Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 4th August 2010, 13:35   #3901  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps View Post
I also noticed the rendering time issue. In fullscreen windowed mode I usually have an average rendering time of 5ms with 1080p video on 1080p display resoultion.
When switching to exclusive mode it goes up to about 40ms, which is almost the movie frame intervall.
Try "flush & wait (loop)" after the backbuffer. That brings the rendering stats down quite nicely on my PC. I've no idea why it helps. And I've actually no idea if it's just cosmetical or if it really improves anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps View Post
Also the rendering and upload queue don't fill up beyond 4-5/8 in exclusive mode whereas it was always full in fullscreen windowed mode.
Yes, I've also seen this. Don't know why the queues don't fully fill up, right now.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 14:29   #3902  |  Link
Luv

Madshi,I've found this workaround (?).Is it how you acesss to fullscreen mode on your test machine with ZP? It works superbly again this way.I haven't tried to go to FS immediately,though.I start windowed and then proceed like described in the link below to go FS:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...39#post1423139
Luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 14:32   #3903  |  Link
sneaker_ger

My queues all fill up. (7-8/8 , 2-3/3)
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 14:35   #3904  |  Link
Luv

About the rendering time mentioned by fps,it's multiplied by 3 from 6 to 18 ms when in FS mode on my system (With 1080p also).So everything is fine here.
Luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 14:42   #3905  |  Link
namaiki

edit: my mistake... reclock was active, and the worst thing is I made the same mistake twice when testing and 'confirming'

Last edited by namaiki; 4th August 2010 at 14:49.
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 14:45   #3906  |  Link
fps

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Try "flush & wait (loop)" after the backbuffer. That brings the rendering stats down quite nicely on my PC. I've no idea why it helps. And I've actually no idea if it's just cosmetical or if it really improves anything.
This doesn't help on my end, unfortunately. Rendering times actually increase very very slightly .
Old 4th August 2010, 15:15   #3907  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
I've not worked on subtitles yet. That's on my to do list for a future version.
Alright, told him. I thought "callback" meant something else.
Quote:
The purpose of madHcNet.dll is a secret at this point
Ah, you're so full of mysteries! It seems that it's got to do w/ distributed calibration or so? possibly using a database running the default RBG xy coordinates of many displays?

The only reason I could think of for a VR to connect to the LAN would be to synchronize this kind of "wall of image" set ups: http://www.hellopro.fr/images/produi...es-1227669.jpg

Otherwise, maybe you plan on running your own madtube.com website? it's a mad mad mad world, that's for sure

Last edited by leeperry; 4th August 2010 at 15:39.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 15:23   #3908  |  Link
pie1394

Quote:
One step at a time, mate, one step at a time...

As I said earlier:

"FWIW, the final solution will be to let madVR handle the refresh rates, instead of using the MPC HC autochanger."
In my system, the MPC-HC auto-refresh rate changer works fine with marVR 0.25 on various video clips. For example

Desktop : 23.976 fps (1920x1080 32bpp , MSI Lightning GTX260+ , Forceware 257.21, Win7 32-bit)

[madVR settings]
Luma : Lanczos4
Chroma : Spline64
No of backbuffers: 3
After render steps: flush --> don't flush
others as default settings

[MPV-HC Video playback started in Full-screen mode]
23.976 fps (in 23.976 Hz) OK
29.97 fps (in 59.94 Hz) OK
25 fps (in 50Hz) OK
30 fps (in 60 Hz) OK
50 fps (in 50 Hz) OK --> Need to use "other" setting in MPC-HC
--> MPC-HC lacks indivudual 50 / 60 fps video clip settings

To be honest, I never get this function work with VMR9 / EVR.
madVR 0.25 is the only one that I feel "STABLE" for it.

About the madVR's Full-screen Exclusive implemention, I only can describe it in one word ... GREAT WORK!!!

Now there is no tearing issue any more on all video clips that happen to older madVR versions.

Last edited by pie1394; 4th August 2010 at 15:29.
pie1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 15:46   #3909  |  Link
nlnl

pie1394
Quote:
In my system, the MPC-HC auto-refresh rate changer works fine with marVR 0.25 on various video clips.
Did you try click right button once and again (see my post #3892 above)?
nlnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 17:10   #3910  |  Link
fastplayer

When UAC kicks in during playback, it stops and outputs the following message:
Quote:
madVR reports:
  • resetting Direct3D device failed (88760868)
  • creating Direct3D device failed
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 18:04   #3911  |  Link
buletti

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
My queues all fill up. (7-8/8 , 2-3/3)
same here.

[w7 x64, Aero off, ATI Radeon 5770, Catalyst 10.7, src: 720p24 tgt: 1920x1200/60 w/ Y: Spline64 UV: SoftCubic100]

Last edited by buletti; 4th August 2010 at 22:30.
buletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 19:28   #3912  |  Link
mark0077

Hi madshi. Thanks for the new versions. Initially running into problems with my setup. Win 7 64bit , GTX 295, Core i7 920.

1) Initially I couldn't get any video output at all, only audio. It was because I have reclock calling a vbs script to auto refresh rate in certain scenarios. Disabling this allows me to see video output so madVR can't currently handle refresh rate changes with this new fullscreen mode. Can madVR be made to react to changes of resolution / refresh rate? In this scenario I wasn't able to get out of the black screen though using ESC or ALT-Enter.... can these keys be made to bring the user out of this fullscreen mode?

2) When I right click the video in fullscreen mode, the image flickers for a second or two and I see no menu, and then sometimes either nothing happens, playback continues but now I right clicked again and video and audio output stopped for about 10 seconds.... and then continued.

Last edited by mark0077; 4th August 2010 at 19:31.
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 19:46   #3913  |  Link
Octo-puss

Quote:
What does this do? Or rather, do I need this for anything when I already set madVR as output in the options?

Btw. The progress bar I talked about earlier sometimes stays on the screen even after switching back to windowed mode. Unfortunately I cannot give any details as it seems random so far.
Octo-puss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 20:07   #3914  |  Link
mueslibrown

OK stupid question ... how do I get exclusive mode to start? I'm currently in windowed mode according to the OSD. Maybe I missed this in the thread ...

MB
mueslibrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 20:12   #3915  |  Link
mueslibrown

Found it ... nevermind ...

Spoke to fast I'm still in windowed mode according to the OSD. What am I doing wrong? D3D is not checked in the output tab in MPC-HC. In the external filters I have reclock and madVR (is this correct?). I'm on Win7 Home x64 with ATI 10.7

Last edited by mueslibrown; 4th August 2010 at 20:20.
mueslibrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 21:06   #3916  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mueslibrown View Post
OK stupid question ... how do I get exclusive mode to start? I'm currently in windowed mode according to the OSD. Maybe I missed this in the thread ...

MB
As soon as you go fullscreen in MPC-HC MadVR will switch to "fullscreen exclusive mode" automatically. Or at least it should

However note that if you right-click in fullscreen mode in order to make MPC-HC's popup menu appear, then MadVR will switch back to "fullscreen windowed mode" temporarily.

(Of course "enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode" must be checked in MadVR's option window)

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 4th August 2010 at 21:19.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 21:35   #3917  |  Link
pie1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlnl View Post
pie1394

Did you try click right button once and again (see my post #3892 above)?
I don't notice such detailed thing like you. The OSD text is too small when I watch it from 3 meters away.

Under the full-screen mode, I cannot see the sub-menu of madVR. Have to go back to regular Window mode to make it displayed. It is the same with EVR sync + D3D Exclusive mode.

The rendering time indeed becomes higher with my settings. Most of time it is equal to the refresh rate regardless the scaling mode of Lanczos3 / Lanczos4 / Spline36 / Spline64. But I don't observe any playback smothness issue yet.

Most of time I watch the FILM type contents. That is why I choose desktop refresh rate 23.976 Hz as the default. Another reason is that my Hitachi PDP's HDMI input sometimes takes longer time to be locked at 1080p24 stably when it is switched from 1080p50 or 1080p60.

About the madVR 0.25, it does still have some issues with some extra operations during the playback. I think most of them have been reported by other people. Fortunately they don't have big impact on normal playback.

My setup is always to start the video in Full-screen mode. Just have some minor issues:

1. Time Seeking bar does not appear until I click the mouse. It is ok with EVR. But it looks greater with madVR 0.25 since it is semi-transparent. If it is thicker (just like EVR mode's size), I think it will be better under HTPC + TV usage.

2. Press the [Windows] key, the MPC-HC sometimes gets hung or crashed.
pie1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 22:51   #3918  |  Link
cyberlolo

Quote:
It doesn't. Or at least it shouldn't. It doesn't for me.
You were right and I was wrong. I can see OSD in exclusive mode too. Thanks again!
cyberlolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 22:56   #3919  |  Link
iSunrise

I really have to say that I´m extremely impressed with the stable state that madVR 0.25 already is in, even though you just introduced fullscreen exclusive mode with madVR 0.24.

The idea of having the renderer autmatically switch between fullscreen windowed and fullscreen exclusive is great, I´ve never even thought that something like this could work as flawless as this. Thanks not only for your commitment for giving us madVR for free, but also for your fresh new ideas which really deserve at least one post of respect.

I did some tests in Potplayer with various media files and a lot of different refresh rates and what I can already report is this:

1) Performance is even better than before (compared to 0.23), when exclusive mode comes into play. My rendering and present times went down a lot, which means that e.g. when playing a 1080p or 2304p (4K) resolution media file, I now get rendering times like 0.05ms and present times like 0.01ms, while with windowed mode I get 0.13ms and 0.05ms, respectively. This is absolutely awesome, because that means for future madVR releases, there easily seems to be enough headroom for e.g. image manipulation or some other stuff (which needs more processing or shader power) you have planned for the future.

2) After testing media files with 23.976fps at 23.982Hz, 24fps at 24.024Hz, 25fps at 25.026Hz, 29.970fps at 29.975Hz, 30fps at 30.031Hz, 50fps at 50.051Hz and 60fps at 59.951Hz on my EIZO, I am absolutely sure I did not detect one single glitch. I even tried all of the above at 59.951Hz (60Hz, which is my standard windows refresh rate). No dropped frames, nothing. Now, when keeping in mind that performance has also improved a lot, exclusive mode really seems the way to go. I am simply speechless.

One question though:

Is it possible that the involved switch (screen goes black, comes back again) that happens when the renderer switches from fullscreen windowed to fullscreen exclusive can somehow be made a little more "less noticable"? Or is that a side-effect of the automatic switching, because you kind of need to "initialize" the exclusive mode every time and so it´s completely out of your control? This is not a major problem at all, but it takes about 0.5-1 seconds, even on my GTX260.

Other than that, I´m gonna further test 0.25 and look out for bugs, but it seems you already did your homework, again...

Specs:
(1) Geforce GTX 260-216 [Nvidia Quadro 258.49 WHQL]
(2) Windows Vista x64
(3) Aero on
(4) 1920x1200@59.951Hz (normal use)
(5) PotPlayer, KMPlayer or MPC-HC
(6) ffdshow video and audio decoder
(7) Haali Media splitter

madVR settings:
(1) Use 3DLUT
(2) Bicubic75, Spline64, Bicubic75
(3) don´t flush for everything

Last edited by iSunrise; 4th August 2010 at 23:13.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 00:19   #3920  |  Link
pankov

Quote:
Is this really v0.25? I'm asking because v0.24 had this issue and it was supposed to be fixed in v0.25. The fix was also confirmed by at least 2 people. With MPC HC, though.
Yes, in the changelog it says 0.25. Btw is there a reason not to put madVR version as a general file version?

Quote:
In what way is it inconsistent?
Points 2 and 3 in my post - the ones with ZP's popup menu and seekbar.

Quote:
Does not happen for me. Does it only happen on secondary screen or also on primary?
Since my problems with playback on the secondary monitor I've switched to single monitor usage - so I'm currently reporting problems that happen on my Primary monitor.

Quote:
Ok, will have a look at that.
Thank you very much

Quote:
That's weird. Haven't actually looked at rendering times myself yet.
I tried the advice you gave to someone else - to change to flush & wait (loop) but this didn't help.

madshi,
I really like your idea of implementing automatic exclusive mode
Thank you very much for thinking about us ZoomPlayer users.
In the devinfo.txt I noticed that you've implemented an interface for OSD text messages and I was wondering if it's possible to bring this to the next level - to have interface for drawing graphics not only text in exclusive mode? (Some kind of virtual window/Device Context that madVR will overlay over the rendered image).
This will allow with very little work from the developers of the player to have their original OSD/Media Library/Navigation ... or at least I think/hope so.
Another thought that popped into my mind is about controlling which windows should bring madVR out from exclusive mode. It will be great if you can add support for black/white listing window names/executables that should be ignored/considered when checking if madVR needs to get out of fullscreen exclusive mode.

Last edited by pankov; 5th August 2010 at 00:22.
pankov is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling