Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 13th August 2010, 07:57   #321  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

I said 'packet' and not 'packets' on purpose. For FLAC one packet is typically a lot longer than 9ms -- roughly 96ms for a typical 44.100 Hz two channel file.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 13th August 2010, 12:11   #322  |  Link
toytown

Ive recently been encoding some home movies and just finally got round to muxing them using 4.2, i noticed that as soon as i click the folder with the video files in, the OS (win7) will read the whole file MKV in and the ram will fill up completely to its max (4GB), after about 30-60seconds it will return to normal, if there are more MKV files it will do the same. During this time its impossible to move/copy/delete the file as windows has a lock on it.

The reason for the hang (i believe) is that its trying to extract the thumbnails and failing, i thought the reason could be the header compression option, however if i remux the file using 4.0 or 4.1.1 using default options then the files work perfectly.

Im using the latest haali splitter (with thumbnail extraction off) and ffdshow-tryouts, but i thought win7 had its own filters so that shouldnt matter anyway? Apologies if this is something screwy on my system and not a MKVtoolnix bug.
Old 13th August 2010, 13:08   #323  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Sounds like header removal, yes.

Old 13th August 2010, 13:33   #324  |  Link
toytown

Sorry i meant that i originally muxed the files with 4.2 using default options, so header removal would be turned on. These files lock up explorer for some time.

If i take the 4.2 muxed file drop it into 4.1.1 or 4.0 and just click mux, this file will be ok, thumbnails are generated and everything is good. As i understand this file still contains header removal as im just using defaults.

If i take a good file and drop it into 4.2 and just click mux, i get the problems again.

I believe header removal has been in since v4.00 so if this is the case then it must be something else?
Old 13th August 2010, 13:40   #325  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

4.2.0 added header removal for h264 tracks by default. 4.1.0 added header removal for various audio and video formats.

Old 13th August 2010, 13:57   #326  |  Link
toytown

It's a bug in the DivX thumbnailer creator thats installed with the DivX codecs. I checked through the registry to see what ShellEx were being used for MKV files in explorer and found it, i uninstalled the DivX package and the problem is gone, of course i dont get thumbnails but i wasnt bothered about them either.

Im sorry to have wasted your time
Old 14th August 2010, 19:29   #327  |  Link
vmrsss

Hi Mosu,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
True. I don't know why rake isn't working on Mac OS the way it is on Linux. I can only test it on Linux and Windows as I don't have (shell) access to a Mac. So you should stick with the 4.2.0 release for the time being.
Can you pls check your rakefiles, configure and options? I have noticed that even if I disable precompiled headers,

Code:
./src/common/common_pch.h.gch
is generated all the same, and the compilation breaks immediately there (because the file is included twice).

There is a problem with ./configure, but that's not the only thing, precompiled headers are still active even if I edit config.h to remove the line
Code:
#define USE_PRECOMPILED_HEADERS 1
Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 14th August 2010, 20:21   #328  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

You're right: --disable-precompiled-headers was not doing what it was supposed to do. Bug in my configure script; fixed in Git. So please 'git pull', run './autogen.sh' followed by './configure --disable-precompiled-headers'. Afterwards you should also 'rake clean' and 'rm -rf rake.d/dependency.d'. Afterwards rake should not build common_pch.h.gch anymore.

Quote:
There is a problem with ./configure, but that's not the only thing, precompiled headers are still active even if I edit config.h to remove the line
config.h does not control the build process, only the compilation. 'build-config' controls the build process.

Old 14th August 2010, 20:49   #329  |  Link
vmrsss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
You're right: --disable-precompiled-headers was not doing what it was supposed to do.
It works now, I was able to build 'No Talking'. Happy again.

Thx a lot for your work, mkvmerge is a great tool
Old 15th August 2010, 05:20   #330  |  Link
jasonwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by toytown View Post
It's a bug in the DivX thumbnailer creator thats installed with the DivX codecs. I checked through the registry to see what ShellEx were being used for MKV files in explorer and found it, i uninstalled the DivX package and the problem is gone, of course i dont get thumbnails but i wasnt bothered about them either.

Im sorry to have wasted your time
I can confirm this behavior. Any file with H.264 header compression causes the DivX Explorer filter to crash Explorer on my system as soon as the file is selected. Remuxing with 4.1.1 fixed the issue.
Old 15th August 2010, 08:09   #331  |  Link
Ritsuka

Is there any real gain in header compression (by real meaning at least 1% of the size of an original file).
Because it seems to be a quite useless and problematic thing.
Old 15th August 2010, 08:28   #332  |  Link
happ

Files (x264 video, AC3 or DTS audio) muxed with 4.2.0 cause WD Live TV to stuck. Restarting system (cut of and on power circuit) and remuxing with an earlier version of mkvtoolnix fixed the issue. I can confirm Explorer crash caused with DivX explorer filter, too.
Old 15th August 2010, 10:18   #333  |  Link
Brazil2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritsuka View Post
Is there any real gain in header compression
Almost none, it's a matter of few kBs for GBs large files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritsuka View Post
Because it seems to be a quite useless and problematic thing.
Yes it is. That's why many and more and more people don't understand why it's enabled by default.
There are actually more cons than pros for this useless and annoying feature.
Old 15th August 2010, 10:19   #334  |  Link
Brazil2

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Files (x264 video, AC3 or DTS audio) muxed with 4.2.0 cause WD Live TV to stuck. Restarting system (cut of and on power circuit) and remuxing with an earlier version of mkvtoolnix fixed the issue. I can confirm Explorer crash caused with DivX explorer filter, too.
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...al_compression
and
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=155976
Old 15th August 2010, 17:30   #335  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Why is the Playstation 3 on that list if it does not even support Matroska to begin with? If some streaming softwares can't handle it, they should be listed.
Old 15th August 2010, 17:50   #336  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Because someone mentioned it to me, and I have no clue about what the PS3 supports in the first place

Old 15th August 2010, 18:11   #337  |  Link
sneaker_ger

I also tried MPC from 2006: no problems with H.264+AC3. I think that you probably mixed it up with the "default values" issue.

/edit: newer mplayer versions also seem to work for me (at least the builds from here)

Last edited by sneaker_ger; 15th August 2010 at 18:28.
Old 17th August 2010, 05:33   #338  |  Link
jasonwc

eac3to 3.2.3 has been updated to support demuxing MKVs with header compression enabled.

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see a fix for the DivX explorer integration dll.
Old 17th August 2010, 14:52   #339  |  Link
dejong12

If I try to append subs, mkvmerge crashes with error 3. What's the problem?
Old 17th August 2010, 14:54   #340  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Details, please.

Closed Thread