Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 4th May 2010, 16:29   #2461  |  Link
iSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
I think it's due to the subs pin...KMP uses it for its own subs engine(far more refined and user configurable that anything else) and for its OSD/media infos.
Ah, now that explains it! Thanks leeperry.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 18:49   #2462  |  Link
Steveo08

@madshi

sounds great!
Steveo08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 18:53   #2463  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Won't help. Already tried on my old ATI laptop which also doesn't support power of 2 textures. I need to change code to make this work.
I see. for the reply.
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 20:37   #2464  |  Link
JarrettH

I read the ReadMe for 3dlut a bit...so this should be used? It's a benefit for lower cpu usage and picture quality correct? Do I need a large amount of GPU memory? Does it erase and recreate this offline data for every video watched?
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 20:38   #2465  |  Link
Razoola

I have had problems getting madVR working with the latest nvidia graphics drivers and I can confirm v012 still has the same problem on my system as previous madvr version.

win7 ultimate x64
197.45 nvidia drivers
gtx295 and gt240 in system (making three gpus in system)

Problem I see is player freeze trying to play video.

To get 012 working I have to go back to nvidia drivers 191.07 which was the same situation as v011 of madVR.

Just to add Im using x86 build of MPC-HC

I have just seen you have supplied a debug build, here is a log of your 2nd build on my pc to see if its the same issue as Steveo08 (I have different gpu's). http://unibios.free.fr/log.rar

Last edited by Razoola; 4th May 2010 at 21:05.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 22:55   #2466  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Well I've noticed a problem new to madVR 0.12.

At random, after ~5-10 minutes, madVR suddenly begins dropping a couple frames every few seconds. Yet if I reopen the video or seek, I can usually get through the entire video without any dropped frames. Nothing unusual is happening with the render and present times, and the decode/backbuffer/render queues are remaining full when it drops frames.

On that note, the CTRL+J statistics must be leaving out some important statistic which could cause frames to drop independently of those which are already shown.

In any case, it appears there is something wrong with the 0.12 VSync code, which is occasionally causing it to lose VSync after a period of time and never fully recover. I never had that problem with 0.11.
My refresh rate is 96.0005 Hz and I use MPC-HC + Reclock on WinXP x86 with a 7800GTX 512.
That's bad news, because such kind of problems are hard to find. Are you using Aero?

Is it possible that your GPU is running on max all the time? v0.12 seems to be slightly more GPU hungry compared to v0.11. Could that explain the problem? (Not the missing information in the OSD, though.) Or is there plenty of power left in your GPU?
No Aero on Windows XP. If it matters madVR (0.11 & 0.12) usually reports my display refresh fluctuating between 96.00050 - 96.00060 Hz.

I wouldn't say plenty of spare GPU, but there is enough.

madVR 0.12
GPU Render + Present times = 32ms
Frame Interval (24fps) = 41.71ms
GPU-Z: 35% GPU Load

madVR 0.11
GPU-Z: 45% GPU Load

Each frame is ready to display 10ms before a frame is needed. Oddly enough, GPU-Z is reporting 10% less GPU usage in 0.12.

I'll stress that the problem is somewhat random. Sometimes I can get through a video without any dropped frames. Other times, after 5-10 minutes it starts dropping 1-3 frames every 15 seconds or so. That 5-10 minutes number is important because there are no dropped frames until 5-10 minutes have passed, if the issue even occurs.

Quote:
The v0.12 dropping logic works slightly differently to v0.11. The concept of "delayed frames" doesn't exist in v0.12.
Could this have something to do with it? So instead of delaying frames to get back in sync, it instead just drops frames in a failed attempt to get back in sync???

Would you like me to try the capture the problem in a debug log or does it not log any information which would be helpful?
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 23:00   #2467  |  Link
flanger216

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
Just clarifying, but were you one of the people who was experiencing issues before?
Yeah, madVR would crash on load. Now it works perfectly, even @ 24hz.
flanger216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 23:05   #2468  |  Link
Mark_A_W
3 eyed CRT supporter

Quote:
No Aero on Windows XP. If it matters madVR (0.11 & 0.12) usually reports my display refresh fluctuating between 96.00050 - 96.00060 Hz.
cyberbeing, can you try 95.904hz?

Your refresh rate is actually wrong.

(If you use Reclock 96.000 is close enough, but without it you will get dropped/repeated frames).
Mark_A_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 00:51   #2469  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W View Post
cyberbeing, can you try 95.904hz?

Your refresh rate is actually wrong.

(If you use Reclock 96.000 is close enough, but without it you will get dropped/repeated frames).
When using Reclock it isn't really 'wrong', just sub-optimal (i.e. why change the frame rate if you don't have to). Since I always use Reclock, 96.000 Hz shouldn't be an issue since it just sets the fps to a multiple of your refresh rate (96.000/4 = 24.000). Unless the problem is that madVR doesn't display 24.000 fps when Reclock tells it to (which madshi would need to fix), there shouldn't be any problem.

Feature Request: Have the CTRL+J stats show achieved FPS.

The real reason why I use 96.000 Hz is for simplicities sake, since with a bit of fiddling I was able to get the NVIDIA control panel to set it as a custom resolution. I've had no such luck getting the NVIDIA control panel to set a custom resolution with exactly 95.904 Hz refresh, so I would be forced to use Powerstrip.

In any case I'll try 95.904 Hz with Powerstrip (fluctuates around 95.90415 Hz) and see if the problem still happens.

On that note, madshi, have you added any VSync code in madVR 0.12 for non-fps-multiple refresh rates yet? I remember you saying a long time ago it was on your to-do list.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 5th May 2010 at 01:39.
Old 5th May 2010, 00:59   #2470  |  Link
Mark_A_W
3 eyed CRT supporter

Sorry, I was a bit unclear.

96.000hz + Reclock = all good (sub optimal perhaps...perhaps super optimal = you are back to the film rate).

96.000hz no Reclock = potential issue with repeated frames.

Not sure you'll have much luck with Powerstrip and an Nvidia card (or a 5 series ATi...grrr).
Old 5th May 2010, 01:04   #2471  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
On that note, madshi, have you added any VSync code in madVR 0.12 for non-fps-multiple refresh rates yet? I remember you saying a long time ago it was on your to-do list.
I have to admit that "non-fps-multiple refresh rates" look amazingly smooth in the latest build...I often find myself checking the actual refresh rate in Reclock(that doesn't do any "adaptation" due to the rates mismatch)

Last edited by leeperry; 5th May 2010 at 01:33.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 01:20   #2472  |  Link
Mark_A_W
3 eyed CRT supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
I have to admit that "non-fps-multiple refresh rates" look amazingly smooth in the latest build...I often find myself checking the actual refresh rate in Reclock

With or without Reclock Mr Scratch?

On my system, Reclock causes chaos unless the refresh rate is a multiple of the source fps.
Old 5th May 2010, 02:54   #2473  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Bad news, the problem still happens with Reclock + 95.90415 Hz refresh rate. The dropped frames are more infrequent though (1-3 ever couple minutes again beginning after ~10 minutes). I never had issues with dropped frames in madVR 0.11.

madshi, how were you determining that 0.12 was slower? If something is slower, it's not being displayed by the CTRL+J statistics on my machine. Maybe the "slowness" is caused by madVR constantly waiting on something, which would explain the 10% less GPU utilization in 0.12? If the GPU isn't given enough work, GPU utilization would obviously be lower.

To help troubleshot the issue, could you compile a madVR 0.11 build with more detailed stats like 0.12? What about a madVR 0.12 debug build which outputs to log some extremely detailed execution statistics for every portion of the code which other parts of the code would be forced to wait on until finished?

Last edited by cyberbeing; 5th May 2010 at 02:59.
Old 5th May 2010, 04:01   #2474  |  Link
ajp_anton

I remember you saying MadVR + DXVA is not (and will not be) possible. Is this still true?
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 04:30   #2475  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
Well I've noticed a problem new to madVR 0.12.

At random, after ~5-10 minutes, madVR suddenly begins dropping a couple frames every few seconds. Yet if I reopen the video or seek, I can usually get through the entire video without any dropped frames. Nothing unusual is happening with the render and present times, and the decode/backbuffer/render queues are remaining full when it drops frames.

On that note, the CTRL+J statistics must be leaving out some important statistic which could cause frames to drop independently of those which are already shown.

In any case, it appears there is something wrong with the 0.12 VSync code, which is occasionally causing it to lose VSync after a period of time and never fully recover. I never had that problem with 0.11. My refresh rate is 96.0005 Hz and I use MPC-HC + Reclock on WinXP x86 with a 7800GTX 512.
I used to have a problem like this (long ago). The cause turned out to be the OS starting its file indexing service (or other type service) as it though the PC was not in use. Try watching something again but every few minutes give the mouse a wiggle and see if the issue stops. If it does you can then look into what your OS is starting to do.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 04:54   #2476  |  Link
JarrettH

Is there something I need to change in the output of ffdshow when I use 3dlut? My experience so far is that it makes my video stutter or lag. When I leave it off it's fine.
Old 5th May 2010, 04:56   #2477  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
Is there something I need to change in the output of ffdshow when I use 3dlut? My experience so far is that it makes my video stutter or lag. When I leave it off it's fine.
What's your video card? Maybe it's not fast enough to process 3dlut.
Old 5th May 2010, 05:04   #2478  |  Link
Mark_A_W
3 eyed CRT supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post

Same here.

I assume it's because my 2600XT is not up to the task.
Old 5th May 2010, 06:21   #2479  |  Link
JarrettH

A 7600GT 256mb, 196.21 drivers

Perhaps
Old 5th May 2010, 06:27   #2480  |  Link
namaiki

ooh I forgot. you can check GPU usage/load with the latest GPU-z. check it.

Also, make sure that you're not running out of video ram.
ie. I can't run madvr and coreavc with cuda acceleraton at the same time, or vram is at 230MB and there is immense lag. but if I make the media player window smaller or disable cuda, acceleration vram goes down to ~170 and playback is smooth.

Last edited by namaiki; 5th May 2010 at 06:35.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling