Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 28th February 2011, 22:20   #5821  |  Link
Vovanchik

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...43#post1445843
in this case is now 0.41 does not jump on the primary monitor, but simply revealed by extended in windowed mode, ignoring the exclusive
old wrong method from the end of the post continues to operate correctly
win7x64sp1 ati5770_11.2

Last edited by Vovanchik; 28th February 2011 at 22:27.
Vovanchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 22:50   #5822  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam777 View Post
still have menu disappearing at times, in addition to old frame etc.
Please try with v0.42, should be fixed now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
I think it's worse? 0.36 has been working like a charm for me, hell started breaking loose w/ 0.37 and it's only gone down hill from there
Please try v0.42, hopefully all problems should be fixed now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps View Post
Whenever I use LAVAudio decoder + LAVSplitter to play a H.264/AC3 file I get stuttery playback with madVR.
Can you please make a new log with v0.42? I've added some new output information that might help figuring out what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noee View Post
Just installed .41. Does not seem to work anymore with jRiver (still running the same MC version before installing .41). I get a very strange presentation, half of the video window is solid green and the other half contains the movie, albeit, scrunched up to fit. Back to .39 and all is well.
Fixed in v0.42.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovanchik View Post
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...43#post1445843
in this case is now 0.41 does not jump on the primary monitor, but simply revealed by extended in windowed mode, ignoring the exclusive
old wrong method from the end of the post continues to operate correctly
win7x64sp1 ati5770_11.2
I don't really understand what you're saying. You're saying madVR goes into exclusive mode on the wrong monitor? Please make sure that you move the media player to the right monitor *before* you load the video file. If you load the video file first, and move the media player to the other monitor afterwards, you'll run into problems. That problem will be fixed in a future madVR version.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 22:50   #5823  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.42 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* changed aspect ratio reporting back (PotPlayer and JR MC didn't like v0.41)
* improved forced redrawing of all GUI stuff after exclusive -> windowed switch
* removed some of the "disable desktop composition" modes
Old 28th February 2011, 22:55   #5824  |  Link
ajp_anton

When the Windows 7 magnifier is active (with or without magnification), the mouse arrow/hand isn't visible in exclusive mode.
(I sometimes use the magnification since I sit much farther away from the screen when watching movies, but need to navigate some menus.)

This also happens with other renderers that have an exclusive mode or similar, so not sure if there's anything you can do about it...
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 23:03   #5825  |  Link
Vovanchik

Quote:
move media player to the right monitor *before* you load the video file
Yes, it works. Thanks.

With this setting, move player *before* does not need

why in the exclusive GUI does not show the current time / remaining?

sorry for bad english

Last edited by Vovanchik; 28th February 2011 at 23:25.
Vovanchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 23:23   #5826  |  Link
fps

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Can you please make a new log with v0.42? I've added some new output information that might help figuring out what's going on.
Wow that was quick .
Here's the new log.
I switched to FSE at about 10s again and back to windowed mode at roughly 20s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovanchik View Post
why in the exclusive GUI does not show the current time / remaining?
If I recall correctly this is on madshi's todo list and will be implemented later on.

Last edited by fps; 28th February 2011 at 23:31.
fps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 23:43   #5827  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

for the new build!

the AR problem in PotP is solved, indeed

the zombie frames problem and the partially refreshed menus are solved as well, but the movie "jumps" back and forth when going FSE>FSW...it used to be a lot smoother, only dropping a few frames...now it really stutters and "blinks" back and forth. Also, sometimes the bottom transport bar doesn't appear completely and only the PotP seekbar itself shows up.

After making the bottom transport bar appear and disappear like 30 times in a row, I even got a windows (GDI?) error message stating that there was a memory leak in progress?! It was written in a windows 95/NT4 style msg box and disappeared instantly, huh? I couldn't capture it. I would really appreciate an option to get the <.37 behavior back please, as it was working like a charm and no stutter nor legacy system error msg's when going FSE>FSW

Last edited by leeperry; 1st March 2011 at 01:48.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 23:48   #5828  |  Link
underzone

leeperry, where can I get this leeperry skinned potplayer I hear about? I assume I still use ffdshow from the xvid.ru source with it yeah?
underzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 00:17   #5829  |  Link
adam777

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam777 View Post
still have menu disappearing at times, in addition to old frame etc.
Please try with v0.42, should be fixed now.
Unfortunately, not.
But as I've said before it happens only with "disable desktop composition" and it really is not a big issue (another right click, that's all )
Moreover, unless someone else is having a similar behavior, might be some weird behavior of my machine...

Last edited by adam777; 1st March 2011 at 00:26.
adam777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 00:49   #5830  |  Link
HoP

madVR support intel graphic accelerator??
if no...when it will support it??
Old 1st March 2011, 01:07   #5831  |  Link
DigitalLF

HoP: Never, to slow.
Old 1st March 2011, 01:40   #5832  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
What cca describes sounds almost identical to my symptoms with Fullscreen Exclusive (3 buffers, weird stuttering, out-of-order frames), except I'm using a single NVIDIA card on WinXP.
I was fiddling around with this a bit, and it seems that if I set VSync to Force Off for MPC-HC, the weird stuttering goes away. In exchange I get screen tearing.

While not particularly helpful, it does confirm that madVR is enabling the NVIDIA hardware VSync when in fullscreen exclusive on my system. Tearing with VSync set to Force Off also confirms that madVR Fullscreen Exclusive VSync is also effectively disabled.

What you've been saying about working on a Final Render Path for Fullscreen Exclusive now makes a bit more sense. The problem is the current render path breaking hardware Vsync when enabled, rather than Vsync not enabling at all.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 02:30   #5833  |  Link
Mangix
Audiophile

no clue how to make a sample so i uploaded a whole file. it's only around 3 megs though.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ww7vvr

running mpc-hc with stock decoders, madVR 0.42, nvidia geforce 450 gts 1gb, 265.68 drivers, windows 7 sp1, 1680x1050 60Hz. no clue what else is useful.

edit: just realized i wasn't using stock decoders at all. it's microsoft's decoder's fault.

Last edited by Mangix; 1st March 2011 at 02:35.
Mangix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 04:23   #5834  |  Link
ajp_anton

Just realized how insanely fast the exclusive mode switch is with the new versions. It's almost scary, I barely see any difference between it and "windowed" fullscreen anymore.
Using Win 7 x64, "disable desktop composition" is unchecked.
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 06:24   #5835  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
The negative aspect seems to be that a few (very few) people now experience this cosmetical problem of half-drawn windows.
I used 0.40 for about a minute, skipping through a video I had managed to create serious window garbage all over the screen. Once I closed MPC I started playback again everything was good, I've only used 0.40 once for a hour or so. I will try out 0.42 tonight, Like Leeperry I find 0.36 to be my preference thus far.

I would love to see a feature in MadVR where the name of the file playing back is displayed for a defined time in the same way that the exclusive mode message displays. Would anyone else find that useful?

After using 0.42 for a minute I see when the MPC window resizes as I double click, the image becomes pixelated for a second and the image does a second stretch to fit.
0.36 performs better most of the time in this area but still had the ocassional pixelated image, it also displayed the last viewed frame now and then which I haven't seen happen in 0.40 & 0.42

One issue which has happened twice so far is, as MPC plays the next file in the folder automatically I have my task bar appear. Aero then switches modes and my task bar stays visible and non transparent as the movie plays, however I can't reproduce it.
Great to see that when this doesn't happen the next file plays back without the previous frame popping up and the screen remains black until the next file plays, nice!

Last edited by ryrynz; 1st March 2011 at 07:17.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 16:19   #5836  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp_anton View Post
Just realized how insanely fast the exclusive mode switch is with the new versions. It's almost scary, I barely see any difference between it and "windowed" fullscreen anymore.
Using Win 7 x64, "disable desktop composition" is unchecked.
I know, right? The funny thing is that each version just gets smoother and smoother for me on the windowed -> exclusive transition. Basically no difference between the two now lol. Desktop Composition off here as well.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 17:50   #5837  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
When the Windows 7 magnifier is active (with or without magnification), the mouse arrow/hand isn't visible in exclusive mode.
(I sometimes use the magnification since I sit much farther away from the screen when watching movies, but need to navigate some menus.)

This also happens with other renderers that have an exclusive mode or similar, so not sure if there's anything you can do about it...
I don't think there's anything I can do about it. In exclusive mode nobody else it allowed to draw on the screen except madVR. That's the very definition of "exclusive". madVR has exclusive access to the drawing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps View Post
Wow that was quick .
Here's the new log.
I switched to FSE at about 10s again and back to windowed mode at roughly 20s.
Ok, I think I know what's going wrong, I'll post the follow up to the LAV thread, cause it seems to be a bug caused by the LAV audio decoder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
the zombie frames problem and the partially refreshed menus are solved as well, but the movie "jumps" back and forth when going FSE>FSW...it used to be a lot smoother, only dropping a few frames...now it really stutters and "blinks" back and forth. Also, sometimes the bottom transport bar doesn't appear completely and only the PotP seekbar itself shows up.
Oh well. Ok, I've changed some things back to the way v0.36 behaved - but only for Windows XP. I think the behaviour in XP was always fine. Most of the changes for improved exclusive -> windowed switching are now Vista (and newer) exclusive. Hope that you'll be back to v0.36 standards with the next build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoP View Post
madVR support intel graphic accelerator??
Generally Intel DX9 is supported, but it's rather slow, so if you want to get smooth playback, you'll have to compromise on scaling algorithms.

Quote:
I was fiddling around with this a bit, and it seems that if I set VSync to Force Off for MPC-HC, the weird stuttering goes away. In exchange I get screen tearing.

While not particularly helpful, it does confirm that madVR is enabling the NVIDIA hardware VSync when in fullscreen exclusive on my system. Tearing with VSync set to Force Off also confirms that madVR Fullscreen Exclusive VSync is also effectively disabled.
Interesting. Probably the exclusive mode is simply disabled when you force VSync off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangix View Post
no clue how to make a sample so i uploaded a whole file. it's only around 3 megs though.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ww7vvr

running mpc-hc with stock decoders, madVR 0.42, nvidia geforce 450 gts 1gb, 265.68 drivers, windows 7 sp1, 1680x1050 60Hz. no clue what else is useful.

edit: just realized i wasn't using stock decoders at all. it's microsoft's decoder's fault.
Thanks for the sample. I've tried in Windows 7 x64 SP1 with an MS decoder, but I couldn't reproduce any problems. Which MS decoder were you using exactly? What did MPC-HC say about the decoder? And please upload a debug log for me, if possible. Thanks.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
I know, right? The funny thing is that each version just gets smoother and smoother for me on the windowed -> exclusive transition. Basically no difference between the two now lol. Desktop Composition off here as well.
Happy to hear some positive feedback about the exclusive -> windowed switch improvements!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I used 0.40 for about a minute, skipping through a video I had managed to create serious window garbage all over the screen. Once I closed MPC I started playback again everything was good, I've only used 0.40 once for a hour or so. I will try out 0.42 tonight, Like Leeperry I find 0.36 to be my preference thus far.
Which OS are you using? Which GPU? Which madVR desktop composition settings are you using? Do you have Aero generally enabled/disabled?
Old 1st March 2011, 20:50   #5838  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Interesting. Probably the exclusive mode is simply disabled when you force VSync off.
What makes you think that? Exclusive Mode (Vsync forced off) is not identical to Windowed mode where I get perfectly smooth playback with no tearing. The madVR GUI and stats believes it is in Exclusive mode as well. Would a Debug build log pick that up?

I was assuming Force Off Vsync would just be like running any Direct3D app in Fullscreen Exclusive without Vsync, since Vsync is just an optional feature which can be turned on and off.

I wish there was some way I could help you debug the problem, since I can't exactly send you my GPU.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 1st March 2011 at 20:53.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 20:56   #5839  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
What makes you think that? Exclusive Mode (Vsync forced off) is not identical to Windowed mode where I get perfectly smooth playback with no tearing. The madVR GUI and stats believes it is in Exclusive mode as well. Would a Debug build log pick that up?

I was assuming Force Off Vsync would just be like running any Direct3D app in Fullscreen Exclusive without Vsync, since Vsync is just an optional feature which can be turned on and off.

I wish there was some way I could help you debug the problem, since I can't exactly send you my GPU.
Well, it doesn't matter, anyway, the final exclusive mode rendering path is coming soon and should fix the problem you're having.
Old 2nd March 2011, 08:21   #5840  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Which OS are you using? Which GPU? Which madVR desktop composition settings are you using? Do you have Aero generally enabled/disabled?
On the HTPC that I saw the window garbage appear I'm running a HD5670 with Win7 x64 with Aero enabled.

Last edited by ryrynz; 2nd March 2011 at 09:05.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling