Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 5th April 2011, 14:56   #1261  |  Link
sneaker_ger

I'd appreciate such an option, although I will continue to use Haali for mkv until you support fonts and file linking/ordered chapters. I'm kinda surprised I'm the only one asking because I remember people preferring MPC (or any DS player) over VLC because of the accurate seeking. I guess if you really integrate them into MPC-HC some day more people will ask for it.

One thing where Haali is superior:
You can enter a "combined" priority list for audio and subtitles. That way you can set the player to deactivate subs when there's an audio track with your mother tongue, but activate for a language that's unknown to you for example.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 16:38   #1262  |  Link
robpdotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
I will continue to use Haali for mkv until you support fonts and file linking/ordered chapters.
I'm holding out for file linking/ordered chapters as well. I have far too much media that uses it to not be able to take advantage of it.
AMD 6870
robpdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 16:45   #1263  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
I would always vote for keeping the filters seperate, but in the past the MPC-HC team (especially Casimir) always blocked any attempts at splitting it. Apparently having one single .exe that does everything is somehow "better".

In any case, LAV Splitter is not designed to run "embedded", and i won't modify it to do so. Additionally its also not designed to use an embedded ffmpeg. So, yeah, unless the MPC-HC guys change their mind about this, nothing to see here.

I like the idea of simply having the filters in some directory. Although this requires some haxery for source filters, you can't simply figure out which formats they support like you can with a transform filter, so MPC-HC would have to know all the details about them. (Thats why source filters can't be used unregistered in MPC-HC right now)

Making it fully dynamic (like, drop in filter and it gets used) might not be 100% viable, but doing it at least for the "known" filters would work (original internal filters, LAV Filters, some other common filters)

You know, redesigning a key part of MPC-HC like this, could be easier to just write a new player and steal some stuff from MPC-HC. :P
I think the MPC-HC team can be persuaded when they realize the benefits this change would bring. Filters don't need to be registered, so portability is not an issue, which was the main argument for having a single exe.

The functionality will of course be limited to known source filters, so their capabilities are known, and adding new ones like LAVSplitter would be easy. Almost copy/paste work.

The only real new code that would be needed is to detect presence of the filter files. Plus some GUI changes to conditionally show the "internal" filters in the list. Both not very difficult either. Maybe use dropdown menus instead of checkboxes for the time that both old and new filters are included.

One issue that needs to be handled by any multi-format filter is the ability to override any format handling configurations. Meaning the internally loaded one accepts all formats it supports, while the registered filter uses its regular configuration. This is also doable, and already done by the current internal decoders.
Old 5th April 2011, 18:32   #1264  |  Link
Kaotech

Quote:
Fixed in MPC-HC r3012

I didn't actually test it, but it should work now. You should be able to use the shortcuts to switch between audio and sub tracks.
The shortcut work fine, but the vidéo block when i change audio track.

Did you have an idea ?

Last edited by Kaotech; 5th April 2011 at 18:38.
Kaotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 18:32   #1265  |  Link
nightfly

Quote:
I have looked over the Gabest MPEG-TS splitter numerous times, and it really doesn't do anything special, it just seeks to the time requested.
If you really insist, i can add an option to allow frame accurate seeks instead of fast/fluid seeks, but i don't think its what most people want.
I concur. I want a simple fast and accurate seeking that retains lip sync. Gabest simply isn't able to do this - even on seemingly "problem free" test clips. LAV? no issue what-so-ever with any clip I've thrown at it.

Also, can I convince someone to post the latest filter for download somewhere? I haven't got the dev envr setup yet and am dieing to try the mpls support.

Last edited by nightfly; 5th April 2011 at 19:02.
nightfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 19:18   #1266  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotech View Post
The shortcut work fine, but the vidéo block when i change audio track.
What do you mean with "block"? Its normal that it'll freeze for a second when you switch track, thats just how the changing is done, but it should continue playing directly after.
Old 5th April 2011, 19:26   #1267  |  Link
Matching_Mole

Hi nevcairiel,

It seems that several people has compiled their own "pre-version" of the next release of your splitter, isn't it? If you need help to test it maybe you can post this "pre-version" and so several other people as me can help you to test the new BD features.
Matching_Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 20:03   #1268  |  Link
Mercury_22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matching_Mole View Post
Hi nevcairiel,

It seems that several people has compiled their own "pre-version" of the next release of your splitter, isn't it? If you need help to test it maybe you can post this "pre-version" and so several other people as me can help you to test the new BD features.
Here you are
Update Nevcairiel-LAVFSplitter-e1f31a5

Last edited by Mercury_22; 5th April 2011 at 20:32.
Mercury_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 20:16   #1269  |  Link
Matching_Mole

Thanks Mercury_22!
Matching_Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 21:42   #1270  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

LAV DirectShow Filters 0.20
Code:
LAV Splitter
- Added first BluRay support (see Release Notes or README for more details)

LAV Audio
- Removed static jitter check which caused corruptions in some audio streams
- Improved error resilience - broken streams should now play in many more cases
Download: 32-bit & 64-bit

Somehow the changelog seems so short, but the first point is quite massive, i suppose. Before i start, to use LAV Splitter for BluRays in MPC-HC, you need at least MPC-HC r2980, and turn the internal MPEG Splitter off. That said, here goes.

BluRay support.
There is currently two ways to play a BluRay using LAV Splitter.
1) Open the index.bdmv. This causes LAV Splitter to try to detect the main movie (longest title without loops or duplicate clips). On some collectors edition BluRays this might end up being a title with additional commentary in between (I have one of those, Terminator: Salvation). Sadly there is no way to detect the difference between titles.
2) Open a .mpls file. From the outside, you can't really know which .mpls file is which, unless you use some crafty little tool, like BDInfo or eac3to to figure out which .mpls is what. In any case, just open one, and the title represented by it will be played.

Selecting the title from within the player is up for the next feature release, but this can already fully replace the MPC-HC internal MPEG Splitter.

Seamless playback should be fully supported, and thanks to some more arcane test samples provided by Sebastiii, i was able to make it work in every case. If you have some Seamless BluRay that does not seem to work properly, well .. its not easy to figure out why, but maybe we can work it out.

Seeking on BluRays is currently sadly not as smooth as it is on normal file media, but thats on the list for future improvements.

Last but not least, i took some time today to improve the error resilience in the audio decoder, which should result in it playing samples that seemed broken before. It could however happen, that this introduces new bugs, so please report any regressions.

I also finally updated ffmpeg (yes, i'm sticking to ffmpeg, not libav), which should fix some bugs, improve performance, and all that.

Have fun, and lets hear those bug reports.

Edit:
I forgot to mention, this can only play back unencrypted discs. If you have an encrypted disc, you need to get AnyDVD HD or some other tool that can decrypt them before!

Last edited by nevcairiel; 5th April 2011 at 22:05.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 21:48   #1271  |  Link
SamuriHL

Thanks, Nev! I've already got it built and will be testing it after work today. So far I've had lots of success with the pre-release code.
Old 5th April 2011, 21:59   #1272  |  Link
Snowknight26

Can you build a debug version of the filters? The splitter crashes MPC-HC when trying to open the Blu-ray "9"s index.bdmv.

No video stream is detected for this m2ts: http://stfcc.org/misc/aita.sample.m2ts
Crash with this m2ts: http://stfcc.org/misc/amergang.sample.m2ts

Last edited by Snowknight26; 5th April 2011 at 22:17.
Snowknight26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 22:00   #1273  |  Link
SamuriHL

Darn we just sent that one back to Netflix yesterday. I watched it with my wife on TMT5. That's a shame.
Old 5th April 2011, 22:01   #1274  |  Link
Kaotech

Quote:
What do you mean with "block"? Its normal that it'll freeze for a second when you switch track, thats just how the changing is done, but it should continue playing directly after.
It's Ok, i've forgotten to register LAVAudio.ax
Kaotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 22:04   #1275  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
Can you build a debug version of the 64-bit filters? The splitter crashes MPC-HC when trying to open the Blu-ray "9"s index.bdmv.
What module does it say it crashes in?
Does it crash with 32-bit? I usually don't test 64-bit much, i just assume it works.

One thing i noticed on some BluRays, ffdshow likes to crash when there is subtitle data before the first video data.
If its crashing, first order of business, try other decoders. Second, try starting the m2ts file itself directly.

I also forgot to mention, this can only play unencrypted discs. I actually have no idea what happens when it hits a still encrypted disc.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 5th April 2011 at 22:08.
Old 5th April 2011, 22:07   #1276  |  Link
Snowknight26

Crashes with both 32- and 64-bit versions. Faulting module is LAVSplitter.ax in each case. Also updated my post with more troublesome samples.

Last edited by Snowknight26; 5th April 2011 at 22:17.
Snowknight26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 22:16   #1277  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowknight26 View Post
LAVSplitter.ax. Also updated my post with more troublesome samples.
I fixed the crash issue, although the stream that caused the crash can probably not be played either way - at least the others work fine.

For the other file .. MediaInfo doesn't show any streams either. Thats a weird file...

Edit: nvm, i figured out where the streams are, how silly.

Thanks for the samples, both issues are fixed.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 5th April 2011 at 22:22.
Old 5th April 2011, 22:28   #1278  |  Link
CruNcher

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?fhrjql6jn453dv5 <- Crashes MPC-HC right after load (seek some seconds) happens with 0.19/0.20

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 22:34   #1279  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher View Post
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?fhrjql6jn453dv5 <- Crashes MPC-HC right after load (seek some seconds) happens with 0.19/0.20
This is not a LAV Splitter issue. It also crashes with the MPC-HC internal Splitter.
The crash is actually because of the subtitles. Configure LAV Splitter to not select any subtitles by default (Subtitle selection Mode to "No Subtitles"), and that file plays just perfectly.
Seems to be a problem with the internal sub renderer.

Sadly ffdshow does not support dvbsubs, so we cannot test it against them for comparison.
Old 5th April 2011, 22:45   #1280  |  Link
CruNcher

I thought something like that as the crash happened when he began to talk and seeing the subtitle being default hehe
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...postcount=1260

the first sample still goes out of sync
the audio plays and the crash is gone with the 2nd sample (it though goes out of sync as well)
For V0lts samples both freeze issues reside (though the canal hd sample now plays 1 frame before freezing audio continues for it)

so 1 (partial) out of 4 fixed

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 5th April 2011 at 22:54.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter