Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 15th April 2011, 10:10   #6921  |  Link
yesgrey

A few more notes:
-For me v0.54 works perfectly without messing with the flush options
-People with nvidia cards should consider update to 270.51 drivers. In my first tests I was using the previous ones and had several problems. With the newer versions (v0.53 and v0.54) the image froze whenever madVR switched to the new rendering path. When I tried 16 pre-rendering frames mpc-hc crashed. After installing 270.51 drivers everything was fixed. Now I can even use 16 pre-rendering frames. I thought it was a memory limitation of my card (512 MB), but it wasn't. With the 16 pr frames the memory used is ~370MB.
yesgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 10:13   #6922  |  Link
chogster

Everything sweet on this side of the house with 0.54! HAM is running great on my HD5450 with no dropped frames. PQ is tiptop!!
chogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 10:20   #6923  |  Link
kennae

I have been using the latest nvidia drives since they came like a month ago (270.51). And I have always used pre rendered frames as 0, even before trying MadVR for the first time. It's not that. MadVR has always worked greatly for me, always full queues with every settings I've tried.
Never got any dropped frames. So this is not my hardware I bet.

What was the page to get older MadVR versions? The 0.53 and every version before that worked great for me.

Reverted back to 0.53 and everything is smooth as used to be.

Last edited by kennae; 15th April 2011 at 10:25. Reason: more testing.
kennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 11:29   #6924  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
My original hope for the new exclusive mode rendering path was that no manual tweaks would be necessary. But after the last couple of days and various feedback from you guys my impression is that the flush settings do still make a difference, sadly. So I've now added an option which allows you to activate the flush settings for the new exclusive mode rendering path, too. If you don't activate this option, no flushs are done at all. If you find that activating some flushs works better for you, please let me know which exact settings work best for you. My recommendation on what to try is this:

(1) Try default setting without any flushs first. If you don't get good results:
(2) Activate the "use windowed flush tweaks" option. Then try setting "after last render step" and "after D3D presentation" to "flush", set the others to "don't flush". If that still doesn't help:
(3) Try setting "after intermediate render steps" to "flush", too, in addition to (2). If that still doesn't help:
(4) Try setting some "flush"s to "flush & wait", maybe first "after last render step" or "after D3D presentation".
Thanks for the update. I'm still having a ton of presentation glitches. The only way to stop them seems to be setting "after copy to backbuffer" to sleep or loop, but that then causes the other buffers to drop as they were doing previously.

I have a large collection of logs for you, and I hope the naming makes sense.

http://www.mediafire.com/?t2oh5rhtd74tk18

I am also getting visible stuttering that does not show up in the stats, and the screen flickers (once) when entering fullscreen.

I am also seeing a large number of times when I quit MPC-HC (using your 3005 version) and the process does not exit and has to be closed via task manager.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 11:30   #6925  |  Link
fairchild

Can someone tell me what's the benefit of running the highly touted HAM decoder? Is it primarily for weaker systems (HTPC or laptops with weak cpu?) or is there another benefit to it as far as picture quality goes?

Also, I've gotten the HAM decoder to work with MadVR but some videos display a green line at the bottom of the video that stretches horizontally accross the screen. I've seen it on 720p and 1080p videos irregardless of the aspect ratio (16x9, 2.35, 2.4) of the clip or irregardless of the renderer (EVRCP, madVR) or the video player (mpc-hc, potplayer) which I never see using software decoders or other DXVA decoders.
Old 15th April 2011, 13:33   #6926  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Ok, it seems you all have a quite similar experience.

Can you guys please also experiment with the number of pre-rendered frames (as Rain1 has done)? That'd be helpful for me to find the best default values. Personally, 8 pre-rendered frames works best for me, too. Any objections to using 8 as the new default?
The settings rain1 posted are EXACTLY what I've been using on my laptop and give me the best results. I have no objections at all and would appreciate that as the default. Have you given any more consideration into a "reset to default" setting?
Old 15th April 2011, 13:33   #6927  |  Link
Mark_A_W
3 eyed CRT supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W View Post
Yup, mine is secondary monitor.

I will change that screen to primary and test again.
I tested again, with the video screen set to primary.

No stability issues, no jumping to 60hz, it just works....

....well, except for the presentation glitches which are relentless.

Queues and time stats appear ok - I tried to get a screenshot...now I know why you guys have been asking for that feature to be added....

And having viewed the green OSD...I vote red. Sorry, but the green is washed out by the image half the time. Red is an unusual colour, green is present in almost all images.

Log;

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1372034/madV...hes%200.54.txt
Mark_A_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 13:36   #6928  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by chogster View Post
Everything sweet on this side of the house with 0.54! HAM is running great on my HD5450 with no dropped frames. PQ is tiptop!!
Awesome! No more HAM issues? That's really great!
Old 15th April 2011, 13:36   #6929  |  Link
Mark_A_W
3 eyed CRT supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Have you given any more consideration into a "reset to default" setting?

+1

Sometimes I screw things up and have to rely on screenshots that I took to restore madVR settings to default.
Mark_A_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 13:39   #6930  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild View Post
Can someone tell me what's the benefit of running the highly touted HAM decoder? Is it primarily for weaker systems (HTPC or laptops with weak cpu?) or is there another benefit to it as far as picture quality goes?

Also, I've gotten the HAM decoder to work with MadVR but some videos display a green line at the bottom of the video that stretches horizontally accross the screen. I've seen it on 720p and 1080p videos irregardless of the aspect ratio (16x9, 2.35, 2.4) of the clip or irregardless of the renderer (EVRCP, madVR) or the video player (mpc-hc, potplayer) which I never see using software decoders or other DXVA decoders.
Yea, basically it helps lower the CPU requirements. I don't actually need it on my HTPC as it's a c2q 8200, but, with it MPC-HC rocks around 10-14% on average. With software decoding that jumps up to 30-40%. You have a powerful enough machine, go with software decoding if you're getting glitches with HAM. For my laptop, it's 100% necessary else I'd not be able to use madVR at all.
Old 15th April 2011, 13:58   #6931  |  Link
nlnl

madshi, thank you for 0.54!

W7, 5750, MPC HC, CoreAVC, Aero on, spline4 chroma up, no scaling 1080p, default setting without any flushs

2 pre-render frames (present buffers) - OK
4 - OK
8 - dropping frames

madshi,
Could you define "presentation glitch"? Is it visible?

Editing:

Retested after reloading and 2, 4, 8, 16 pre-render frames are OK . Very stable queues and no dropping frames

Last edited by nlnl; 15th April 2011 at 15:11.
nlnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 14:43   #6932  |  Link
Virtual_ManPL
Virtual_ManPL

Any plans for 64bit build ?
Virtual_ManPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 15:48   #6933  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

now that the OSD has become readable, I can definitely say that the new path(whatever w/ or w/o windowed tweaks) is a "presentation glitches" feast for me on XPSP3(I always reset the counter after going FSE): ...OTOH, the old path w 0.54 is fine:

please don't remove the old path just yet
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 16:57   #6934  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
the new path(whatever w/ or w/o windowed tweaks) is a "presentation glitches" feast for me on XPSP3(I always reset the counter after going FSE)

[...]

OTOH, the old path w 0.54 is fine:
The old path does not show presentation glitches, that does not mean it doesnt have any. See quote from madshi here:

Quote:
v0.52 now properly shows and handles presentation glitches. Please note that v0.49 and earlier versions were not able to detect presentation glitches even if they occurred (!!). That means if you see the presentation glitch statistic increase with v0.52 which you didn't see with v0.49 that's not yet a reason to worry. Trust your eyes above all else.
leeperry, didn't you think it was kinda odd that it didn't even have a display showing 0 for it... :P

Last edited by nevcairiel; 15th April 2011 at 17:00.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 17:13   #6935  |  Link
ikarad

I have a problem with madvr 0.54 (maybe also with madvr 0.51 and other)

With 0.54 madvr
When I'm in exclusive fullscreen mode, I have 96 fps and at some moment the counter in fraps become 72 fps and the counter "presentation glitches" increase.

Screenshot
before

after

With madvr0.51, same problem but presentation glitches counter doesn't increase (stay at 0).

With madvr 0.50, FPS at fraps stay at 96fps in fullscreen mode.

Is-it normal or not?

I have parameters at default in madvr and I use windows xp sp3 with geforce gtx280 and 270.51 driver. I tried with differents versions of mpc-hc (the last and older) and same problem. I use ffdshow and reclock.

Last edited by ikarad; 15th April 2011 at 17:27.
ikarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 17:25   #6936  |  Link
oddball

Something broke with 0.54 my screen keeps flashing on and off (Nvidia). Tried on my laptop with Intel HD and it does the same. MPC-HC 3033 (Did it with 3011 too). Also MadVR is leaning heavily on my CPU. Typical CPU when decoding 1080p without MadVR is 30-50% on a E7600 decoding with CoreAVC software only (I have a few things in the chain like ffdshow filters amd ReClock). But with MadVR it's using nearly 100% CPU. I'm having big problems with the Intel HD and MadVR on some high bitrate 1080p content. I've remuxed a well known blue folk BluRay into a MKV file and it causes huge stress on both my E700 system and an i5 540M laptop with the Intel HD graphics.

Last edited by oddball; 15th April 2011 at 17:29.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 17:39   #6937  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
The old path does not show presentation glitches, that does not mean it doesnt have any.
good point! but 0.49 was dead smooth for me, and I can't really get 0.53/0.54 to be as smooth when using the new path. The picture is slightly hiccuping from time to time...which is easily understandable as the "presentation glitches" counter keeps increasing rather steadily
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 17:46   #6938  |  Link
namaiki

I found 0.54 about half as CPU intensive as 0.53 when using the new exclusive mode. (~24fps on 72Hz screen; madVR default settings)

However, I also got the same crash that others experienced when using madVR on secondary monitor. 0.53 was perfect in that regard.
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 17:59   #6939  |  Link
sneaker_ger

I'm still getting these presentation glitches, even when playing around with the flush settings. (Can't test them all of course)

Is it correct that all people with these problems are playing their videos on a display with higher frequency, i.e. 24p at 60Hz?
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 18:11   #6940  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

madshi, I'm happy to say that v0.54 fixed all the issues for me (ATI 5450). Finally! Thanks!
In FSE mode CPU usage is about 15% even with FullHD 1080p/24 video (here I have to thank Cyberlink HAM also). No dropped/delayed frames and playback is smooth without notes. In windowed mode CPU usage is still high, but WM is doesn't matter for me, I even didn't try any tricks yet. Thanks again for your hard work and have a good weekend!

To All. HAM is really matters for madVR! 15% vs 60% for HAM vs SW modes. HAM wins! BTW, tried DXVA mode also, got green screen .
Qaq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling