Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 24th July 2009, 20:13   #201  |  Link
SamuriHL
Registered User
 
SamuriHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by shv View Post
As far I know AnyDVD HD don't currently support MKB V14. Taking this into mind I think it would be good to have two tools which can decrypt BDs and BD+ too. As it shall become a comercial tool it shall support different use cases to get more user which want to pay for it. In this case there could be a good balance between price and offered features.

Restriction to MKV format would mean to restrict usage of other tools as well as the restriction of potential users. Currently this also means that the usage of HD audio formats is not possible and subtitles also don't work. At least I was not able to play them to split them or to remux them...
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but, isn't the name of the program Make*MKV*? It's not a general purpose ripping tool. It was created so that you can make MKV's from your BD's.
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 23:12   #202  |  Link
Nnoitra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but, isn't the name of the program Make*MKV*? It's not a general purpose ripping tool. It was created so that you can make MKV's from your BD's.
And throws away the HD audio while it's at it... so not very useful.
Nnoitra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 00:00   #203  |  Link
SamuriHL
Registered User
 
SamuriHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nnoitra View Post
And throws away the HD audio while it's at it... so not very useful.
It's atually quite useful to a great many people. It all depends on what you're trying to do. Some people want MKV files so they can stream them to network players or play them on a PC or whatever. They may not need HD audio. Some people would rather keep everything untouched. For those people this is not the product for them. Remember...the right tool for the job.
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 02:28   #204  |  Link
Nnoitra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
It's atually quite useful to a great many people. It all depends on what you're trying to do. Some people want MKV files so they can stream them to network players or play them on a PC or whatever. They may not need HD audio. Some people would rather keep everything untouched. For those people this is not the product for them. Remember...the right tool for the job.
There's only two reasons to buy a BD, one is HD video, the other is HD audio. Otherwise DVDs are much easier to work with. Throw away the HD audio and you're removed half the value of a BD. If people are happy with this (as the existing users and authors of Ripbot/MakeMKV apparently are), more power to them. But I don't get why the authors of these tools won't add such support, it's very easy. I spent a week writing a python script automating BD->mkv just so I could get the HD audio. Oh well.
Nnoitra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 02:33   #205  |  Link
SamuriHL
Registered User
 
SamuriHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nnoitra View Post
There's only two reasons to buy a BD, one is HD video, the other is HD audio. Otherwise DVDs are much easier to work with. Throw away the HD audio and you're removed half the value of a BD. If people are happy with this (as the existing users and authors of Ripbot/MakeMKV apparently are), more power to them. But I don't get why the authors of these tools won't add such support, it's very easy. I spent a week writing a python script automating BD->mkv just so I could get the HD audio. Oh well.
While I personally tend to agree that keeping the HD audio is a requirement, for others it simply isn't. They want the HD picture and can live with non-HD audio. I don't see anything wrong with that if that's what they're looking for. Just because it's not what you or I want, it doesn't make this product any less valid. And at current, MKV as a container doesn't support HD audio formats. I believe you can convert it to lossless FLAC or something like that and you'll get lossless HD audio in an MKV container. Perhaps that's something they'll consider adding to this product in the future. But as it stands now, this product is designed to convert a BD to an MKV. And there are many people seem to like the concept.
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 03:45   #206  |  Link
Chiamos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
While I personally tend to agree that keeping the HD audio is a requirement, for others it simply isn't. They want the HD picture and can live with non-HD audio. I don't see anything wrong with that if that's what they're looking for. Just because it's not what you or I want, it doesn't make this product any less valid. And at current, MKV as a container doesn't support HD audio formats. I believe you can convert it to lossless FLAC or something like that and you'll get lossless HD audio in an MKV container. Perhaps that's something they'll consider adding to this product in the future. But as it stands now, this product is designed to convert a BD to an MKV. And there are many people seem to like the concept.
I concur exactly with your all thoughts and opinions on this matter. I have converted the HD to FLAC for a MKV container and it sounds like Lossless to me...great! It would be terrific if this could be designed into MakeMKV, as .MKV and .FLAC are supported in some SW Players and maybe are now, like the Western Digital HD Media Player, or will be supported soon...even together in more hardware Players.

Last edited by Chiamos; 25th July 2009 at 03:49.
Chiamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 06:07   #207  |  Link
setarip_old
Registered User
 
setarip_old's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,274
@shv
Quote:
Restriction to MKV format would mean to restrict usage of other tools as well as the restriction of potential users.
After creating an MKV from your original BluRay disc by using "MakeMKV", it will take but a brief few minutes to use (freeware) "tsMuxeR" to create a BluRay "package" ("movie-only") from your MKV...
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 09:33   #208  |  Link
shv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 27
Yes that is right but I don't get the HD audio streams and subtitles don't work with tsMuxeR. So a lot gets lost while using MakeMKV.
shv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2009, 16:52   #209  |  Link
MacLover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 11
shv if you want 1:1 ripping of Blu-ray's this app is not for you.

Try AnyDVD HD or DVDFab
MacLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 05:17   #210  |  Link
redfive19
Registered User
 
redfive19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLover View Post
Redfive, assuming your on OS X as you said play on Plex, have you tried demuxing using TSMuxer and opening the Subtitle file with Jubler and convert to .ass or .srt?
I tried TSMuxer but it did not extract subtitles. Do you think if I extracted the blu-ray to ISO that Plex would be able to play it?
redfive19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 13:31   #211  |  Link
MacLover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 11
No Plex, can't play back Blu-ray Subtitles yet.

And are you sure as I was able to demux subtitles from Wallace and Gromit and Lissi und der wilde Kaiser using TSMuxer, although one of them was from normal .m2ts files.
MacLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 05:15   #212  |  Link
happycase
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 92
This program is, IMO, the best decryptor of BD available and I hope that a full disk mode is available in the freeware version.
happycase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 14:49   #213  |  Link
redfive19
Registered User
 
redfive19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 93
So just an update for anyone concerned...I used TSMuxer to demux my subs to a .sup file. Then, on my PC, I brought that .sup file into Suprip and OCR'd the subs to an SRT. I then took that SRT and muxed it back into the original MKV. It's working! Only problem I really see is, the subtitle, in Plex, doesn't show up as English, it shows up as what I named it in TSMuxer. Small issue....anyone know how to make it show as English?
redfive19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009, 15:20   #214  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,618
MKVMergeGUI header editor.
Inspector.Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2009, 09:12   #215  |  Link
setarip_old
Registered User
 
setarip_old's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,274
@Mike Chen

I see that v.1.4.6 was released with many fixes.

Is there now a target date for MakeMKV being able to process BD+ BluRay discs?
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2009, 08:05   #216  |  Link
setarip_old
Registered User
 
setarip_old's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 16,274
MameMKV and VC-1

@Mike Chen

Now that MakeMKV is capable of processing BluRay discs containing VC-1 video, it would be a nice gesture if you folks would enhance your HD-DVD coverage by simply extending the VC-1 coverage to HD-DVD ripping.

Remember, anything you do now regarding HD-DVD coverage won't ever require update or modification - and you'll be viewed by many to be gentlemen (and ladies?), as well as good sports ;>}
setarip_old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 15:20   #217  |  Link
sosuke
Registered User
 
sosuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4
Is there a way to override the aspect ratio in the created MKVs? Some of my DVDs are coming out with really wacky ARs. Brian Regan Standing Up is probably the most extreme example. It's widescreen but I'm pretty sure it was encoded as 4:3 so it has bars on top and bottom (is that what is considered anamorphic?). So when played back as wide screen it ends up super stretched out horizontally and squashed vertically. Is there any way to fix this besides re-encoding it? I have a lot of DVDs I'm trying to convert and I'd rather avoid the 3-6 hours to re-encode each.
sosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 17:06   #218  |  Link
b66pak
Registered User
 
b66pak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The Land Of Dracula (Romania - EU)
Posts: 934
use mkvmerge to remux with your new AR...
_
b66pak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 18:39   #219  |  Link
sosuke
Registered User
 
sosuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4
That doesn't fix it.
sosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 09:55   #220  |  Link
Mike Chen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by setarip_old View Post
@Mike Chen

Now that MakeMKV is capable of processing BluRay discs containing VC-1 video, it would be a nice gesture if you folks would enhance your HD-DVD coverage by simply extending the VC-1 coverage to HD-DVD ripping.

Remember, anything you do now regarding HD-DVD coverage won't ever require update or modification - and you'll be viewed by many to be gentlemen (and ladies?), as well as good sports ;>}
It is not that simple. In short, VC-1 on HD-DVD is encoded differently from Blu-ray and would require a lot of VC-1 specfic code. Also there is no (still?) free EAC3 to AC3/LPCM transcoding library so writing an EAC3 converter just to support HD-DVDs is challenging. So that's why MakeMKV does not support VC-1 streams without encoded reordering information and E-AC3 streams. Unfortunately these are most common codecs on HD-DVDs.
Mike Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.