Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Closed Thread

Old 14th April 2009, 20:11   #7221  |  Link
Jong

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
I want to report a problem I have. While playing a new blu-ray I got, 300, I have problems when seeking. I get one of two problems but only in maybe 1 out of 5 seeks.

1) When I seek, its like 2-3 frames of video play repeatedly over and over again, while the sound continues perfectly in the background.
2) When I seek, 2-3 frames of video play repeatedly with one frame corrupted like below.
Are you using external decoders? because I get that problem if I use Cyberlink's decoders in MPC-HC.
Old 14th April 2009, 20:24   #7222  |  Link
mark0077

No using internal decoders. vc-1 software decoding.
Old 14th April 2009, 22:34   #7223  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
I want to report a problem I have. While playing a new blu-ray I got, 300, I have problems when seeking. I get one of two problems but only in maybe 1 out of 5 seeks.

1) When I seek, its like 2-3 frames of video play repeatedly over and over again, while the sound continues perfectly in the background.
2) When I seek, 2-3 frames of video play repeatedly with one frame corrupted like below.

Also, when loading a blu-ray m2ts file from disk, because the initial loading of the video seems slightly slower than loading files from hard disk, I notice that if I do a seek BEFORE the video has began to play fully, then I get a black screen forever. I can still seek using the taskbar, but something must go wrong in this scenario. I can hear the sound in the background. Maybe I shouldn't be allowed seek until the video file has started playing to fix this bug. (Edit: I actually think this black screen bug might be actually the same problem as the seeking problem I talk about above.)

PS: I am not using DXVA, because I can't seem to ever get it working on my GTX 295.
I have this problem too with DXVA, the behaviour seems random though, i could try the same file 20 times and only have it happen once.
Old 14th April 2009, 22:48   #7224  |  Link
mark0077

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo55 View Post
I have this problem too with DXVA, the behaviour seems random though, i could try the same file 20 times and only have it happen once.
Yeah not enough to really stop me enjoying things but obviously a bug somewhere. Are you using hardware or software decoding? I am using software and it happens, repeatable as I say in 1 out of maybe 5 seeks on this blu-ray. It actually took a few attempts to get that screenshot as mpc-hc flickers between what looks like a good frame, and that damaged frame, but very fast so its hard to catch the bad frame. Sound continues in the background as if nothing is wrong.
Old 15th April 2009, 10:09   #7225  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
Yeah not enough to really stop me enjoying things but obviously a bug somewhere. Are you using hardware or software decoding? I am using software and it happens, repeatable as I say in 1 out of maybe 5 seeks on this blu-ray. It actually took a few attempts to get that screenshot as mpc-hc flickers between what looks like a good frame, and that damaged frame, but very fast so its hard to catch the bad frame. Sound continues in the background as if nothing is wrong.
DXVA means hardware decoding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
The BD of "marley and I" completely freaks out MPC HC DXVA decoder (Frame jumping) with all renderers. Core AVC is normal. Problem persits in the last 6 versions - before i do not know.

System: ATI RADEON 2600 PRO 512MB, WIN XP SP3
I think we are getting closer and closer to finding a sample so casimir can reproduce the bug on his system
Old 15th April 2009, 11:23   #7226  |  Link
Allbestmessage

Really very cool thank for sharing.
Old 15th April 2009, 14:00   #7227  |  Link
chros

OFF: what kind of nVidia videocard or nVidia chipset in laptops supports DXVA or/and CUDA ?
(At my firm I can select a laptop for everyday use ...)

Thanks for helping ...
Old 15th April 2009, 18:14   #7228  |  Link
flanger216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
The BD of "marley and I" completely freaks out MPC HC DXVA decoder (Frame jumping) with all renderers. Core AVC is normal. Problem persits in the last 6 versions - before i do not know.
Same with the BD of "Dune" on my HD3600 in Windows 7. Lots of macroblocking, repeated frames, etc. Software decoding is unaffected.
Old 15th April 2009, 20:04   #7229  |  Link
Eric B

I've tried shortly the DXVA decoder integrated in MPC-HD (last official build) with my HD3650 and I also get macro blocking, frame errors, etc. I'll stay with PDVD7 external decoder.

Besides, did somebody already talked about DAR (display aspect ratio)? When I put a single avc (mp4 container) track in MPC-HD, the DAR is automatically properly taken. However, once muxed in mkv with audio tracks (aac-he), the DAR is not correct anymore when I open the resulting file. In other player (e.g. the venerable TCMP), the DAR is correctly taken from the video track in the mkv.
Old 15th April 2009, 20:10   #7230  |  Link
Brazil2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
Besides, did somebody already talked about DAR (display aspect ratio)? When I put a single avc (mp4 container) track in MPC-HD, the DAR is automatically properly taken. However, once muxed in mkv with audio tracks (aac-he), the DAR is not correct anymore when I open the resulting file. In other player (e.g. the venerable TCMP), the DAR is correctly taken from the video track in the mkv.
Yes, I have the same issue with some, but not all, of my videos.
Some other people reported the same thing too:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...94#post1255394
Old 15th April 2009, 20:16   #7231  |  Link
Snowknight26

I've a file that I muxed FLAC into that makes HPC-HC stop playing the audio upon seeking. I tried to reproduce the issue with a sample by cutting the mkv, but it turns out that MPC-HC won't even play the audio of the sample. I'd safely say its the same issue.

http://stfcc.org/misc/pulpfiction.sample.mkv
Old 15th April 2009, 22:25   #7232  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

I have some questions and ideas regarding the output settings window

First the questions:
1. Why do realmedia and quicktime have seperate settings>
1b. Can these be merged into the main selection (would save a lot of space and 2 less options to worry about)

some idea's:
2. Reduce the directshow Video to only the main renderer's and have windowed and renderless be checkable options on the right (that can only be checked when the a compatible render is selected)
3. Select the best renderer by default, and fall back 1 by 1.
3b. Order would be: EVR-CP, EVR, VMR9, VMR7, Overlay, Old renderer. (maybe mpc should remember which renderer connected and not try higher ones again after that?)
4. Upgrade realmedia and quicktime to EVR (should already be the case if 1b is done)
Old 15th April 2009, 22:46   #7233  |  Link
clsid

The RealMedia and QuickTime frameworks don't use DirectShow. That is why they have separate settings.

2/3. I don't agree with your preferred order of renderers. Everyone has their own personal preference. The current behavior is good. Fallback to system default is sufficient as fallback should rarely happen.
Old 15th April 2009, 23:40   #7234  |  Link
DrNein

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikker View Post
Hi, just curious as to why there are two decoder selections each for VC-1 and AVC. For instance, my ATI card will only accelerate AVC video if ONLY the AVC (DXVA) is selected, but it will not accelerate the video if both AVC (DXVA) and AVC (ffmpeg) are selected.

The same thing applies to VC-1. Acceleration occurs when only VC-1 (DXVA) is selected.

My question is: Shouldn't the end user have a choice of either DXVA or ffmpeg but not both?

Another interesting point to mention is the fact that my lowly ATI 3450 definitely accelerates video with both AVC and VC-1 in MPC-HC. I can easily play 1080p BluRay M2TS files with a weak C2D processor at around 10-15% CPU usage. According to the FAQ at least, MPC-HC should only be able to accelerate video beginning with cards that are slightly better than the HD3450.
When both are selected, hardware (DXVA) should be used when possible (i.e. standards compliant video), and fallback to software (ffmpeg) otherwise.

HD2000 and higher have essentially the same hardware decoder performance. The CPU almost does not matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Video_Decoder

Quote:
3. Select the best renderer by default, and fall back 1 by 1.
3b. Order would be: EVR-CP, EVR, VMR9, VMR7, Overlay, Old renderer. (maybe mpc should remember which renderer connected and not try higher ones again after that?)
With XP, VMR7 has very good quality and the best features (and can use Overlay). VMR9 is good for subtitles but quality suffers. EVR-CP also has poor quality in certain instances. EVR has good quality but lacks features. So, if "best" was implemented then "fallback order" would have to be very different.
Old 16th April 2009, 08:43   #7235  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
The RealMedia and QuickTime frameworks don't use DirectShow. That is why they have separate settings.
Ahh, what an annoyance those codecs are.
So we can only use directshow with the ffmpeg equivalents

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
2/3. I don't agree with your preferred order of renderers. Everyone has their own personal preference. The current behavior is good. Fallback to system default is sufficient as fallback should rarely happen.
I experienced some problems with the current fallback system, but maybe a better fallback method would not be able to prevent the crashes i encountered

The order i suggested was theoretical best to theoretical worst.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNein View Post
With XP, VMR7 has very good quality and the best features (and can use Overlay). VMR9 is good for subtitles but quality suffers. EVR-CP also has poor quality in certain instances. EVR has good quality but lacks features. So, if "best" was implemented then "fallback order" would have to be very different.
Could you and clsid list the pro's con's of each renderer?
Old 16th April 2009, 17:08   #7236  |  Link
pokazene_maslo

Hello. I have problem with fallback routine in MPCHC. DXVA is running fine when file is DXVA compliant. But when DXVA can't be used on AVC file and I have disabled internal h264/avc (ffmpeg) decoder video is without picture (only sound). I have installed external ffdshow and it is correctly used for ASP files. I want to use external ffdshow for DXVA incompatible content because it can be configured in detail. Thanks
MPCHC: 1.2.1.1043 x64
ffdshow: 2768 x64
Old 16th April 2009, 21:53   #7237  |  Link
DrNein

Quote:
Could you and clsid list the pro's con's of each renderer?
See here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=144296
Old 17th April 2009, 11:13   #7238  |  Link
Lincoln Burrows

While this discussion is happening in the BSPlayer board, I ask you please to take a look into what I said on that thread and try to help me on this matter... because it's something that involves MPC-HC, BSP Pro, MPEG-2 decoders, possible decrypting (bugs?) or any other unusual thing that I don't have any fracking idea...

http://forum.bsplayer.com/general-ta...-properly.html

But before reading that thread, please read this one posted here on Doom9:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143764

Any ideas what might be causing the TMNT issue with MPC-HC/BSP? PDVD is not having that problem.

I wonder if those navigation problems from both MPC/BSP can be solved... I didn't know it was such a mess playing a single DVD. I guess I'll just have to follow this thread:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146123

And pray to stay away from those issues.
Old 17th April 2009, 16:02   #7239  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

I have been testing beliyaal's build for any problems.
I have tested over 50 movies and compared each problem to regular MPC-HC SVN to find out if they are regressions or not.

during this testing i found VC1 playback to be completely broken.
Attached is a screenshot of what the original BD of Corpse Bride looks like, every second looks like this, i have been unable to find even 1 non-broken frame .

It's the mt2s file opened in MPC-HC, i am using Windows7 with Catalyst 9.4

(The screenshot is from beliyaal's build but the result is identical in SVN builds)

Last edited by tetsuo55; 17th April 2009 at 16:13.
Old 17th April 2009, 18:15   #7240  |  Link
mark0077

Quote:

Also, when loading a blu-ray m2ts file from disk, because the initial loading of the video seems slightly slower than loading files from hard disk, I notice that if I do a seek BEFORE the video has began to play fully, then I get a black screen forever. I can still seek using the taskbar, but something must go wrong in this scenario. I can hear the sound in the background. Maybe I shouldn't be allowed seek until the video file has started playing to fix this bug. (Edit: I actually think this black screen bug might be actually the same problem as the seeking problem I talk about above.)

PS: I am not using DXVA, because I can't seem to ever get it working on my GTX 295.
Damn, this is actually getting to be annoying little one, wanted to jump into a scene in 300 to compare against something and cannot get to that scene. My seek leaves mpc-hc displaying a frame and a broken frame repeatedly in a loop even on many more seeks, the same two images get drawn (the last two frames it seemed to render correctly actually).
Closed Thread

Tags
dxva, h264, home cinema, media player classic, mpc-hc