Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 1st January 2010, 21:52   #761  |  Link
SamuriHL

Ok, maybe I can help here. The audio dropouts are *DEFINITELY* video related guys. I changed from EVR to VMR9 and guess what? I now have your beloved audio dropouts. So, um, yea....it's not the audio that's causing this problem.
Old 1st January 2010, 22:02   #762  |  Link
joikd

FWIW, my 5750 seems to be working with no issues. I do have to use two MPC-HC .exe's with their own .ini files, though--one for Blu-rays (MPC Audio Renderer) & one for SD DVD's (Realtek HDMI). This is with W7 32bit & Denon 1610 (w/Tulli's Denon EDID override). The MPC Audio Renderer would not work on my SD DVD (AC3)--major drop outs. Same thing happened trying to use Realtek HDMI for Blu-rays.

Edit: By the way, I sometimes have sound issues which are only fixed by reboots--especially after messing with settings (even when returned to previously working values) or coming out of sleep.

Last edited by joikd; 1st January 2010 at 22:06.
joikd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 22:09   #763  |  Link
albain
Media Control author

Me too, this confirms what I suspected.

We can assert the following :

- ATI 57xx series
- Software decoding (no DXVA)
- EVR renderer
- Video output to RGB in FFdShow (more dropouts than YUY2)
- Any ATI driver (tried MS default, 9.10, 9.11, 9.12, 9.12 patched) with or without realtek ATI HDMI 2.39 driver
- Formats concerned : SPDIF formats (AC3/DTS).

=> Gives heavy dropouts on the HDMI audio output and even on the SPDIF outputs of your other cards (onboard motherboard for example)

Don't know for HD audio formats but I didn't experienced dropouts yesterday on Indy4 in TrueHD bitstream

What worries me is that I didn't experience so heavy dropouts at first : I managed to remove them yesterday by switching to ATI HDMI renderer, and today (nothing changed) with the exact same config I have the problem which makes me think of an hardware malfunction.
I still have the ticket to request a refund but I'd rather know if this is fixable with drivers update
albain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 22:15   #764  |  Link
SamuriHL

I'm not sure about this hardware failure idea. My 5870 is showing the exact same issue *in ffdshow only*. In PVD9 and WinDVD 2010, I get no audio dropouts whatsoever so long as I'm using the realtek 2.39 HDMI driver. The ATI driver breaks WinDVD 2010 for me. If I have EVR selected in MPC-HC, all is well and no audio problems. As soon as I switch it to VMR or whatever, instant audio dropouts. Switching it back to EVR fixes it. I think it's either an ATI bug or something else, but, I don't think it's a hardware issue else PDVD9 or WinDVD 2010 would have issues.
Old 1st January 2010, 22:21   #765  |  Link
Sebastiii

@SamuriHL
Are you sure that in MPC when you are no dropout you work in software mode ? because in DXVA hardware mode no pb @ all.

Strange PB !!! i hope that is not an hardware issue.
Old 1st January 2010, 22:25   #766  |  Link
SamuriHL

I'm not entirely sure how I would know that. If I select EVR Custom Pres. that should be software mode, correct? It allows me to have subtitles so I'm guessing it has to be software rendering. Is VMR9 (renderless) using DXVA? Cause when I select that one, it breaks the audio and I get the drop outs. I admit I'm still not up to speed on all the options in MPC-HC so it could be that I'm missing something here.
Old 1st January 2010, 22:28   #767  |  Link
Emilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
I'm not entirely sure how I would know that. If I select EVR Custom Pres. that should be software mode, correct? It allows me to have subtitles so I'm guessing it has to be software rendering. Is VMR9 (renderless) using DXVA? Cause when I select that one, it breaks the audio and I get the drop outs. I admit I'm still not up to speed on all the options in MPC-HC so it could be that I'm missing something here.
I think EVR Custom it is not break HA, even with subs....

From MPC Thread...

"DXVA is quite susceptible, so if you want to use it you have to respect those rules:

* Windows XP, Vista and 7
* For Windows XP users, select Overlay Mixer, WMR7(9) or VMR7(9) Renderless
* For Vista users, select EVR or EVR Custom
* For DXVA and subtitles support select VMR7(9) Renderless or EVR Custom."

If we can have it at FFdshow.....with new DXVA(Albain??)

Last edited by Emilot; 1st January 2010 at 22:31.
Emilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 22:31   #768  |  Link
SamuriHL

Could be. This is not an area I really have any idea about. I went to internal filters and checked, both dxva and ffmpeg was checked for each video codec. I tried selecting either/or and the situation did not change. With EVR or EVR Custom, no audio problems. With VMR, audio dropouts persist. I don't know if this information helps anyone or not.
Old 1st January 2010, 22:35   #769  |  Link
Emilot

Quote:
Could be. This is not an area I really have any idea about. I went to internal filters and checked, both dxva and ffmpeg was checked for each video codec. I tried selecting either/or and the situation did not change. With EVR or EVR Custom, no audio problems. With VMR, audio dropouts persist. I don't know if this information helps anyone or not.
You shouldn't choose VMR on Vista or 7!!!

If you choose only ffmpeg on internal filters and EVR or EVR Custom is software "mode".

If you choose dxva and not ffmpeg and EVR or EVR Custom, then you are in hardware(DXVA) "mode".

Check CPU throttle plz...

Last edited by Emilot; 1st January 2010 at 22:37.
Old 1st January 2010, 22:40   #770  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilot View Post
You shouldn't choose VMR on Vista or 7!!!

If you choose only ffmpeg on internal filters and EVR or EVR Custom is software "mode".

If you choose dxva and not ffmpeg and EVR or EVR Custom, then you are in hardware(DXVA) "mode".
Like I said, I don't know very much here. This is way outside my knowledge area. Ok, so, VMR is bad on Vista and 7?? Hmm, that's odd but ok. EVR or EVR Custom works fine whether I have ffmpeg (software, apparently) or dxva (hardware) selected in internal filters. Neither work with VMR, so, your assertion that I shouldn't be using VMR is probably correct. I'm on 7 64, but, am using the 32 bit version of MPC-HC and ffdshow. (One of these days I really need to set up ffdshow to compile 64 bit on my machine so I can always have the latest and start using 64 bit MPC-HC) Anyway, I don't know if any of this info helps anyone or not. For me, if I keep it on EVR or preferably EVR Custom, I can use either software or hardware mode with no audio dropout.
Old 1st January 2010, 22:44   #771  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:

Check CPU throttle plz...
With DXVA, MPC-HC.exe takes a whopping 6-12%.

With ffmpeg, MPC-HC.exe takes 18-30%. Woa....wait a minute, NOW I'm getting audio dropouts?? Even on EVR Custom??? I wonder if I didn't set it correctly before. Damnit. Ok, yes, on software mode it does appear to be giving me audio dropouts.
Old 1st January 2010, 22:47   #772  |  Link
Emilot

Quote:
With DXVA, MPC-HC.exe takes a whopping 6-12%.

With ffmpeg, MPC-HC.exe takes 18-30%. Woa....wait a minute, NOW I'm getting audio dropouts?? Even on EVR Custom??? I wonder if I didn't set it correctly before. Damnit. Ok, yes, on software mode it does appear to be giving me audio dropouts.
And what about in the "software mode" and EVR???
Old 1st January 2010, 22:49   #773  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
And what about in the "software mode" and EVR???
Also giving me audio dropouts. I must have not set it properly before. sigh. But yes, if I uncheck the DXVA options in internal filters for VC1 and H.264, I now get audio dropouts on both EVR and EVR Custom. Setting DXVA and unchecking ffmpeg, no audio dropouts at all.
Old 1st January 2010, 23:12   #774  |  Link
piit

Quote:
Originally Posted by albain View Post
We can assert the following :
- Formats concerned : SPDIF formats (AC3/DTS).
Well, I'm afraid I have these dropouts even if playing PCM audio with full screen video - e.g. when playing a flash video on the web (from vimeo) in full screen. Strangely enough the dropouts disappear when I put the mouse over the video controls (play/pause) to keep them shown all the time (normally they auto-hide).

Even stranger is that I use to have these heavy dropouts in MPC-HC in software decode mode (not in DXVA, like others), but they seem to have disappeared recently. I did not make any changes to the setup. I've a 5750.

Piit
piit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 23:13   #775  |  Link
joikd

I just unchecked both DXVA options, but had no drop-outs for the five minutes that I ran the tests on a blu-ray (VC1) and an SD DVD. The blu-ray did get the CPU up to 60% usage, but both audio and video were fine.

By the way, my W7 install was the hotfix Cat. 9.12 drivers w/o the audio drivers (never installed the original Cat. 9.12--went straight to the hot fix drivers), then the Realtek 2.39 ATI HDMI drivers.
joikd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2010, 23:26   #776  |  Link
Sebastiii

So to see that i in Hardware DXVA mode i go on filter when i play with MPC and check MPC Video and in it, we can see if hardware is enable or not
I hope that it's driver issue
Seb.
Old 1st January 2010, 23:32   #777  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by joikd View Post
I just unchecked both DXVA options, but had no drop-outs for the five minutes that I ran the tests on a blu-ray (VC1) and an SD DVD. The blu-ray did get the CPU up to 60% usage, but both audio and video were fine.

By the way, my W7 install was the hotfix Cat. 9.12 drivers w/o the audio drivers (never installed the original Cat. 9.12--went straight to the hot fix drivers), then the Realtek 2.39 ATI HDMI drivers.
I've got a quad core 8200 in my machine and it never went above 36% on CPU, but, I get audio dropouts almost immediately. I was using Dark Knight to test it. I have the same setup in terms of 7 64, 9.12 hotfix, and realtek 2.39 HDMI driver.
Old 2nd January 2010, 00:33   #778  |  Link
albain
Media Control author

This is a shame that ATI 5xxx cards give dropouts on such basic formats : regular AC3/DTS passthrough

So now we can tell that all the 5xxx series is affected, and this concerns software decoding mode.

We should post trouble tickets to AMD support
Old 2nd January 2010, 00:36   #779  |  Link
albain
Media Control author

This is a shame that ATI 5xxx cards give dropouts on such basic formats : regular AC3/DTS passthrough

So now we can tell that all the 5xxx series is affected, and this concerns software decoding mode on ALL players : MPCHC with its own codecs, VLC, or any player using a directshow software decoder... such as FFDShow

We should post trouble tickets to AMD support
Old 2nd January 2010, 00:38   #780  |  Link
SamuriHL

Way to go ATI. I've never run into this before because I always use HA whenever playing anything. Awesome.