Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd September 2010, 23:30   #4621  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I had PMed James via SlySoft PM, asking him for doing some Reclock <-> madVR communication, but he didn't seem to be very interested.
I've left a message on the Reclock board about this: http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=145

I guess this would be the best of both worlds

BTW, I also understand why you added the 3" delay between FSE/FSW, I've seen the PotP menus make mVR go bersek a few times..but it's very rare, and I hardly ever use its menus anyway.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 23:40   #4622  |  Link
Peuj

Hi,

I have some crashes since the new version.
Switching from a video to another makes PotPlayer crashes:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U47UZ6I4

I've the default settings and set my HDTV and monitor to "Digital Monitor/TV"

Thanks
Peuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 23:56   #4623  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
There's been many undocumented fixes in PotPlayer lately, and it's working as fast as it used to again w/ 0.32...I'll come back w/ a log if it glitches up, but this seemed to be very rare, I only saw it once or twice w/ 0.31 tbh.

Yes I was using different intervals, and basically the first frames of the loop were dropped in FSE but not in FSW(I didn't enable mVR's OSD, though)...I've tried again w/ the latest version of PotP/ffdshow and 0.32, I can't seem to be able to recreate the problem.
Good to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
BTW, I also understand why you added the 3" delay between FSE/FSW, I've seen the PotP menus make mVR go bersek a few times..but it's very rare, and I hardly ever use its menus anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuj View Post
I have some crashes since the new version.
Switching from a video to another makes PotPlayer crashes:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U47UZ6I4
The log shows 22 seconds of playback, followed by proper madVR close down. I don't see any indication of a problem in that log. Can you describe in more detail what happens? Does the crash happen *everytime* you start one video and then switch to another? @leeperry, can you confirm that?

FWIW, it doesn't seem to happen for me, but I'm not using the latest PotPlayer version.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 00:05   #4624  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
It might come in handy to allow choosing the interval...something like 250/500ms should make the switches smoother and yet not too tardy. Just saying!

Last edited by leeperry; 24th September 2010 at 00:10.
Old 24th September 2010, 00:16   #4625  |  Link
Vovanchik

Quote:
Can you post the media type pin information from EVR and madVR?

it seems they too are on the wrong fps from ffdshow, but they are counted as correct ...
my bad))
Quote:
you should try to optimize your display refresh rate instead, trying to get it nearer to 59.94Hz
video can be 25fps... as a result of 25 * 12 / 5 = 60 picture will twitch

Last edited by Vovanchik; 24th September 2010 at 00:44.
Vovanchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 02:26   #4626  |  Link
robpdotcom

Quote:
.....currently there's no difference between all those device types - except for the "receiver" device type which behaves differently.
Just curious, would you elaborate on how "receiver" is different?
AMD 6870
robpdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 07:37   #4627  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post

I can easily reproduce by playing a file, and maximizing the screen and seeking to the end of the file. Once MPC transitions to the next file in the folder, MPC drops to a normal sized window displays a previously played frame then maximizes again, this only occurs when exclusive mode is enabled.
Would just like to mention that 0.32 still does this for me, I know it's unlikely to be a priority, thank you for the updates Madshi.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 08:37   #4628  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovanchik View Post
it seems they too are on the wrong fps from ffdshow
Well, as I said, you may want to report this as a bug to the ffdshow devs.

Quote:
video can be 25fps... as a result of 25 * 12 / 5 = 60 picture will twitch
Ideally your display should be switched to 25Hz or 50Hz for PAL content, and to 23.976Hz or 59.940Hz for NTSC/Blu-Ray content. Can your display not handle such refresh rates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpdotcom View Post
Just curious, would you elaborate on how "receiver" is different?
Well, for a start, the HDMI cabling is different:

(1) GPU -> display
(2) GPU -> receiver -> display

Now madVR wants to make all settings available per *display*. The receiver is just a middleman. If you switch displays, but keep using the same receiver, madVR still wants you to be able to use different settings for the different displays. So having a receiver connected to your GPU makes things more complicated, because madVR will get identification information from the receiver, but not from the display.

Practically, because the receiver is just a middleman, madVR doesn't let you configure things like PC vs video levels for the receiver device. However, for a receiver device madVR lets you specify which display is connected to the receiver, and you can then configure settings for the display (and not for the receiver).

Quote:
Would just like to mention that 0.32 still does this for me, I know it's unlikely to be a priority, thank you for the updates Madshi.
I did reply to you (as always) and you seem to have missed that reply (once again).
Old 24th September 2010, 09:01   #4629  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
I've tried, but I can't seem to be able to reproduce this problem. Still using an older MPC HC version (1.3.2273.0) here, though. Maybe it behaves different to the version you're using? Please try toggling the 2 options "Playback -> Fullscreen -> Launch files in fullscreen" and "-> Exit fullscreen at the end of playback". Maybe that helps?
Toggled those options with no effect, I'll try and narrow it down.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 09:04   #4630  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Toggled those options with no effect, I'll try and narrow it down.
Well, if you could find a way for me to reproduce the problem on my PC, that would be great.
Old 24th September 2010, 10:31   #4631  |  Link
mark0077

Hi madshi, very happy with 0.32. Just a query though on the results I get versus what the GUI says is expected in terms of frame delays / drops.

Playing 23.976 content on my display (23.96~), 0.32 is reporting I should get 1 frame repeat every 40 or so seconds. Thats fine, but after resetting the stats, and letting video play for half an hour yesterday I came back to see 4 frame "drops". I am just wondering can I / we use this sort of mismatch to help diagnose problems or improvements to the renderer.

I'll test again this evening, just basically asking should I use this mismatch between expected and actual results as a warning that somethings wrong, ie I'm not getting as good results as I should..
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 10:36   #4632  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

When your refresh rate is lower then the video content, you'll of course see drops, not repeats. Not sure why madVR would claim the repeat, tbh.

I have the same situation pretty much, except that my actual refresh rate is closer to being perfect (23.974)

Using the values provided, without knowing your clock deviation, it would come down to one drop roughly every 63 seconds.
This value will vary of course with your clock deviation, and might be much better.

An inaccurate measure of the clock deviation could cause madVR to claim repeats, though.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 24th September 2010 at 10:59.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 10:40   #4633  |  Link
Vovanchik

Quote:
Ideally your display should be switched
Well I have a little different situation. I am directly interested in the best possible display fps - larger gives greater fluidity and smoothness of movement. is in fact is the essence of mvtools
smoothness of between 25 and 60 very different
as an example of the plugin conversion 23.976 -> 59.94
http://rapidshare.com/files/420937651/sample01.mkv
Old 24th September 2010, 11:12   #4634  |  Link
Vovanchik

I do not know a topic was raised or not, but like in the last pages are not seen.
Well. we have 2 identical situation
win7x64 + ati 1950 (10.2 drivers) + monitor (1920х1200) + plasma (1386х768)
win7x86 + ati 4350 (10.8 drivers) + monitor (1680х1024)+ plasma (1280х720)
monitor main display, plasma extended
if mpc-pc (any version older than 1.3 at least) to choose madvr, in its options to include an exclusive mode and try to open the player to full screen on a plasma - the plasma becomes a black background on the main display at this time displayed the picture size with a resolution plasma on a black background.
solved the problem a little awry - in settings mpc exhibited fullscreen d3d
and choose a plasma as a device full-screen playback. after this exclusive mode starts to work correctly and at the right place.
Old 24th September 2010, 11:22   #4635  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
Hi madshi, very happy with 0.32. Just a query though on the results I get versus what the GUI says is expected in terms of frame delays / drops.

Playing 23.976 content on my display (23.96~), 0.32 is reporting I should get 1 frame repeat every 40 or so seconds. Thats fine, but after resetting the stats, and letting video play for half an hour yesterday I came back to see 4 frame "drops". I am just wondering can I / we use this sort of mismatch to help diagnose problems or improvements to the renderer.

I'll test again this evening, just basically asking should I use this mismatch between expected and actual results as a warning that somethings wrong, ie I'm not getting as good results as I should..
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
When your refresh rate is lower then the video content, you'll of course see drops, not repeats. Not sure why madVR would claim the repeat, tbh.

I have the same situation pretty much, except that my actual refresh rate is closer to being perfect (23.974)

Using the values provided, without knowing your clock deviation, it would come down to one drop roughly every 63 seconds.
This value will vary of course with your clock deviation, and might be much better.

An inaccurate measure of the clock deviation could cause madVR to claim repeats, though.
The clock deviation measurement is a tough one because the clock jitters a lot. You literally need an hour of straight playback (without pausing/seeking in between) to get halfway reliable measurement results. The clock deviation can turn drops into repeats and the other way round. So really, madVR's estimates of frame drops/repeats can only be taken at face value after at least an hour of uninterrupted playback. Once you get a reliable measurement, it should give you a good hint of how to improve your custom timings. But if you have a bit of patience, I'm planning to invest some more work into this area in the next couple of weeks.

Quote:
Well I have a little different situation. I am directly interested in the best possible display fps - larger gives greater fluidity and smoothness of movement. is in fact is the essence of mvtools
smoothness of between 25 and 60 very different
as an example of the plugin conversion 23.976 -> 59.94
http://rapidshare.com/files/420937651/sample01.mkv
Ok, so you like to use mvtools2.dll, I can understand that. But the only purpose of ConvertFps is to avoid motion judder caused by a mismatch between source framerate and display refresh rate. You can get rid of ConvertFps by optimizing your display refresh rate. ConvertFps damages video quality. You should try to match the display refresh rate to the frame rate produced by mvtools2.dll. If mvtools2.dll outputs 59.94fps, then set your display to 59.94Hz. If mvtools2.dll outputs 60fps, then set your display to 60.00Hz. This way ConvertFps is not needed, anymore.

Quote:
I do not know a topic was raised or not, but like in the last pages are not seen.
Well. we have 2 identical situation
win7x64 + ati 1950 (10.2 drivers) + monitor (1920х1200) + plasma (1386х768)
win7x86 + ati 4350 (10.8 drivers) + monitor (1680х1024)+ plasma (1280х720)
monitor main display, plasma extended
if mpc-pc (any version older than 1.3 at least) to choose madvr, in its options to include an exclusive mode and try to open the player to full screen on a plasma - the plasma becomes a black background on the main display at this time displayed the picture size with a resolution plasma on a black background.
solved the problem a little awry - in settings mpc exhibited fullscreen d3d
and choose a plasma as a device full-screen playback. after this exclusive mode starts to work correctly and at the right place.
The MPC HC option "D3D fullscreen" must be turned OFF. I know it's confusing. I'll try to get this fixed in MPC HC.
Old 24th September 2010, 11:39   #4636  |  Link
Peuj

Quote:

The log shows 22 seconds of playback, followed by proper madVR close down. I don't see any indication of a problem in that log. Can you describe in more detail what happens? Does the crash happen *everytime* you start one video and then switch to another? @leeperry, can you confirm that?

FWIW, it doesn't seem to happen for me, but I'm not using the latest PotPlayer version.
To reproduce the problem I play a video, move forward then load a another video, move forward and then there is an Alert message box thrown by PotPlayer with "Unexpected exception..."

I can reproduce the problem really easily. This only happens with madVR and the latest version.

I can give you more logs with the exact steps if you need.
Old 24th September 2010, 12:01   #4637  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuj View Post
To reproduce the problem I play a video, move forward then load a another video, move forward and then there is an Alert message box thrown by PotPlayer with "Unexpected exception..."

I can reproduce the problem really easily. This only happens with madVR and the latest version.
It seems to be working fine here, and in my experience this error msg in PotPlayer is like the dready "floating point error" in ZP, it's usually a filter connection problem or a bug in its own code. I used to have it from time to time when seeking a lot in seamless playback mode, but it wouldn't really crash the player...and it hasn't happened in a while.

what's your filter list? I've just tried to:
-open a movie
-get into FSE mode, and seek
-get back to FSW, open another movie(w/o closing PotP) and do the same several times = no crash

my filter list was:
(1) Haali Media Splitter
(2) CoreAVC Video Decoder
(3) ffdshow Video Decoder
(4) Madshi Video Renderer
(5) ffdshow Audio Decoder
(6) ReClock Audio Renderer

if you didn't already, you may wanna delete all the files in the PotP folder except for PotPlayerMini.exe and PotPlayer.dll ...I have limited trust in the built-in decoders/splitters.

Last edited by leeperry; 24th September 2010 at 12:03.
Old 24th September 2010, 13:22   #4638  |  Link
Peuj

I don't need to go to fullscreen to make it crash (nothing related with FSE/FSW).
I use the default PotPlayer splitters/decoders.

I'll make more test tonigh and try the previous madVR version just to be sure.

Thanks
Old 24th September 2010, 13:39   #4639  |  Link
fastplayer

Quote:
* ffdshow is not asked for audio/subtitle streams, anymore (stability issues)
Wasn't this fixed by albain a few weeks ago? If not, please PM him about that.
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 14:27   #4640  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastplayer View Post
Wasn't this fixed by albain a few weeks ago? If not, please PM him about that.
Maybe it was, I don't know for sure. But madVR really wants to talk to the splitter and ffdshow is *never* the splitter, AFAIK. So it doesn't make sense for madVR to ask ffdshow about video/audio streams, anyway...

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling