Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 15th April 2011, 21:50   #6981  |  Link
Virtual_ManPL
Virtual_ManPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Can you give me one (only one) really good reason for creating a 64bit build?
-better performance, cause x86-64 add a bunch of registers which can improve it
-compatibility with 64bit players like MPC-HC and PotPlayer
-why not
Virtual_ManPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 21:56   #6982  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual_ManPL View Post
64bit also makes addresses and some data-types bigger, which can actually slow down your software.

IMHO, 64-bit is only really useful if you need to handle alot of data, and the 32-bit address space might run out on you.
Old 15th April 2011, 21:58   #6983  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Finally got around to testing on my nVidia, underpowered X2 machine. Works great! Very minor frame drops when doing stupid things like chapter skipping, pause/play, going in and out of FSE mode, etc. Once you let it settle down I lose maybe 1 frame every 3-5 minutes (mainly cause nVidia has no clue what 23.976 actually means. SIGH). It's freaking gorgeous on that Samsung panel. Man I need to replace my living room TV! Anyway, I'm extremely pleased with 0.56. Works on my AMD machines, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb1236 View Post
Probably, but to be honest it's kind of difficult to see a difference on a quad core at 4Ghz, 1080p playback plays around 10% cpu so I never had problem with such things...
Ok, next try: Do you ever want to get DXVA2 deinterlacing (I'm not saying it will come to madVR anytime soon, if at all)? If so, what the latest madVR versions do is necessary, too.

Quote:
-why not
Better performance? Nope. Current HTPC software is not any faster in 64bit, often it's slower. Compatability with 64bit players is no advantage because you can use 32bit players without any disadvantage (that I can see). "Why not"? Because it would cost many days of hard work, for no practical benefit.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 21:58   #6984  |  Link
Plutotype

Quote:
-why not
I dont see a reason to push this for now - especially after this weeks 6 versions of madVR. If you want, you can try to convince at first James at the slysoft forum to rewrite Reclock to 64-bit version
Old 15th April 2011, 21:58   #6985  |  Link
SamuriHL

I made the argument for 64 bit before, too, but, there's another issue. What decoder to use? ffdshow is pretty much it for 64 bit. No commercial decoders are going to work in 64 bit.
Old 15th April 2011, 22:10   #6986  |  Link
neb1236

Quote:
Ok, next try: Do you ever want to get DXVA2 deinterlacing (I'm not saying it will come to madVR anytime soon, if at all)? If so, what the latest madVR versions do is necessary, too.
Sorry, don't try to convince me it's better or not, it's just a matter of personal opinion, please don't think everybody is like me, it's just that I only watch progressive video, and I prefer stinking to software decoder rather than DXVA for several stupid personal reason.
What mater to me is fast playback start (I don’t know how but madVR rocks on this part) flawless switching to fullscreen, flawless moving windows around (flawless UI in short), correct upscaling (dithering and lanczos is a minimum), and for performance matter I bought the needed hardware.
neb1236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 22:14   #6987  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb1236 View Post
[...] I prefer stinking [...]
Old 15th April 2011, 22:14   #6988  |  Link
Razoola

madshi, I have found something very important on my system but it may help others. Remember I was getting those D3D errors? Well with 056 I am getting them again and more frequently too, also had a couple of player lockups, remember this is at 120hz.

I have found a solution that gives me 100% stability so far... A simple change of the new flush settings to 'dont flush', 'dont flush', 'flush', 'dont flush' did the trick.

With the limited tinkering I have done so far it appears having a flush after copy to backbuffer is very important for stability. I can also see having a flush here greatly limits presentation glitches, in fact so far its the only way I have found to limit them from the initial start few that seem to always happen.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 22:19   #6989  |  Link
ikarad

Quote:

Do you actually *see* the glitches? I mean is motion non-smooth? v0.50 did not even know if there were glitches, even if there were some.

No really (Like counter increase slowly I can't see really if there is a problem with naked eyes) but if the counter increase, it means that there are glitches.
If one day movies that I see are not smoothing, I prefer to know that madvr is not the culprit because I hate make tests during many hours to know where is the culprit.
ikarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 22:23   #6990  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
madshi, I have found something very important on my system but it may help others. Remember I was getting those D3D errors? Well with 056 I am getting them again and more frequently too, also had a couple of player lockups, remember this is at 120hz.

I have found a solution that gives me 100% stability so far... A simple change of the new flush settings to 'dont flush', 'dont flush', 'flush', 'dont flush' did the trick.

With the limited tinkering I have done so far it appears having a flush after copy to backbuffer is very important for stability. I can also see having a flush here greatly limits presentation glitches, in fact so far its the only way I have found to limit them from the initial start few that seem to always happen.
Well, there's some sense to that. Let me explain:

Let's say you play a 24fps movie on a 120Hz display. What madVR now does (new exclusive path) is this:

(1) render frame 1
(2) copy frame 1 to backbuffer and present
(3) copy frame 1 to backbuffer and present
(4) copy frame 1 to backbuffer and present
(5) copy frame 1 to backbuffer and present
(6) copy frame 1 to backbuffer and present
(7) render frame 2
(8) copy frame 2 to backbuffer and present
(9) [...]

Basically every frame is rendered once and then copied to backbuffer (and presented) 5 times, since 120Hz / 24fps = 5x. Now the first two flush settings only apply to the rendering, but not to the backbuffer copy and presentation. So I guess with high refresh rates, if your GPU/driver needs flushes, you need to flush after the backbuffer copy or after the presentation. Otherwise you'll have a flush only every fifth VSync event. Two questions for my interest:

- does flushing after present instead of after backbuffer work just as well?
- does the new rendering path now work better for you than the old (and than windowed mode)?

Those of you with glitches when doing 24fps -> 60Hz playback, please also try flushing after either the backbuffer copy or after the present!
Old 15th April 2011, 22:23   #6991  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarad View Post
No really (Like counter increase slowly I can't see really if there is a problem with naked eyes) but if the counter increase, it means that there are glitches.
If one day movies that I see are not smoothing, I prefer to know that madvr is not the culprit because I hate make tests during many hours to know where is the culprit.
Try setting the 'after copy to backbuffer' option to flush and see if that solves your presentation glitches from slowly incrementing during playback.
Old 15th April 2011, 22:26   #6992  |  Link
Andy o

The "delay switch to exclusive mode by 3 seconds" option is not working here. It stopped working several versions ago, but I thought that some setting must have gotten stuck or something. Even when resetting and deleting the madvr registry key it still doesn't work. exclusive switches immediately. Is this setting somewhere else in the registry or somewhere else?
Andy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 22:28   #6993  |  Link
Hypernova

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesgrey View Post
Any possibility of making it... blue?
I suggest rotating between three colors (joking of course).

With all this stream of troubles from introducing new rendering path, I decided to try it out (I'm totally happy with windowed mode). I just want to come out and say that I never actually have any problem with it (havn't try 0.56 yet). Just to give some positive feedback out
Old 15th April 2011, 22:29   #6994  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
The "delay switch to exclusive mode by 3 seconds" option is not working here.
Works for me. How are you testing this? Try right clicking on the video -> context menu. madVR should go windowed mode. Now press Escape. Does madVR switch back to exclusive immediately?
Old 15th April 2011, 22:32   #6995  |  Link
Andy o

oops, not when I do that. When I go from windowed (small window) to full screen. I used to get the 3 second wait before...
Old 15th April 2011, 22:33   #6996  |  Link
jmone

0.56 Testing on my HTPC:

New Render Path & Black Screen / Display Rate Change
1) Pause/Play fixes it: Reclock does the Refresh Rate change and the screen goes to Black. A Pause brings it back to Windowed Mode and you see a still frame. Pressing Play starts playback and it goes back into Exclusive mode and plays on.
2) If Exlcusive Mode fails (no idea why that would be) a player restart is required then all back to normal
3) I did not have any example of a Mismatch in Refresh Rate between madVR and Reclock this time
4) Old path is fine.

It just seems that nothing is being presented when in exclusive mode and the Refresh Rate changes. The Pause/Play cuases a Windowed/Exclusive mode cycle that gets it all going again. The other option of couse is the madshi refresh rate changer option (instead of recock)! I'm also surprised no one else is seeing this - I can believe I'm that "special"!

1080/50p
1) madVR's OSD is still happily tearing etc on fast pans. What I find odd on this one is why would a fast pan in the movie cause tearing in the OSD (unless the whole presentation is also tearing in the renderer - which is kind of hard to tell as similar issues could have been in the original encoding from the Cam, decoding by ffdshow etc The OSD however is added after all is decoded)

Last edited by jmone; 15th April 2011 at 22:36.
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 22:35   #6997  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
- does flushing after present instead of after backbuffer work just as well?
- does the new rendering path now work better for you than the old (and than windowed mode)?
Yes to both. In fact flushing after present gives me one presentation glitch less (I get 2 when flushing after copy to backbuffer)

update, dang, I just got a D3D error when flushing on presentation. So the answer is no to the first one.

Last edited by Razoola; 15th April 2011 at 22:42.
Old 15th April 2011, 22:37   #6998  |  Link
Andy o

btw, I guess I get why you took out that 3 second wait madshi, when going from window to full screen, but if I change refresh rates when on windowed mode, and then switch to exclusive, it works fine. If I change while on exclusive, it doesn't work. I think the 3 second wait might make MPC-HC's auto refresh switch work for some of us, if not most.
Old 15th April 2011, 22:38   #6999  |  Link
ikarad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
Try setting the 'after copy to backbuffer' option to flush and see if that solves your presentation glitches from slowly incrementing during playback.
I tried and no change.
ikarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 22:52   #7000  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
Im running a 60Hz display on XP, but I really dont know where all the problems you guys have come from.
Running a 60Hz display means that 24p isn't smooth anyway...you can really only test smoothness w/ a perfect multiple refresh rate and Reclock.

I still need the old path, but apparently ditching "upload frames in render thread" is indeed fine.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling