Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 8th March 2011, 19:58   #5921  |  Link
soulkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Conversion between YV12 <-> NV12 is lossless. However, if ffdshow gets YV12 in, it might make sense to also output YV12 to save a tiny bit of CPU power.
soulkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 20:35   #5922  |  Link
iSeries

Hi Mashi,

Any chance of automatic refresh rate changes soon? I can't seem to get MPC-HC's auto refresh rate to work with MadVR (does it work for anyone else?).
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 20:41   #5923  |  Link
jeremy33

iSeries, you can try that to have automatic refresh rate changes : AutoFrequency
jeremy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 20:43   #5924  |  Link
yesgrey

Quote:
Was happens if you have high DPC latencies? Audio skips? Bad audio quality? Video stuttering?
It would depend on how high, but usually the audio might skips, the video might stutters, and sometimes even freeze for some seconds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
What do you consider "very high"?
According to that DPC Latency Checker, i have around 100-110 µs latency. This does not change if i open the panel, or run madVR, or play a game.

This is with a GTX 570 on 266.58 drivers.
That's OK, it's what's supposed to be on Win7 (on XP it should be ~50us). In my case, with a GT 240 and the same drivers, I get ~1450us with auto clocks management, ~1000us with fixed clocks, and ~100us with fixed clocks and the control panel opened in the preview tab (any other tab keeps the latencies high).

I've read in NVidia forums that their two next drivers release should improve on this, so let's just hope that it really happens.
yesgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 20:44   #5925  |  Link
mark0077

Well I confirmed that on a very busy 1080p music video I have, with avisynth scripts almost maxing out my machine converting from 24 to 50fps, and overall finding this video particular difficult, I consistently get about half as many frame drops when I set my Nvidia GTX 295 to "Prefer maximimum performance" as opposed to "Adaptive" for mpc-hc.exe.

Repeated tests shows about 33 frame drops, maybe 1 frame delay over the 3 minute clip with "Prefer maximum performance" and between 55 and 85 drops with 5-10 frame delays whens et to "Adaptive". I'm surprised myself actually.... I'm unsure if its dpc spikes caused by the gpu changing mode or what, but I think I'll be definitely leaving nvidia control panel set to prefer maximum performance, for mpc-hc.exe...

I'm unsure if this only crops up when the machine is under high stress like mine was but definitely a large difference between the two...(as I often have 0 frame drops when in adaptive mode with my machine under less stress with avisynth scripts etc...) yesgrey did you ever set gpu performance settings on a per exe basis like I'm doing, just be interesting to see the differences in results so we can come to some conclusion. I'm using 267.24 drivers.

Last edited by mark0077; 8th March 2011 at 20:48.
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 21:04   #5926  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Any chance of automatic refresh rate changes soon?
My plan is to implement the final exclusive mode rendering path first. And then probably refresh rate changing next. How long it takes will mainly depend on how many bug fixes I have to do in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
Well I confirmed that on a very busy 1080p music video I have, with avisynth scripts almost maxing out my machine converting from 24 to 50fps, and overall finding this video particular difficult, I consistently get about half as many frame drops when I set my Nvidia GTX 295 to "Prefer maximimum performance" as opposed to "Adaptive" for mpc-hc.exe.
Oh, that's interesting!
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 21:19   #5927  |  Link
iSeries

@ jeremy33 - works perfectly, thanks!
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 21:38   #5928  |  Link
jeremy33

Yes I know it's a very good little software
jeremy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 23:20   #5929  |  Link
yesgrey

Quote:
yesgrey did you ever set gpu performance settings on a per exe basis like I'm doing, just be interesting to see the differences in results so we can come to some conclusion. I'm using 267.24 drivers.
Yes, but using nvidia system tools for it. I removed all PowerMizer keys to disable it completely, and I load/unload my own high performance profile (I'm overclocking my GPU ram to 4000MHz) whenever I start/stop mpc-hc.exe. I'm still using 266.58 drivers.

According to NVidia only its drivers April release should contain the full changes that would improve the DPC latency problems.
yesgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 23:50   #5930  |  Link
noee

Any madVR users out there tried with the new Zacate platform (6310 moniker)? Doesn't really appear to have the horsepower needed, looks like a re-branded 4250 IGP on the 40nm node.
noee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 06:14   #5931  |  Link
JamPS

Quote:
That's weird! Can I have a log, please? Let the blinking run for a couple of seconds, then press pause and resume and let it continue to run for a couple of seconds. Then close MPC-HC.
Ahh, it had to do with "disable desktop composition" being suddenly enabled, without that checked it works again fine
Didn't get it to blink like it used to though, will make a log if it does it again.

Here are 2 logs, one with desktop composition disabled, one without.
Attached Files
File Type: zip madVR-log.zip (280.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: zip madVR - log.zip (87.0 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by JamPS; 9th March 2011 at 06:17.
JamPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 08:59   #5932  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamPS View Post
Ahh, it had to do with "disable desktop composition" being suddenly enabled, without that checked it works again fine
Didn't get it to blink like it used to though, will make a log if it does it again.
Can you reproduce the problem with v0.43 at all? I've added a fix to v0.43 which may have fixed the problem completely.
Old 9th March 2011, 11:04   #5933  |  Link
ExtraEye

Recently my graphic card's been heating up and i've found shutting down the process "poclbm.exe" solves it.
I would even kill the process, then later it would start on it's own and somehow use my gpu(98%).
I don't know why this is happening, but process explorer pointed me to madvr folder and so for now i deleted it.

NVM: Probably a virus.

Last edited by ExtraEye; 9th March 2011 at 15:52.
ExtraEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 11:09   #5934  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

There's a poclbm.exe in your madVR folder? Where did that come from? It's not part of madVR.
Old 9th March 2011, 11:58   #5935  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

poclbm.exe is some tool that uses your GPU calculation power to mine for Bitcoin currency blocks. (The more computing power you put in, the more coins you get). I guess you installed that at some point... :d
Old 9th March 2011, 12:09   #5936  |  Link
Mark_A_W
3 eyed CRT supporter

I've just built myself up a new PC based on a Core I7 950, with hyperthreading. It's very fast
And I'm still running windowed mode as I run an interlaced res for my CRT, and exclusive mode fails.

Anyway, I've had terrible trouble getting madVR to play even remotely smoothly - it's just been a jumpy mess, with dropped and delayed frames jumping 20 or more every few seconds.

Turns out it is the "upload frames in render thread" option. With that disabled I get rock solid results - I can play for ages (hours) with no dropped or delayed frames at all. Turn it on and the mess returns. All other performance settings left at default.

Is anyone else running a hyperthreaded CPU?

Cheers

Mark
Mark_A_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 12:11   #5937  |  Link
mark0077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W View Post
I've just built myself up a new PC based on a Core I7 950, with hyperthreading. It's very fast
And I'm still running windowed mode as I run an interlaced res for my CRT, and exclusive mode fails.

Anyway, I've had terrible trouble getting madVR to play even remotely smoothly - it's just been a jumpy mess, with dropped and delayed frames jumping 20 or more every few seconds.

Turns out it is the "upload frames in render thread" option. With that disabled I get rock solid results - I can play for ages (hours) with no dropped or delayed frames at all. Turn it on and the mess returns. All other performance settings left at default.

Is anyone else running a hyperthreaded CPU?

Cheers

Mark
I'm using an i7 920 and have never had such an issue with that setting, but I'm not using interlaced. I assume your problem is nothing to do with your cpu but your gfx card / its drivers or both? What gfx card / driver / os combo are you using?
Old 9th March 2011, 12:17   #5938  |  Link
Mark_A_W
3 eyed CRT supporter

Quote:
I'm using an i7 920 and have never had such an issue with that setting, but I'm not using interlaced. I assume your problem is nothing to do with your cpu but your gfx card / its drivers or both? What gfx card / driver / os combo are you using?

I have an ATi 4850, cat 11.2 and W7 x64.

In this regard, the old PC (Q6600) was the same.
Mark_A_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 12:38   #5939  |  Link
mark0077

Ah ok, well if it was me I suppose I would just go and make sure I had the latest bios for my board, and go through each setting in there making sure is A-OK especially ones to do with high precision timing etc... install latest chipset drivers and audio drivers etc and maybe check dpc latency to see if there are issues. I hope you resolve it!
Old 10th March 2011, 19:35   #5940  |  Link
soulkeeper

Well,i started using another avisynth script to interpolate 23.976->60 which uses 30%cpu,so now i don't resize to 1280*720 in ffdshow...
Madvr is doing the resize now(about 80% gpu usage ati 5670)..actually it is downscalling cause most movies are 1080p and my display is 720p....
In the settings page there is not a setting about chroma downscalling (in luma downscalling i've selected spline 4taps)...
What is the chroma downscalling method?

Also,is it normal to take 15-20 minutes for my fps to stabilze at 60fps (actually 60.02fps as per mpchc statistics)...shouldn't that be exactly 60fps?
soulkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling