Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 13th April 2011, 20:37   #6801  |  Link
sneaker_ger

I've redone the 1080p60 on the 9200M GS test a lot of times and yesterday evening it would start dropping frames like crazy again. Today I started it again and it worked fine. I watched CPU and GPU clocks and they were running fine, so it's not an overheating problem. (Furthermore the complete cooling system of the laptop was renewed a month ago)

The CPU seems pretty high and I think it was probably the decoder that ran out if cpu, not a fault in the renderer system itself, so I will probably start looking into that further if it does happen again (unless you come up with a solution to the high CPU before that).
I also experienced a hang today - no idea whether it was caused by madVR or some other part of the chain.
Anyways, I had logging enabled, so if you think the logs could be of any use to you:
http://rapidshare.com/files/45727284..._madVR_logs.7z

About the window->FSE switch:
It's definitely slower than the old path for me. Picture will even turn black for a moment.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 20:38   #6802  |  Link
mrcorbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
If you run into trouble, please try to avoid switching monitors or even resolutions/refresh rates. Make sure the monitors are already set to the correct resolution and refresh rate. Then move MPC-HC to the target monitor *before* loading the video file. If you do that, there should be no problems.

I'll find a better solution to this in a future madVR version.
I found that using Autofrequency is a reasonable work-around as it does the resolution change before loading MPC-HC, with the downside of Autofrequency not supporting all of the file associations (most notably *.bdmv) that MPC-HC does. I can deal with that. If you can figure out a way to allow madVR to cope with this scenario, all the better.

Thanks for the response.
mrcorbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 20:47   #6803  |  Link
Gleb Egorych

Quote:
Hmmmm... How does v0.51 compare to v0.49 for you? I understand you liked v0.50 best, but there were serious problems in v0.50 and it did some things wrong.
0.49 has a bit less dropped frames with CoreAVC software mode than 0.51 with default settings. Though these 2 versions drop frames differently. 0.49 drops frames more regularly while 0.51 with 4 pre-rendered frames drops more spiky.
Gleb Egorych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 21:04   #6804  |  Link
SamuriHL

Ummm. Hmmm. So, my laptop has never been what one would call "powerful". It's a c2d 2.53ghz machine with an AMD 3450 in it. It's fine for playing blu-rays with DXVA. Any time I ever tried to do software decoding and madVR, the machine would just choke and was completely unacceptable. Until today! I decided to try out the Cyberlink Video Decoder in HAM mode with madVR and see just what would happen. I'm SUPER impressed!! It actually works. Granted, the scaling options had to be, uhhhh, "tweaked", but, even so it looks awesome on my 1600x900 screen. Consider that I was streaming music from iTunes at the same time I was playing my trouble MKV's over the network and even with subs on, this machine handled it gracefully. MPC-HC never went over 60% CPU which is remarkable! This is really truly impressive.
Old 13th April 2011, 21:17   #6805  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaq View Post
Note, it was 720p video. With 049 CPU usage is ~12% and with 05* it reaches 60%. Like I said above, 051 has a bit less CPU usage than 050. I have AMD X2 +6000. Probably, my low-end ATI 5450 is the bottleneck.

I remember that new feature with framebuffers (tried to change from 4 to 6,8 without luck). So no doubts here, it was 051.

I always do it 1:1 matched. It was 23,976 - source and display.
Then I don't really understand at all why you have so high CPU consumption. Anyway, can you retry with v0.52? Will be out in a couple of minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pouyoux View Post
would it take long to add an option in madvr where you choose the color of the text (red, green, blue) ? so everybody can choose the color that suits best its need/preference.
I do not really have any fun/time right now to work on cosmetical things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp_anton View Post
An idea for the debug build...

You could include a "Enable or disable debug.bat" that changes between the following two "modes":
Normal mode: normal build is "madVR.ax", debug build is "madVR [Debug is disabled].ax".
Debug mode: normal build is "madVR [Debug is enabled].ax", debug build is "madVR.ax".
Not a bad idea. Would you volunteer to create nice bat files for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarad View Post
In windowed mode fraps display 24 fps like the number of frame per second of my movie. In exclusive full screen mode, fraps display 96 fps (refresh rate of my CRT).
The new exclusive mode rendering path presents one frame per VSync. So in your case it presents 96fps. However, it only *renders* 24fps. In your case madVR renders one video frame, then presents it 4 times. It's nearly impossible for fraps to see the difference. To fraps it looks like 96fps. I wish I could tell DirectX to just skip a VSync. There even is a way to do that, but it doesn't work properly, unfortunately. So I have to actually present for every VSync.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarad View Post
I use softcubic at 100 because it is the only that doens't have red (only green).
Yes, but some of the greens (especially sharpness) are much lower than with other algorithms. Most humans like images to look sharp and SoftCubic 100 is the opposite of sharp. My recommendation is to upscale a reasonably sharp DVD. Then pause the image and switch between different algorithms to see which looks best to your eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleb Egorych View Post
0.49 has a bit less dropped frames with CoreAVC software mode than 0.51 with default settings. Though these 2 versions drop frames differently. 0.49 drops frames more regularly while 0.51 with 4 pre-rendered frames drops more spiky.
And how does v0.52 behave? (out in a couple of minutes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Ummm. Hmmm. So, my laptop has never been what one would call "powerful". It's a c2d 2.53ghz machine with an AMD 3450 in it. It's fine for playing blu-rays with DXVA. Any time I ever tried to do software decoding and madVR, the machine would just choke and was completely unacceptable. Until today! I decided to try out the Cyberlink Video Decoder in HAM mode with madVR and see just what would happen. I'm SUPER impressed!! It actually works. Granted, the scaling options had to be, uhhhh, "tweaked", but, even so it looks awesome on my 1600x900 screen. Consider that I was streaming music from iTunes at the same time I was playing my trouble MKV's over the network and even with subs on, this machine handled it gracefully. MPC-HC never went over 60% CPU which is remarkable! This is really truly impressive.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 21:32   #6806  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.52 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* fixed: presentation glitches were not reported at all
* fixed: reaction to presentation glitches was (very) wrong
* added some more fixes and tweaks to the new exclusive mode rendering path
* fixed: seek bar sometimes got stuck with new exclusive path when paused
* fixed: starting in paused mode sometimes failed to show first video frame
* fixed: pre-render option wasn't always enabled/disabled correctly
* debug OSD is now green instead of red (doom9 majority wish)
Please retest all v0.50/v0.51 problems with v0.52. Again I'm not sure about CPU consumption. Might be improved/fixed. Or not.

v0.52 now properly shows and handles presentation glitches. Please note that v0.49 and earlier versions were not able to detect presentation glitches even if they occurred (!!). That means if you see the presentation glitch statistic increase with v0.52 which you didn't see with v0.49 that's not yet a reason to worry. Trust your eyes above all else.
Old 13th April 2011, 21:46   #6807  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

Thanks for new version, I have some problem with unstable queue (new exclusive), but maybe it's fixed now. I will write if it's not ;P

EDIT

Unfortunately problem is still there. Queues are not stable. There are stable (and full) for a while and then "drop" and back to normal, drop, back to normal and so on. It's not big problem because, there is no dropped frames, but in old exclusive queues were stable. queues drops to 4-5, 4-5, 4-5, 1-8, 0-8...
HD5870
cat 11.4
win 7 64bit
ffdshow latest for decoding

Last edited by kasper93; 13th April 2011 at 22:34.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 21:47   #6808  |  Link
mrdkreka

This might not be a very big problem for most people, but could you stop having CTRL+J (display stat) as a global hot-key. Can be a bit annoying when it conflict with other programs that use the same hot-key.
mrdkreka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 21:52   #6809  |  Link
SamuriHL

CPU utilization on my laptop seems higher now. Not horribly high, but, higher. But, in a few minutes of play I had almost 60 dropped frames and 4 presentation glitches. UGH. My laptop is probably not really a good test bed.
Old 13th April 2011, 21:55   #6810  |  Link
Plutotype

first reaction 0.52

- like the green OSD
- paused state - seekbar issue fixed, thanks
Old 13th April 2011, 21:59   #6811  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkreka View Post
This might not be a very big problem for most people, but could you stop having CTRL+J (display stat) as a global hot-key. Can be a bit annoying when it conflict with other programs that use the same hot-key.
I plan to make the key combination adjustable in a future version. I don't remember right now why I made it global, but there was some reason for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
CPU utilization on my laptop seems higher now. Not horribly high, but, higher. But, in a few minutes of play I had almost 60 dropped frames and 4 presentation glitches. UGH. My laptop is probably not really a good test bed.
Higher than what? Than v0.51? Doesn't sound so good. Did older versions work better on your laptop? As in less frame drops?
Old 13th April 2011, 22:03   #6812  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Yes, seek bar issue seems to be fixed. Didn't notice any other change to 0.51.

Would it be possible to reorder the OSD?
Like:
Glitches
Delayed
Dropped
Decoder
Render
Upload
etc.

Would be easier to watch dropped frames and the queues at the same time to look for the source of a problem. Resolution, rectangle etc. don't change anyways.

About the key:
Maybe add it as an option in the settings, like Haali does.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 22:06   #6813  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Higher than what? Than v0.51? Doesn't sound so good. Did older versions work better on your laptop? As in less frame drops?
Yea, 0.51. I never ever got it to work with older versions before. CPU utilization was always too high. However, my thought was now that I have the HAM mode stuff working on my main HTPC, I decided to see if it'd work on my laptop. The video is watchable. I didn't check the stats when testing 0.51. Just a quick "sniff test" to see if it'd handle my most troubling videos. And it did. Clearly not without some issues, but, for a laptop I'm ok with that. But same videos do seem higher with 0.52 on this machine. I haven't had a chance to test my main HTPC. And I haven't even had time to test 0.51 on my nVidia box let alone 0.52 yet.

EDIT: The dropped frames on my main HTPC happen in the very beginning. Probably when switching to FSE mode. Nothing to see there. After the initial "chatter" it settles down and is ROCK SOLID. My AMD 5870 is rocking my videos with this setup. LOVE IT! Off to test the nVidia box. More challenging as it's 24Hz on slower hardware. This could be "fun".

Last edited by SamuriHL; 13th April 2011 at 22:18.
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 22:13   #6814  |  Link
SamuriHL

CPU utilization on my main HTPC is very very good. 14% for the video that I consider "troubling" that pushed my laptop up to 80% in 0.52. I have 12 dropped frames and 5 delayed frames. This is an MKV that notoriously causes problems, even with DXVA on a lot of machines. It's VC-1 in an MKV container with DTS-HD MA audio. It punishes decoders, splitters, and renderers alike. It's why I use it. Those dropped and delayed frames happened in the very beginning and haven't had ANY since.
Old 13th April 2011, 22:32   #6815  |  Link
SamuriHL

My nVidia machine is showing the same kind of dropped frame thing at the very beginning, but, once it settles down is also pretty stable. Maybe 1 or 2 dropped frames here and there, but, quite frankly it looks amazing. CPU utilization on that machine is about 50% in MPC-HC so that's not too bad. I can't remember if it's higher or lower than 0.49, but, it's lower than 0.50 for sure. All in all I'm quite pleased with 0.52. Will mess around with my laptop more and see if I can figure out what happened there. In any case, love the green (man that helped!) and really loving madVR right now. So, job well done afaic.
Old 13th April 2011, 22:33   #6816  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

madshi
First, thanks for new version. Tried it with 720p/24 video, display was set to 1080p/24. CPU usage reaches ~50%. Here you can find the log file + few screenshots: http://depositfiles.com/files/y0t0b9ap9 or here: http://www.mediafire.com/?2eyg8v1lxwstlz1 Hope it will help.

Last edited by Qaq; 14th April 2011 at 09:44.
Qaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 22:41   #6817  |  Link
ajp_anton

Quote:
Not a bad idea. Would you volunteer to create nice bat files for me?
Bat file scripting isn't my strong suit, but I gave it a try:

Code:
@echo off
if exist "madVR.ax" (
if exist "madVR [Debug mode is enabled].ax" (goto on) else (
if exist "madVR [Debug mode is disabled].ax" (goto off)))

echo Can't find your madVR files.
pause
exit

:on
cls
echo #####################################
echo #  Debug mode is currently ENABLED  #
echo #####################################
echo.
set /P ans=Do you want to disable debug mode (Y/N)? 
if /i %ans%==n (exit)
if /i not %ans%==y (goto on)
ren "madVR.ax" "madVR [Debug mode is disabled].ax"
ren "madVR [Debug mode is enabled].ax" "madVR.ax"
if exist "madVR [Debug mode is disabled].ax" (echo Debug was successfully disabled) else (echo Something went wrong...)
pause
exit

:off
cls
echo ######################################
echo #  Debug mode is currently DISABLED  #
echo ######################################
echo.
set /P ans=Do you want to enable debug mode (Y/N)? 
if /i %ans%==n (exit)
if /i not %ans%==y (goto off)
ren "madVR.ax" "madVR [Debug mode is enabled].ax"
ren "madVR [Debug mode is disabled].ax" "madVR.ax"
if exist "madVR [Debug mode is enabled].ax" (echo Debug was successfully enabled) else (echo Something went wrong...)
pause
exit
This will however fail if the filenames are wrong. Maybe it's possible to identify them by filesize (if not by absolute sizes, but from the fact that the debug one is bigger), but whatever...

edit: simplified the first if

Last edited by ajp_anton; 13th April 2011 at 22:45.
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 23:01   #6818  |  Link
PlazzTT

Installed 0.52 on Windows 7 x64, but it's still greyed out in MPC (build 3026 x64)?
PlazzTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 23:02   #6819  |  Link
SamuriHL

That would be because you need the 32 bit version of MPC-HC. madVR is 32 bit only. Even on a 64 bit OS.
Old 13th April 2011, 23:32   #6820  |  Link
bjd

@madshi

Thanks for 0.51. Never got a proper chance to fully test 0.50 before you released an update

However 0.51 seems to be working better than any other version.

No issues so far and very smooth playback

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling