Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 2nd April 2010, 21:36   #101  |  Link
joe48
AVFS Developer

.5 sec audio clip w/ no-interleave option

As Ian noted, AVFS is truncating .5s off the audio stream when the no-interleave option was set, creating an invalid AVI file. I put together a fix for this and Robert verified it resolved this issue. The fix will be in 1.0.0.5, which should be out pretty quickly.

The extra frame in the virtual AVI compared to the source file (491/490, 16.366s vs 16.333s) seems related to the DirectShowSource and ffdshow-tryout setup. Using FfmpegSource the frame count and duration are correct, verified by Robert. I have given up on reproducing this as I have been unable to get DirectShowSource and ffdshow-tryout to work on my system, a 2 yr old Vista 64 install.

The "open as audio only" issues are probably limitation of the specific application. I expect most applications will have trouble with non-interleaved audio, that was my experience during the initial AVFS development.

Thanks for the help Robert.
joe48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2010, 22:32   #102  |  Link
Robert Martens

You're welcome, I'm glad to be of service.

I think I've finally learned my lesson, and I'll stick to FFmpegSource and DGDecode for my non-AVI files from now on. Loading the clip as audio-only is likewise something I don't foresee a need for, interleaved or not, so if I need an external file as an audio source I can simply use the WAV files AVFS creates.

Thank you for the fix, I'll be sure to append that DV Info Net thread with the information once 1.0.0.5 is released!
Robert Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 01:43   #103  |  Link
joe48
AVFS Developer

AVFS tips/trouble, needed for readme

I know a few pople have worked out how to setup scripts so AVFS will work with specific products, such as Quicktime and Final Cut Pro. In particular, being able to import without converting to RGB.

I would like to get this info in the AVFS readme to save some users having to figure this out, or giving up trying. Please post any tips you think will help.

Also, anyone who has had problems with things like explorer, shell extensions, anti-virus, content indexer, etc., causing grief by reading the virtual AVI files, get that info posted here as well so I can look into it.
Old 4th April 2010, 22:30   #104  |  Link
JoeH

Hi Joe!

Thanks for this product. I use it together with DGIndexNV in order to import H264 / VC1 files directly into Sony Vegas Pro 8 for editing. I find that final rendering is about 25% faster than this way compared to using an intermediate codec, and obviously it's great for disk space.

The only difficulty I have found is that the thumbnails in Vegas are painted very slowly - it takes about 10 seconds usually to paint the whole timeline of thumbnails. In comparison, if I use an intermediate codec it takes around 1 second.

I have an NVidia 9500 GT which is reading the video using DGIndexNV. As Vegas can't import AVS scripts, I use your AVFS to create an AVI which I import. Any ideas for getting improved performance on the thumbnail creation?
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 20:05   #105  |  Link
joe48
AVFS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
Hi Joe!
The only difficulty I have found is that the thumbnails in Vegas are painted very slowly - it takes about 10 seconds usually to paint the whole timeline of thumbnails. In comparison, if I use an intermediate codec it takes around 1 second.
Any ideas for getting improved performance on the thumbnail creation?
I do not have any experience with Vegas (or any other pro editing tools for that matter), so do not know any specifics. Things are going to be slower with NLE tools since you have the script overhead for every frame that is touched by a read from the editing app.

You may be able to setup your script so that you can easily disable/enable the more time consuming processing steps. Use the script with the time consuming steps disabled when doing editing, then enable full processing and reopen your project before generating final output.
Old 26th June 2010, 17:46   #106  |  Link
Jim_Pansen

I found the AVFS today & I'm very impressed! It matchs my needs for using AVS scripts in my workflow.
It speeds up my workflow immediately!
THX a lot for developing this!

Great tool!

Jim
Jim_Pansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 20:17   #107  |  Link
kolak

Is there a way to implement V210 at the output, so in case of 10bit codecs (v210, Cineform, ProRes, DNxHD) we could keep this precision?
It's a great and simple piece of software

Thanks,
Andrew
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 22:45   #108  |  Link
IanB
Avisynth Developer

@kolak,

Avisynth does not have any internal pixel formats other than 8 bit at present.

And the design here is to output uncompressed pixel data wrapped as an uncompressed virtual .AVI file.

