Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 2nd May 2010, 02:12   #121  |  Link
rica

OK guys,

let me give the link:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=40035
rica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 03:11   #122  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
Honestly no clue, I assume it is 59.97 Hz. I have the Panasonic 58PZ800U. It has a 23.976fps mode, but if you want this you have to manually switch to (which I never did, I heard there were flicker issues with t his model tv).
I had been eyeing the 800u series just for this feature, but at the end waited and got a Pioneer instead. I got a bit worried about the reports of 48 Hz mode flickering, but actually the movies at the theater also exhibit flicker (many projectors are also run at 48 Hz). Anyway, if you're running 60 or 59 Hz the dropped/repeated frames might be less visible, I'm not sure how 2:3 pulldown works here, but I assume if it needs to repeat a frame it would be something like 2,3,3,2,3,2,3... which would be pretty unnoticeable.
Andy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 18:22   #123  |  Link
rahzel

hey rica,

when bitstreaming through reclock, why not use directsound instead of WASAPI? Or in other words, why not use directsound WITH reclock when bitstreaming? Right now I'm trying out this config:
Bistream: Directsound
Accept Bitstream formats: Checked
Disable media speed correction with bitstream audio: Unchecked

And it seems to be working ok.

Last edited by rahzel; 7th May 2010 at 18:36.
rahzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 21:14   #124  |  Link
rica

No it gives only LPCM to me. (No sound btw)

I'm on Clarkkdale+nVidia combo. (dunno what happens with Ati?)

And as you know: (from slysoft forum)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rica View Post
My advice is clear:

Direct sound for bitstream of THD, DTS-HD (without ReClock)
or
WASAPI with ReClock (for bitexact) with slave reference clock and original speed selected.

I always prefer Haali for PCM or Flac and MPC-Gabest for bitstream.

Last edited by rica; 7th May 2010 at 21:17.
Old 8th May 2010, 00:12   #125  |  Link
rahzel

edit: nm, TrueHD doesn't work this way.

I have a Radeon 5450 with the Realtek drivers. Directsound through Reclock brings up my indicator lights. In the ReClock properties page, it says DSound (bitexact). If this way works for me, is ok to use?

I know what you prefer, and I'm leaning towards setting mine up the same way. I'm just playing around with different configs ATM. When I use WASAPI, sometimes my AVR and HTPC lose connection for the audio when I close a movie (windows sound effects don't work) so I tried DSound through ReClock and it seems to work.

Last edited by rahzel; 8th May 2010 at 01:42.
Old 8th May 2010, 22:10   #126  |  Link
rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post
edit: nm, TrueHD doesn't work this way.

I have a Radeon 5450 with the Realtek drivers. Directsound through Reclock brings up my indicator lights. In the ReClock properties page, it says DSound (bitexact). If this way works for me, is ok to use?

I know what you prefer, and I'm leaning towards setting mine up the same way. I'm just playing around with different configs ATM. When I use WASAPI, sometimes my AVR and HTPC lose connection for the audio when I close a movie (windows sound effects don't work) so I tried DSound through ReClock and it seems to work.
Two ways i'd advise for bitstream:

1) DirectSound without ReClock,
2) WaveOut with ReClock.

With original Ati drivers...

_ _ _ _

Last edited by rica; 9th May 2010 at 01:44.
Old 9th May 2010, 03:01   #127  |  Link
rahzel

Thanks, I'll give Waveout a try.

As for drivers, I still haven't experienced any problems with the Realtek drivers. When I used the ATI drivers with my XP machine (using Win 7 now) I've experienced a small delay in the sound to start. For example, when I start a movie, it would take a second or so for the audio to kick in. This small delay made windows sound effects (like the small clicks when you go back and forward etc.,) sometimes not even play. Since then, I've always preferred the Realtek ones.
Old 15th May 2010, 01:24   #128  |  Link
rahzel

After trying several different configs, on my particular setup, I think bitstreaming through ReClock with WaveOut is the best setup. With DirectSound without ReClock, I notice several dropped frames on certain movies. When bitstreaming through ReClock with media speed correction enabled, I noticed some dropped audio frames (again, only with certain movies). With Bitstreaming through ReClock with media speed correction disabled, I don't notice nearly as many dropped and I have yet to notice a dropped audio frame.

As for FLAC, right now I have it setup for bit-exact streaming. Until I notice dropped video frames, I'm going to keep it this way for now.
Old 15th May 2010, 01:58   #129  |  Link
rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post
After trying several different configs, on my particular setup, I think bitstreaming through ReClock with WaveOut is the best setup. With DirectSound without ReClock, I notice several dropped frames on certain movies. When bitstreaming through ReClock with media speed correction enabled, I noticed some dropped audio frames (again, only with certain movies). With Bitstreaming through ReClock with media speed correction disabled, I don't notice nearly as many dropped and I have yet to notice a dropped audio frame.

As for FLAC, right now I have it setup for bit-exact streaming. Until I notice dropped video frames, I'm going to keep it this way for now.
Thx for the feedback.
And pls give us screencaps of your bitstream and pcm/flac configs.
Cheers.

Last edited by rica; 15th May 2010 at 02:31.
Old 30th May 2010, 13:40   #130  |  Link
rica

Hi,

Here is the latest build of Solveig MM mkv Splitter; you may prefer this for mkv files:
PCM (with Waveout)
THD
DTSHD-MA
works very well and no seeking issues.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...36#post1403736

Unselect mkv under "internal filters" in MPC-HC and select and prefer Solveig under "external filters".

Here is my latest ReClock config:

Old 31st May 2010, 04:44   #131  |  Link
oddball

Is there no other way to get proper 24P playback without dropping bitstream frames or reencoding them? I don't get how Blu-ray playback can have smooth 24P and not have to reencode the bitstream audio whilst playing back the same thing from a computer involves reencoding the bitstream audio or dropping frames (Or having to use multi-channel FLAC to avoid the lossy issue).
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 06:04   #132  |  Link
ManiacDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
Is there no other way to get proper 24P playback without dropping bitstream frames or reencoding them? I don't get how Blu-ray playback can have smooth 24P and not have to reencode the bitstream audio whilst playing back the same thing from a computer involves reencoding the bitstream audio or dropping frames (Or having to use multi-channel FLAC to avoid the lossy issue).
Maybe I just don't understand how bitstreaming works, but what the heck does the framerate have to do with the audio stream? Audio isn't processed in "frames".

Oh wait, are you asking how you can output 24 fps video smoothly to a 60 Hz display when using bitstream audio? Blu-Ray players don't do this, they output at 24 Hz - many HDTV's accept 24 Hz input signals. Then there is no need for smoothing.

My computer/TV supports this too, I just can't be bothered to switch it between 60 and 24/48 Hz refresh rate, so I just leave it at 60 as I play a lot of games.

Last edited by ManiacDC; 31st May 2010 at 06:09.
ManiacDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 06:39   #133  |  Link
oddball

Well if I play DTS or AC3 with ReClock loaded I get dropped frames according to ReClock but then I also get glitches in audio playback (Because ReClock is correcting the media playback I guess). I can hear those dropped frames.

Without ReClock I get glitchy video. ReClock gives me smooth 24P playback so is essential for that to work on my setup. The only option I have found to avoid glitchy audio as well is to allow ffdshow to decode DTS and AC3 to multi-channel PCM audio then let ReClock correct and reencode it to AC3 output to my reciever.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 15:36   #134  |  Link
ManiacDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
Well if I play DTS or AC3 with ReClock loaded I get dropped frames according to ReClock but then I also get glitches in audio playback (Because ReClock is correcting the media playback I guess). I can hear those dropped frames.

Without ReClock I get glitchy video. ReClock gives me smooth 24P playback so is essential for that to work on my setup. The only option I have found to avoid glitchy audio as well is to allow ffdshow to decode DTS and AC3 to multi-channel PCM audio then let ReClock correct and reencode it to AC3 output to my reciever.
Yes, reclock changes the speed of the video, and therefore has to change the speed of the audio. You can't bitstream when you are changing the speed of the audio. As you have discovered, you would be better off decoding the AC3/DTS through software, then reclock can change the speed of the audio.

That's why in Rica's first post he has reclock setup to sync to the audio speed - however, in this mode you are not getting smooth video playback.

Why don't you just change your refresh rate on your video output to 48 or 24 hz? You'd probably save yourself some pain.
Old 6th August 2010, 17:58   #135  |  Link
lostclusters

Quote:
Originally Posted by rica View Post

No need to use Reclock (even author James doesn't advise it) for bitstreaming if you don't have to.
For instance if you have Clarkdale but you don't have MEI installed, ReClock bitstreaming is an obligation with ArcSoft TMT3/170.

Addiıonal info might be found here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post18367260

So if I have a successfully installed MEI driver, Reclock is not needed to pass untouched audio to my AVR. If I am following this guide do I omit all Reclock steps? And will I still get what is mentioned in the beginning of this guide:

So the aim is to get LPCM passthrough and to get bitstreaming for the other lossy, lossless SD and HD audio formats over ffdshow.

"After the configuration you will get:

LPCM,
Flac, THD,
DTSHD-MA,
DD+ (haven't checked yet so not sure for now)
DTSHD-HR,
DD,
DTS"

Last edited by lostclusters; 6th August 2010 at 23:30.
lostclusters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 02:40   #136  |  Link
rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostclusters View Post
So if I have a successfully installed MEI driver, Reclock is not needed to pass untouched audio to my AVR. If I am following this guide do I omit all Reclock steps? And will I still get what is mentioned in the beginning of this guide:

So the aim is to get LPCM passthrough and to get bitstreaming for the other lossy, lossless SD and HD audio formats over ffdshow.

"After the configuration you will get:

LPCM,
Flac, THD,
DTSHD-MA,
DD+ (haven't checked yet so not sure for now)
DTSHD-HR,
DD,
DTS"
Quote:
[So the aim is to get LPCM passthrough and to get bitstreaming for the other lossy, lossless SD and HD audio formats over ffdshow.
I suppose it's clear.

You may use ReClock in LPCM bitperfect streaming or not.(if you don't need bitperfect streaming, you don't need ReClock)

You don't need ReClock for bitstreaming as well.

And this thread has been designed for ffdshow using under MPC-HC gui. Not for the commercial players. (but i will add additional info for them later btw.)

BTW, MEI is only needed for TMT and PDVD on Clarkdale. Corel WDVD or MPC-HC doesn't need MEI at all.
_ _ _

Last edited by rica; 7th August 2010 at 02:52.
Old 7th August 2010, 05:39   #137  |  Link
lostclusters

From the beginning of the guide:
"FOR VISTA USERS: Install and register MPC-Audio Renderer. MPC-HC is gonna use this renderer on bitstreaming. All the setup is the same as 7 btw."

If I am setting up under W7 does this statement apply?

Last edited by lostclusters; 7th August 2010 at 06:32.
Old 8th August 2010, 03:08   #138  |  Link
rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostclusters View Post
From the beginning of the guide:
"FOR VISTA USERS: Install and register MPC-Audio Renderer. MPC-HC is gonna use this renderer on bitstreaming. All the setup is the same as 7 btw."

If I am setting up under W7 does this statement apply?
Yes, not with MPC-HC but with GraphStudio:

_ _ _ _ _
Old 8th August 2010, 05:55   #139  |  Link
ManiacDC

ffdshow Audio Decoder won't connect to MPC - Audio Renderer in graphstudio on my PC in Windows 7 when trying to play a DTS-HD MA file. I couldn't get it to work in MPC HC (ffdshow never came up), so I tried to see if I could manually set it up in graphstudio... sure enough I can't drag the out pin on ffdshow to the in pin on MPC. No idea why.
Old 8th August 2010, 08:39   #140  |  Link
lostclusters

What do I need to register (regsvr32), under w7, to get the right graphs to post for troubleshooting.