Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 10th January 2010, 20:40   #1021  |  Link
jeanl

Well, if DVDSE shows them white, then I'm not sure what r0lZ's suggestion will do? The IFO CLUT shows them white, so why isn't the player showing them white? Puzzling. In DVDSE, they're shown white when the IFO CLUT is used right? (as is visible from the screenshots you showed). If by mistake you were using another CLUT, then that could explain it (for example, the auto clut). But that does not seem to be the case... If you cut a small snippet (with josoto's cutfile which you'll find in the vobblanker's home page) with a few subpics, then send that along with the IFO, I'll be able to reproduce the problem (perhaps). jeanldvd at free dot fr.
Another thing to try is to open the file in other player (mediaplayerclassic for example) and see if the problem exists.
Jeanl
Old 18th January 2010, 12:55   #1022  |  Link
bigboy7

Hi.
Do this software also remove hardsubs. I have tried but i can not get it to open the files with hardsubs on. Can anybody help
bigboy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2010, 12:58   #1023  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

No! Hardsubs are extremely difficult to remove. (In fact, you can't, but sometimes you can somewhat blur them.)
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 23:06   #1024  |  Link
fulham

Hi,
I have a few curiosities.
Is it possible to use your software to extract subtitle from video_ts folder (with or without timecodes)?
If not is it possible to add this feature you think?
Sometimes I need to extract subtitles from dvds to write in the text form for people to read educational material.
Also, is it possible to add a back bar (background colour) on a plain text subtitle by using dvdse to make the text easy to read?
For example some dvd authoring softwares don't give you an option to automatically apply (but allows to do it manually) the back bar or back drop colour, and if one has several hundred subtitles, it becomes a tedious job to do them all manually.
It would be nice if dvdse allows to add one and then "apply to all". I understand it allows to change the colour and transparency of the back bar.
Another strongly desirable feature would be if it could allow to correct the subtitle text or at least allow to correct one or two typos.
I am sorry, may be I am being too demanding but I thought these things may not be too difficult for people like you to add easily or only with a little bit of effort.
Just think about it.
Thanks,
fulham

Last edited by fulham; 31st January 2010 at 23:10.
fulham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2010, 23:35   #1025  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

You can already do all these things, with some limitations.

You can convert the subtitles to text with the OCR, and save them to disc. You have to process each domain and each subpic stream one at a time.

You can often (but not always) add a black rectangular background around the subpics. But this is a bit tricky. You have to edit the DVDSubEdit.ini file (located in your %appdata% folder) and change the values of the CropBackgroundBorderX and CropBackgroundBorderY options. They specify the width and height of the border around the subpics, in pixels. I use 20 and 8. Then, launch DVDSubEdit, click "Crop subpic background" and change the background colour and opacity. Apply to all and save.
Note that if the background is already cropped, you cannot enlarge it, but most of the time, the background covers the whole image.

You can fix typo errors by using the OCR feature and editing the wrong subpics. But you can only remove characters. It is not possible to type something else. (This is because DVDSubEdit is not a subpic generator. It can only change some aspects of the subpics, in place.)
If you really want to change completely a specific subpic, you can save it as a BMP, edit it in any paint program, and re-import it.
Old 31st January 2010, 23:48   #1026  |  Link
fulham

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
You can already do all these things, with some limitations.

You can convert the subtitles to text with the OCR, and save them to disc. You have to process each domain and each subpic stream one at a time.

You can often (but not always) add a black rectangular background around the subpics. But this is a bit tricky. You have to edit the DVDSubEdit.ini file (located in your %appdata% folder) and change the values of the CropBackgroundBorderX and CropBackgroundBorderY options. They specify the width and height of the border around the subpics, in pixels. I use 20 and 8. Then, launch DVDSubEdit, click "Crop subpic background" and change the background colour and opacity. Apply to all and save.
Note that if the background is already cropped, you cannot enlarge it, but most of the time, the background covers the whole image.

You can fix typo errors by using the OCR feature and editing the wrong subpics. But you can only remove characters. It is not possible to type something else. (This is because DVDSubEdit is not a subpic generator. It can only change some aspects of the subpics, in place.)
If you really want to change completely a specific subpic, you can save it as a BMP, edit it in any paint program, and re-import it.
Thanks for the quick response.
About the saving of the text, I knew about using ocr and then 'copy & paste' each subtitle's content on say word or something similar.
Am I right in saying that one cannot simply export the text from the entire bunch of subtitles together, right?
About the 'cropping' the back bar, are you talking about 'generating' a back bar against a plain text subtitle with no back ground and margin, right?
I will appreciate a clarification as I am not a computer person.
Thanks
Old 1st February 2010, 00:14   #1027  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulham View Post
Am I right in saying that one cannot simply export the text from the entire bunch of subtitles together, right?
No, just click "save as .srt" to save all subpics in SRT format. (This is the text format used by many AVI/MPEG software players. You can easily edit it with a good text editor if you want to remove the time codes and keep only the text.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulham View Post
About the 'cropping' the back bar, are you talking about 'generating' a back bar against a plain text subtitle with no back ground and margin, right?
The subpics are 4 colours images. Usually, the subtitle is white, and has a black outline. Often, a third colour (grey) is used to do some kind of antialiasing. The last colour is (almost) always completely transparent. It's that transparent colour that I call "the background". It covers usually the whole picture, but you cannot see it, as it is transparent. You can crop it with the method I have explained, to keep only a rectangle around the subpic. (The dimension of the rectangle is relative to the size of the subpic, but can be adjusted with the two options in DVDSubEdit.ini.) When the background has been cropped, you can change its opacity to use it as a "subpic highlighter", as it will cover partially the image beneath the subpic. I have used that method to hide the hardcoded subtitles with a subpic stream, or to make subtitles appearing on the credits more lisible. The method is easy. Try it, and you will immediately see if it suits your needs.

It is not possible to generate a real black outline around subpics that have no outline by default, as this would require to regenerate completely the subpic.

Last edited by r0lZ; 1st February 2010 at 00:16.
Old 1st February 2010, 00:35   #1028  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

This is an example (using 20 and 8 for the crop values)

The subtitle has a standard black outline, and I have added the rectangular translucent area.

Of course, if you set the CropX value to, say, 360, the entire width of the image will be covered.

Last edited by r0lZ; 1st February 2010 at 00:38.
Old 1st February 2010, 02:04   #1029  |  Link
jeanl

I think r0lZ answered all your questions very nicely! One detail: the option to adjust the crop x and y values are in the preferences (so you don't have to edit the .ini file).
Jeanl
Old 1st February 2010, 02:09   #1030  |  Link
fulham

Quote:

The subtitle has a standard black outline, and I have added the rectangular translucent area.

Of course, if you set the CropX value to, say, 360, the entire width of the image will be covered.
Thank you very much - that's very clear explanation.
I will give it a go tonight.
One final question - setting the x and y crop values to the one you have suggested, would the size of the subtitle (1 line vs 4 lines for example) make any difference?
Thanks.

Last edited by fulham; 1st February 2010 at 02:13.
Old 1st February 2010, 02:38   #1031  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Yes. The values of the X option is the number of pixels added to the left of the leftmost pixel and to the right of the rightmost pixel of the subpic. In my example, the rectangle begins at 20 pixels to the left of the black outline of the letter "L", and ends at 20 pixels to the right of the dot. Similarly, the border begins and ends at 8 pixels above and below the subtitle, because I have specified 8 for the BorderY option. Of course, if the subpic has only one line of text, the overall height of the rectangle is less than for 2 or 3 lines. As I have explained above, you can force the border to occupy the whole width of the image by specifying a large number for X, but it doesn't make sense to do it for Y, as you don't want to cover the whole image with a translucent rectangle! Also, the background disappears when no subtitle is displayed. (Take care: in some DVDs, there are some empty subtitles. The border will be displayed, even if the subpic is empty. Use the "hide subpic" button to hide them.)
Old 1st February 2010, 03:00   #1032  |  Link
fulham

Quote:

Quote:
Yes. The values of the X option is the number of pixels added to the left of the leftmost pixel and to the right of the rightmost pixel of the subpic. In my example, the rectangle begins at 20 pixels to the left of the black outline of the letter "L", and ends at 20 pixels to the right of the dot. Similarly, the border begins and ends at 8 pixels above and below the subtitle, because I have specified 8 for the BorderY option. Of course, if the subpic has only one line of text, the overall height of the rectangle is less than for 2 or 3 lines. As I have explained above, you can force the border to occupy the whole width of the image by specifying a large number for X, but it doesn't make sense to do it for Y, as you don't want to cover the whole image with a translucent rectangle! Also, the background disappears when no subtitle is displayed. (Take care: in some DVDs, there are some empty subtitles. The border will be displayed, even if the subpic is empty. Use the "hide subpic" button to hide them.)
Excellent!
Thanks.
Old 9th February 2010, 06:43   #1033  |  Link
jeanl

I added an option in the preferences for displaying time in drop-frame mode (it's non-drop-frame by default).
I couldn't upload the app to the usual place, I'm not sure why, so I put it here for the time being:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/jdoefe...DVDSubEdit.zip
Give it a shot
Jeanl
Old 15th February 2010, 06:36   #1034  |  Link
jeanl

I was finally able to put the updated version on the normal server. So here it is for those who really need drop-frame time code in the srt files.
Jeanl

http://download.videohelp.com/DVDSub...Edit1.5101.zip
Old 25th February 2010, 16:15   #1035  |  Link
Veen49

Hello, i am new on this forum, thanks for you great program jeanl , i have the folowing question, i use convertxtodvd , after conversing i try to move the subtitle, every time i get the warning "serious error while parsing" followd by "replacing with a stuffing pack" and this for almost every subtitle.
Wat do i do wrong, hope you can read my bad english !
Veen49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 01:52   #1036  |  Link
jeanl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veen49 View Post
Hello, i am new on this forum, thanks for you great program jeanl , i have the folowing question, i use convertxtodvd , after conversing i try to move the subtitle, every time i get the warning "serious error while parsing" followd by "replacing with a stuffing pack" and this for almost every subtitle.
Wat do i do wrong, hope you can read my bad english !
I don't think it's anything you do wrong, but probably something that's not very well formatted on the output of convertxtodvd. Can you send me a snippet (a few megabytes) where there's 1 subpic, so I can take a look? Use megaupload to upload it, then send me a link at jeanldvd at free dot fr.
Jeanl
Old 26th February 2010, 13:37   #1037  |  Link
Veen49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanl View Post
I don't think it's anything you do wrong, but probably something that's not very well formatted on the output of convertxtodvd. Can you send me a snippet (a few megabytes) where there's 1 subpic, so I can take a look? Use megaupload to upload it, then send me a link at jeanldvd at free dot fr.
Jeanl
I'am sorry, but i dont no what you mean, i dont now what a snippet is, is there another way to inform you?
A printscreen of DVDse or Convertxtodvd ?
Veen49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 17:44   #1038  |  Link
jeanl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veen49 View Post
I'am sorry, but i dont no what you mean, i dont now what a snippet is, is there another way to inform you?
A printscreen of DVDse or Convertxtodvd ?

A printscreen won't do it. Here's what you could do:
- Save the subtitles as a sup file (in DVDSE).
- Send me the sup file (jeanldvd at free dot fr)...

I should be able to take a look using the sup file.
Thanks,
Jeanl
Old 3rd April 2010, 02:02   #1039  |  Link
Shurudihhi

Hello everyone. I have a problem with the program. When I try to open a dvd, this message appears: "File \ VIDEO_TS \ VTS_01_1 is ready only, you will not to be able to save your changes!" and if I try to save after making the change, the option appears disabled. My OS is Windows Vista. It would be some kind of incompatibility? Thanks and sorry for bad language, I'm from Brazil and I'm still learning. See ya.
Shurudihhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 02:08   #1040  |  Link
jeanl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurudihhi View Post
Hello everyone. I have a problem with the program. When I try to open a dvd, this message appears: "File \ VIDEO_TS \ VTS_01_1 is ready only, you will not to be able to save your changes!" and if I try to save after making the change, the option appears disabled. My OS is Windows Vista. It would be some kind of incompatibility? Thanks and sorry for bad language, I'm from Brazil and I'm still learning. See ya.
If you're trying to open the DVD straight from the disc then that would be normal (a disc in read-only). YOu have to make sure you rip your DVD to your hard-drive first, then open that.
Also, If the vob files are opened by another program (like DVDShrink), DVDSE will complain that they can only be opened as read-only. Close DVDShrink then open them again.
Jeanl