This is an open source project, sure you could add a compression interface, but why would one want to burn cpu cycles generating pixel data. then compressing it into memory, only to then decompress it again immediately to use the raw pixel data.
IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 14:48   #109  |  Link
kolak

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanB View Post
@kolak,

Avisynth does not have any internal pixel formats other than 8 bit at present.

And the design here is to output uncompressed pixel data wrapped as an uncompressed virtual .AVI file.

This is an open source project, sure you could add a compression interface, but why would one want to burn cpu cycles generating pixel data. then compressing it into memory, only to then decompress it again immediately to use the raw pixel data.
You did not understand me correctly. I don't want to put any codec in between- these are exapmle of 10bit codecs only.

I just would like to keep 10bit precision. If my source file is 10bit (eg Cineform file) I would like to have 10bit uncompressed virtual file. It gets converter to YUY2 now. This is what I expcted, it's an avisynth limitation

Is there any trick to pass v210 output from eg. Cineform, ProRes?

Andrew

Last edited by kolak; 23rd September 2010 at 22:34.
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 21:50   #110  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

WARNING, Pismo File Mount Audit Package (pfmap-159-win.exe) is flagged
by COMODO AntiVirus as suspicious (Today with just updated AV DB).
Have submitted to VirusTotal.com where only COMODO out of 42 AV scanners
had any concern over it. Have submitted to COMODO as false +ve.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 22:42   #111  |  Link
joe48
AVFS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
WARNING, Pismo File Mount Audit Package (pfmap-159-win.exe) is flagged
by COMODO AntiVirus as suspicious (Today with just updated AV
Anti virus products should be required by law to have a warning label attached to their packaging.
+------------------------------------------
| WARNING: Windows security products
| contain snake-oil, a substance known to
| the admin general to deteriorate the
| performance, reliability, and security of
| computer systems.
+------------------------------------------
(joke)

This looks like a heuristic (fuzzy logic) detection. Likely the anti-virus product noticed that the PFM installer loads a kernel driver. Possible the anti-virus product mistakenly thinks the PFM installer is a packed executable. I doubt PFM has specifically been classified as malware by the anti-virus product.

The PFM install package and every contained executable/DLL is signed with a code signing certificate. Most security products trust signed executables until they get a sample of some malicious code that was signed with the same certificate. I am surprised if Comodo is not doing the same.

Joe L.
Old 26th September 2010, 04:19   #112  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Yes, just suspicious, as Heur.Suspicious@116614127.

Also, as an aside, I think Comodo is supposed to be one of the
biggest certificate issuers in the world.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 26th September 2010 at 20:28.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 18:18   #113  |  Link
JoeH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
I found a solution to this problem - index the file with FFMS2 and then mount with AVFS the AVS script that opens the ffindex file. The H264 / VC1 files fly... just like an intermediate codec. Very useful if you need to edit one in Sony Vegas, or any other video editing program.
Old 14th January 2011, 03:03   #114  |  Link
name123

i like this concept but i am unable to test this out because when i run the installer for pismo film mount it crashes my win7 x64, has anyone experienced this?
name123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 03:35   #115  |  Link
joe48
AVFS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by name123 View Post
i like this concept but i am unable to test this out because when i run the installer for pismo film mount it crashes my win7 x64, has anyone experienced this?
PFM runs fine on Win7 x64. A crash is most likely a compatibility issue between the PFM kernel extension and some other kernel extension or malware installed on the system. I am not aware of any specific compatibility issues at this time, but there have been a few cases over the last few years. If you are interested in helping to diagnose the issue, contact me via the support e-mail address listed on the Pismo Technic website.
Old 14th January 2011, 03:58   #116  |  Link
name123

will do, thanks
name123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 07:19   #117  |  Link
torwart

You are a genious joe48!!!! Great program!!!!!!
torwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 10:37   #118  |  Link
JoeH

I use it on Win7 64 without any problems.
Old 13th March 2011, 18:19   #119  |  Link
Overdrive80
Anime addict

Hi guys, i have a problem when i try reg dll with pfm command but windows says: "Not recognized as internal or external command, program or file batch executables".

Any idea?
Old 13th March 2011, 23:10   #120  |  Link
joe48
AVFS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive80 View Post
Hi guys, i have a problem when i try reg dll with pfm command but windows says: "Not recognized as internal or external command, program or file batch executables".
Sounds like the PFM Audit Package is not installed.