Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 4th May 2010, 02:50   #2441  |  Link
Mark_A_W
3 eyed CRT supporter

No problems for me so far with v0.12.

- Ati 2600XT (yes, old)
- Vista32
- No 3D lut (stutters due to lack of grunt if I try the 3D lut)
- Reclock 1.8.6.7
- Zoomplayer

Playback at 96hz interlaced is fine. Will check for super smoothness (like v0.11 gives) tonight.
Mark_A_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 10:09   #2442  |  Link
Mark_A_W
3 eyed CRT supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I'm glad to hear that. Honestly, I was fearing that due to the rewrite there would be a lot of new problems, which v0.11 didn't suffer from. Seems I was wrong about that, which is great.

I'm sorry madshi, I was wrong.

I also have the CPU Pause bug. When I pause one of my cores sits at 90%.

(What happened to the delayed frames OSD line? Not needed?)

Also, a little request: A shortcut to reset the dropped frames number to 0.

Perhaps CTRL+J again? While it is already displayed.

I lose track of the dropped frames number when I'm testing for smoothness. It goes up a few when I seek....then I get lost...was that 23 originally? Or 24?

Or perhaps it should reset after a seek (then wait a second before starting the count).

Playback seems smooth so far (watching reclock tearing test and dropped frames number). Will keep testing. Sometimes it seems the reclock line goes faster or slower, but the video behind the line can give that impression. No coarse jumps so far.

Seeking is fine. And no crashes so far.

Cheers

Mark
Mark_A_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 10:10   #2443  |  Link
makakam

Actually the only problem I've got is the one concerning subs I've mentioned above but You said You got that covered so I'm happy about it. Oh I've noticed that HD movies are much much smoother now comparing to 0.11. Is it only me? Keep up the great work. Thanks
makakam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 10:19   #2444  |  Link
Mike5

Tested on a DVD from disc. It still gives DVD: Macrovision Fail.

Quote:
Which exact OS are you on?
Windows 7 32 bit with a nVidia GeForce 6600GT. MPC-HC 1779 with internal filters and DVD Navigator.

Quote:
Does the problem only occur with madVR? Does it work with all other renderers?
Only with MadVR. It works fine with EVR, VMR9 and VMR7, any flavour.
Mike5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 10:27   #2445  |  Link
cyberlolo

Quote:
IMHO you should calibrate your display in the way you want and let madVR do its normal job. When you use TV levels in madVR, all the information is there and it's the job of your display (respectively your calibration) to make the display cut BTB and display WTW. IIRC, your display can't be calibrated properly? madVR will get brightness and contrast settings sooner or later. You will be able to use these for your needs. I don't really plan on adding another "levels" option, though, because as explained above, I don't think it's generally the right approach, and I think only very very few people would need that, because most will be able to calibrate their display properly.
Thanks for your answer, madshi.

But then, I don't understand why you have included the PC Levels option. My point is that option is decreasing PQ, as you're cutting WTW with it, and as you know there's a lot of WTW info in every video using RGB, which will be lost with PC Levels option. So, IMHO, it would be better if the two options are as follows:

- TV Levels: Umolested video, and let the display to cut BTB. This is ok.
- PC Levels: The renderer cuts BTB, but preserving WTW all the way up to 254. Because as I said, actually it's cutting WTW too, and that means losing valuable info and lowering PQ.

If not, I don't see the benefits of using PC Levels...

Edit: By the way, I don't have the CPU high load bug when pausing the video.

Last edited by cyberlolo; 4th May 2010 at 10:29.
cyberlolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 10:44   #2446  |  Link
Peuj

Quote:

Thanks, but the log file is very short. It stops after about 350ms of playback. Did you let the media player sit frozen for a couple of seconds?
Yes I've wait before to kill MPC.
And this problem doesn't happen with KMP.

I'll try tonight with your new test version.

Thanks
Peuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 10:47   #2447  |  Link
yesgrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlolo View Post
there's a lot of WTW info in every video using RGB, which will be lost with PC Levels option.
Read this thread, it might surprise you...
yesgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 11:06   #2448  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Well I've noticed a problem new to madVR 0.12.

At random, after ~5-10 minutes, madVR suddenly begins dropping a couple frames every few seconds. Yet if I reopen the video or seek, I can usually get through the entire video without any dropped frames. Nothing unusual is happening with the render and present times, and the decode/backbuffer/render queues are remaining full when it drops frames.

On that note, the CTRL+J statistics must be leaving out some important statistic which could cause frames to drop independently of those which are already shown.

In any case, it appears there is something wrong with the 0.12 VSync code, which is occasionally causing it to lose VSync after a period of time and never fully recover. I never had that problem with 0.11. My refresh rate is 96.0005 Hz and I use MPC-HC + Reclock on WinXP x86 with a 7800GTX 512.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 11:29   #2449  |  Link
cyberlolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesgrey View Post
Read this thread, it might surprise you...
I don't get your point, yesgrey. In that thread, they say exactly what I say: we're converting to RGB, and in that conversion, we'll be having a lot of values exceeding 235, which will be lost if we can't see WTW. We had this same discussion in this post http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...postcount=2261, and you decided to put it on hold until you had your new version of cr3dlut... (by the way, how does it go?)

In that time, you told me that you have your output at 16-245 to be safe. Are you still thinking the same way?

Last edited by cyberlolo; 4th May 2010 at 11:45.
Old 4th May 2010, 11:45   #2450  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Well I've noticed a problem new to madVR 0.12..
Do you have Reclock vsync correction for madvr/'all other renderers' enabled or disabled?

Try flip that setting to the opposite of what is currently set.
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 12:48   #2451  |  Link
yesgrey

Quote:
In that time, you told me that you have your output at 16-245 to be safe. Are you still thinking the same way?
Ye, but only because my projector gamma curve is very bad near the top. I'll continue to set it like that to avoid the bad portion of my gamma curve, and not because there is significant data above 235...

About cr3dlut, there should be news within this week...
Old 4th May 2010, 12:53   #2452  |  Link
cyberlolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesgrey View Post
Ye, but only because my projector gamma curve is very bad near the top. I'll continue to set it like that to avoid the bad portion of my gamma curve, and not because there is significant data above 235...

About cr3dlut, there should be news within this week...
Ok, so your advice now is to set output at 16-235 (in case we don't have your gamma curve problem) instead of 16-254?

Thanks about your c3dlut news. We'll be waiting.
Old 4th May 2010, 13:09   #2453  |  Link
yesgrey

Quote:
Ok, so your advice now is to set output at 16-235 (in case we don't have your gamma curve problem) instead of 16-254?
For Blu-ray and DVD yes, it might be preferable when using a display without big flaws in the gamma curve. Another option would be giving a slight margin, like 16-237, just to be safe.
But let's follow the discussion in the thread I've pointed you to.
Old 4th May 2010, 13:16   #2454  |  Link
SacredCultivator

@madshi: Woops I meant similar to cyberbeing >< about the animorphic source not being displayed right for XviD.

I've sent you a PM of a sample.
SacredCultivator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 14:13   #2455  |  Link
iSunrise

Quick feedback re: madVR 0.12

1) High CPU load on pause on one core when switching to full-screen after pausing (and back) (i7 920). For this to happen (I can replicate this every time) I either start playing the file in windowed-mode and pausing, then going into fullscreen, or by playing the file in fullscreen, pausing and then going to windowed-mode. This will not happen, if you just stay either at window-mode or fullscreen and pause/unpause the movie.

2) DVD: Macrovision Fail is still there, like with Haali. Iīm on Vista x64 and this will show up everytime the MS DVD Navigator (system default) is invoked. All system renderers, like e.x. EVR work fine. madVR works perfectly, however, if you just select the VOBs by hand (Open file... instead of Open DVD...).

3) Very good news, however, is that I did not have any crashes happen when skipping while playing a movie, like with 0.11. I also didnīt have a crash happening when I just wanted to close the player itself after playing a file, this happened very rarely, but I find it important enough to mention it.

@leeperry (KMP user) and madshi
What I find a bit annoying is that when using madVR with KMP, I canīt get any OSD information from KMP to display. That probably has something to do with an interference from madVRīs own OSD, which works perfectly when hitting CTRL+J. If Iīm using EVR or Haali, KMPīs OSD works as it should (and Haali also has his own OSD which works in combo with KMPīs). So there must be a fundamental difference about how madVR draws itīs OSD, when you compare it to Haaliīs method. Is it possible to change this?
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 14:19   #2456  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by isunrise View Post
i can replicate this every time by playing the file in fullscreen, pausing and then going to windowed-mode
oh brilliant! You caught it!
Old 4th May 2010, 15:23   #2457  |  Link
pie1394

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grmpf
I still got the tearing problem with 23.976/24.000hz (50.000/59.940hz are fine).

I'll turn Aero off and check whether I can reproduce the tearing here.
Actually I also have the same result under Windows 7. It only works fine when the refresh rate is changed to 60 Hz. With EVR Sync renderer, it works fine at 24 Hz under Win7.

After some tests, it shows ver 0.12 has improved a lot about the seeking problem on ver 0.10 ~ 0.11. Has verified it under WinXP x64 and Win7. It just takes a little bit longer time to make the seeking responsed. With ver0.9, it is almost no delay on most video seeking just like other video renderers.

Do you consider adding the following features now?
1. NV12 + DXVA support
2. OSD pin

The reasons come from my recent experience under Win7. Have tried the Win7 platform for several months, and I have found nVidia's PureVideo MPEG2 / H.264 DXVA acceleration in MS DTV Video decoder, MPC-HC H.264 DXVA decoder + MPC-HC EVR Sync mode perform quite well on various HD contents.

It is the only platform that I can have the same or better experience of Pure Video MPEG2 decoder quality under WinXP. nVidia GTX260+ Pixel Adaptive Deinterlacer + frame rate doubler / post-processings are very good in handling interlaced DVD / HDTV contents.
pie1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 15:33   #2458  |  Link
Steveo08

@madshi

ok here is the second log file and this time i zipped it :-)

http://rapidshare.com/files/383448980/log2.zip.html

Last edited by Steveo08; 4th May 2010 at 16:57.
Steveo08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 15:47   #2459  |  Link
namaiki

madshi: could you please make a test build of madvr without the power of 2 textures check? doesn't matter if it crashes, but I'd simply love to try run MadVR on my Intel GPU.
Old 4th May 2010, 15:55   #2460  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSunrise View Post
@leeperry (KMP user) and madshi
What I find a bit annoying is that when using madVR with KMP, I canīt get any OSD information from KMP to display.
I think it's due to the subs pin...KMP uses it for its own subs engine(far more refined and user configurable that anything else) and for its OSD/media infos.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling