recommend a different deinterlacer than QTGMC that would suit my cpu?

My issue is that the film source is, firstly, horrible grainy and i cannot compress it to a reasonable size without getting a completely blurred video.
Secondly, it is partially interlaced and the yadif method did not work on some parts of the film. Apart from that yadif worked best.

Cheers Groucho
I don't have much experience with de-interlacers because I usually deal with progressive material.

Your best bet to get some good advice for your source is to post a sample clip in the Avisynth Usage forum and describe the issues you have.
Groucho2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 13:13   #6197  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
What is the source of the video and what are the dimensions of the video? What is the frame rate?

I ask because professionally produced videos for DVD cannot be partially interlaced and partially progressive. It is one or the other.

There can be situations, more so with 25 fps sources, where there is true video source, which is interlaced, so motion results in different video content in each field, along with film that was transferred to 25 fps video. When film is transferred to 25 fps video, it looks as if it were progressive when you do a still frame, because the same film frame is scanned for both interlaced fields.

It doesn't work out that well with 29.97 sourced video. When film is transferred, to video, the 2:3 pulldown makes it look like there are three progressive frames, followed by two interlaced frames, when in fact all of the frames are interlaced.

So, to have someone on this thread to be able to help, it would nice to know exactly what you have.

IMHO, it is never good to deinterlace, unless the device that you are recoding the video for requires progressive video. Otherwise, if it is for video playback on a computer, best to leave the interlacing alone. Why? Because deinterlacing reduces spatial, i.e., time, information.

If someone is running across the screen and it takes five seconds to do that, at 59.94 fields/sec, there would be 300 images of the runner moving across the screen. Deinterlace and you reduce the spatial time to 150 images of the runner.

Sure, there are supposed to be methods to try and reduce spatial loss, but unless there is an absolute reason for doing so, I'm a firm believer in leaving interlaced video as interlaced video.

The exception, sortof, is when 29.97 video is reverse telecined to 23.976. In that case, the result is progressive video, but deinterlacing is not used to achieve the result.

Sorry about the long winded posting.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 15:01   #6198  |  Link
pereant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
Sorry about the long winded posting.
How could you worry?! Your opinion is very much appreciated!

The source is a "semi" professional DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaInfo
Format : MPEG Video
Format version : Version 2
Duration : 1h 8mn
Bit rate mode : Variable
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Standard : NTSC
in terms of your statement about to not de-interlace the film, i have to admit, i never thought about that. I would prefer progressive if the result is comparable to the source otherwise ...
so, If i would leave it like it is, i humbly dare to ask: wouldn't the film be more detailed and the compressibility might suffer from it?

On a second thought, the latter is a moot question.

Last edited by pereant; 8th June 2011 at 15:45.
Old 8th June 2011, 15:58   #6199  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Yadif is a quite fast but not very smart deinterlacer, it may fail and introduce fake textures.

TDeint is one of the smarter deinterlacers with a good speed, not perfect, but a bit safer than Yadif.

If you have NTSC, always check first if it is 3:2 Pulldown = Telecine instead of interlacing; in that case, IVTC can make it progressive (more or less) losslessly. PAL does not use 3:2 Pulldown.

New German Gleitz board
Old 8th June 2011, 16:03   #6200  |  Link
pereant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
Your best bet to get some good advice for your source is to post a sample clip in the Avisynth Usage forum and describe the issues you have.
Overlooked your reply. Good advice.

Thanks

Tags
megui