Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 17th August 2010, 15:17   #341  |  Link
dejong12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Details, please.
PM'ed you.
Old 19th August 2010, 02:28   #342  |  Link
Snowknight26

Any chance of adding *.eac3 to the list of all supported media types when opening files? And how about setting the default window location of the muxing progress form to the center of the parent?
Old 19th August 2010, 07:55   #343  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Probably to the former, no to the latter (I'm not opposed to it, but you know, lack of time etc).

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 19th August 2010, 09:26   #344  |  Link
Tomir

4.2.0 isn't outputting ASS files for me. Using latest aegi but don't think that matters anything.
Old 19th August 2010, 09:32   #345  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomir View Post
4.2.0 isn't outputting ASS files for me. Using latest aegi but don't think that matters anything.
Quoting myself in this case:

Old 22nd August 2010, 16:51   #346  |  Link
heldchen

i understand there were some discussions already regarding the use of "und" vs "eng". my issue with this is a bit different, i think: if i specificially instruct mkvmerge to set a track language to "eng", i kinda expect it to do so - instead, the track is added as "und", and i have to change this manually to "eng" using the header editor.

while i have no problem with mkvmerge using "und" when no language is specified for a track, i do not understand its current behaviour...
Old 22nd August 2010, 16:54   #347  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by heldchen View Post
i understand there were some discussions already regarding the use of "und" vs "eng". my issue with this is a bit different, i think: if i specificially instruct mkvmerge to set a track language to "eng", i kinda expect it to do so - instead, the track is added as "und", and i have to change this manually to "eng" using the header editor.
No, that's not what happens. The program you use for playback/information simply does not support default values. Please read http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...default_values for an explanation.

Old 22nd August 2010, 17:16   #348  |  Link
heldchen

i understand that the default value (i.e. an *unset* value) should be considered english, and i'm fine with that. but i actually do set a value, which means i do not want to use a/the default value. whether the value i set is "ger", "eng", "und" or anything else shouldn't matter to mkvmerge, as i specifically instruct it to use it.

right now mkvmerge sees "eng" as the value and thinks "oh, 'eng' is set, so he probably doesn't want a value, i'll just leave it unset" which is wrong. and following this logic, the mmg header editor also would have to do the "eng" -> unset tranform, which it doesnt.
Old 22nd August 2010, 17:23   #349  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
right now mkvmerge sees "eng" as the value and thinks "oh, 'eng' is set, so he probably doesn't want a value, i'll just leave it unset" which is wrong.
No, it isn't. Semantically it's exactly the same. A player has to treat both cases as identical (element present & set to 'eng' vs. element not present at all). Due to technical reasons I will not change this behaviour (it's related to WebM files amongst other things).

Also mmg's settings are not 'enforce this' kind of settings. Neither mmg nor mkvmerge is designed that way.

Quote:
and following this logic, the mmg header editor also would have to do the "eng" -> unset tranform, which it doesnt.
No, the header editor is in fact an enforcing thingy, unlike mmg. Think of it as as editing header values directly in the file and of mmg+mkvmerge as the 'filtering' version.

Old 22nd August 2010, 17:32   #350  |  Link
heldchen

oh well. it would just need another language entry like "eng (enforced)" which wouldn't break anything, but i guess that's not going to happen so i'll just continue to set the languages with the header editor...
Old 23rd August 2010, 23:00   #351  |  Link
loekf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazil2 View Post
Yes it is. That's why many and more and more people don't understand why it's enabled by default.
There are actually more cons than pros for this useless and annoying feature.
+1

I only found out about this after I got some movies, which resulted in no audio on my mediaplayer.

I have no problems making the implementation of a standard feature complete, but make it an option, switch if off by default.
Old 24th August 2010, 07:56   #352  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

It has been switched off for the past four years. Still a lot of players/demuxers did not implement support for it. No, I'm not willing to reconsider or argue about it.

Old 24th August 2010, 10:59   #353  |  Link
Zenitram

Quote:
if i specificially instruct mkvmerge to set a track language to "eng", i kinda expect it to do so
...and mkvmerge does what you want: it sets the track language to "eng", ie it removes the track language from the file, because the specification says "no track language = eng".

Quote:
while i have no problem with mkvmerge using "und" when no language is specified for a track, i do not understand its current behaviour...
It is conform to specs: eng is the default value if there is no track language. mkvmerge is conform to specifications.
I don't like this default value (default value should be "und"! why English?), but this is not mkvmerge fault, this is Matroska fault, you should blame Matroska for this. And you should blame other developpers not conforming to specifications.

Quote:
It has been switched off for the past four years. Still a lot of players/demuxers did not implement support for it. No, I'm not willing to reconsider or argue about it.
And I am happy with this! This is a good demo for showing the flaw of my coding vs specifications! We were a lot not reading enough specifications (mainly the default values), this is a good motivation to change this.
Old 25th August 2010, 21:21   #354  |  Link
Daemon404

Sorry if this has been posted/asked already, but I noticed mkvinfo no longer outputs attachment info from files created by newer versions mkvmerge (how new im not sure). Older files (I tested one created 2.9.8) display them file in mkvinfo.
Old 25th August 2010, 21:47   #355  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

See http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...81#post1425081

Also note that mkvinfo's normal mode (without any "-v" or "--verbose") stops parsing when it encounters the first cluster. From your question I guess that what you really need is "mkvmerge --identify-verbose yourfile.mkv" instead of mkvinfo.

Old 25th August 2010, 22:26   #356  |  Link
Daemon404

Quote:
See http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...81#post1425081

Also note that mkvinfo's normal mode (without any "-v" or "--verbose") stops parsing when it encounters the first cluster. From your question I guess that what you really need is "mkvmerge --identify-verbose yourfile.mkv" instead of mkvinfo.
I've been using mvkmerge to do that for ages, but I just wondered why mkvinfo stopped displaying 'em.
Old 27th August 2010, 06:48   #357  |  Link
jasonwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by toytown View Post
It's a bug in the DivX thumbnailer creator thats installed with the DivX codecs. I checked through the registry to see what ShellEx were being used for MKV files in explorer and found it, i uninstalled the DivX package and the problem is gone, of course i dont get thumbnails but i wasnt bothered about them either.

Im sorry to have wasted your time
I reported this issue to Divx on their support page and a ticket has been opened. Let's see if a fix is forthcoming. Unfortunately, DivX is the only provider of a Mediafoundation filter for Windows 7. Without their filter, there is no way to get thumbnail support and other basic media attributes (e.g. duration, bitrate) to display in Windows Explorer.
Old 27th August 2010, 14:30   #358  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwc View Post
I reported this issue to Divx on their support page and a ticket has been opened. Let's see if a fix is forthcoming. Unfortunately, DivX is the only provider of a Mediafoundation filter for Windows 7. Without their filter, there is no way to get thumbnail support and other basic media attributes (e.g. duration, bitrate) to display in Windows Explorer.
Good luck with that. It's been an issue for years and they've never seen fit to fix it.
Old 27th August 2010, 18:54   #359  |  Link
jasonwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Good luck with that. It's been an issue for years and they've never seen fit to fix it.
Years? The problem appears to be the thumbnail generator breaking due to AVC header compression which wasn't used until MKVMerge 4.2.0. Even if it was in the spec, they had no reason to implement it before.
Old 27th August 2010, 19:04   #360  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwc View Post
Years? The problem appears to be the thumbnail generator breaking due to AVC header compression which wasn't used until MKVMerge 4.2.0. Even if it was in the spec, they had no reason to implement it before.
Not that specific problem, no. But Divx has had thumbnail problems going back a LONG LONG time. There are numerous threads all over the Net about explorer crashing when divx is installed and you look at a folder of avi's or (now) mkv's with thumbnails turned on. They've never fixed it. A few months ago in the MakeMKV forum we were discussing it and the ways to get around it. Someone reported it to them and got an awesome response back from them about it. Complete silence.