Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 6th September 2008, 09:47   #6081  |  Link
K1ngp1ng

and what exactly is the point of this? "4:" already is an ac3 track?
Old 6th September 2008, 09:53   #6082  |  Link
asarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1ngp1ng View Post
and what exactly is the point of this? "4:" already is an ac3 track?
The point is to use the DTS stream to get another AC3 stream, sans the dialogue normalization.
Old 6th September 2008, 10:00   #6083  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
With the help of Elektra999 I have dts samples with atypical channel map.
The samples was encoded with DTS PRO SERIES SURROUND ENCODER.
Only 3/2.0 and 3/2.1 was encoded with Surcode.

Code:
AMODE   Ch  Arrangement+lfe  Mask and MS channels order  Detect-MaskCh eac3to  libav remap   ArcSoft problems
-------- -  ---------------  --------------------------  --------------------  -----------   ----------------
0b000010 2  L R              0x0003  FL FR               2.0   0x000B  (1)     not needed    ok
0b000110 3  L R S            0x0103  FL FR BC            2/1   0x0103  ok      not needed    BC ch empty
         4  L R S  LFE       0x010B  FL FR LF BC         2/1.1 0x010B     (2)  -0,1,3,2,4,5  BC ch empty (3)
0b001000 4  L R Ls Rs        0x0033  FL FR BL BR         2/2   0x0033  ok      not needed    BL+BR ch's empty
         5  L R Ls Rs LFE    0x003B  FL FR LF BL BR      2/2.1 0x003B     (2) -0,1,4,2,3,5   LF ch empty
0b000101 3  C L R            0x0007  FL FR FC            3/0   0x000F  (1)(2) -1,2,0,3,4,5   ok
         4  C L R LFE        0x000F  FL FR FC LF         3.1   0x000F     (2) -1,2,0,3,4,5   ok
0b000111 4  C L R S          0x0107  FL FR FC BC         3/1   0x0107     (2) -1,2,0,3,4,5   BC ch empty
         5  C L R S  LFE     0x010F  FL FR FC LF BC      3/1.1 0x010F     (2) -1,2,0,4,3,5   LF same than BC
0b001001 5  C L R Ls Rs      0x0037  FL FR FC BL BR      5.0   0x003F  (1)(2) -1,2,0,3,4,5   ok
         6  C L R Ls Rs LFE  0x003F  FL FR FC LF BL BR   5.1   0x003F  ok      already done  ok

(1) Wrong mask, the correct mask can be easyly put based in detection
(2) When decoded with libav need remapping channels.
(3) Same remap than libav needed.
Thank you!!

The next eac3to version will fix the incorrect channel masks and implement channel remapping for libav and ArcSoft. Here's how the different DTS decoders work with these samples:

- libav works fine
- ArcSoft works fine, but splits mono surround channel (x1x.dts) into Ls/Rs pair with half volume each
- Sonic heavily dislikes mono surround channel (crash or funny results), but works fine for the other tracks
- Nero works fine

Not sure yet how I should handle ArcSoft's mono surround channel splitting. Should eac3to keep ArcSoft's Ls/Rs pair? Or should I remove one of those channels and double the volume of the other to reconstruct the original mono surround channel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshmothma View Post
Madshi, thanks for the recent update. I was able to complete operations on the NIN BD. However, the video pixelates heavily. I am not sure what is going on. Do you want another sample? Thanks
IIRC I had no pixelation. Decoding worked just fine for me with the MS VC-1 decoder. Which decoder are you using? NIN is interlaced and the ffmpeg/libav decoder (and also the MPC HC built in decoder) don't handle interlaced decoding correctly yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon crusher View Post
Those 2 are uploading to mediafire right now.
Thanks! This very much looks like an authoring fault. One and the same audio track suddenly changes from TrueHD to AC3 and another audio track suddenly changes from AC3 to TrueHD. I'm not sure how to handle that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaja1 View Post
Remuxing Welcome to Dongmakgol Blu-ray to mkv results in async audio.

The resulting DTS track is not in sync with the video. The original stream is in sync.

Remarkably, the WMV decoder is not capable of proper playback of the m2ts, artefacts all over. Ffdshow however, has no problems with the video.

A sample can be found at:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/71uipv
I don't see any artifacting here with the sample you uploaded. WMV decoder? What's that? You may want to install the latest Windows Media Player to get the latest MS VC-1 decoder. This in combination with the latest Haali version results in perfect video playback on my PC.

About the DTS track: The sample is rather short and doesn't really help much with checking the correct audio delay. I don't see an obvious "desync", but it's hard to say from that sample. How did you test audio sync? Have you transcoded the DTS track to something else? Have you muxed it into some container? The audio sync mismatch could be introduced by the filters you're using for playback or by the way you muxed things. Of course it could also be introduced by eac3to. Can't say for certain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarian View Post
Hmm, getting the weirdest error (see below for full output): "The channel modder was started with incorrect parameters." What is up with that? And how do I fix it?
Can you please run "eac3to 1) 3: c:\video\devils.ac3 -logdts"? It seems that the DTS track is decoded by Sonic only as 5.1 although it's a 6.1 track (which results in that strange eac3to error you've seen). I'd like to know why it's only decoded as 5.1. My guess is that it's one of those rare DTS tracks with a slightly unusual format. The "-logdts" parameter should tell me that. Thanks!
Old 6th September 2008, 10:01   #6084  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarian View Post
The point is to use the DTS stream to get another AC3 stream, sans the dialogue normalization.
You can also let eac3to just demux the original AC3 stream. Dialog normalization will then automatically be removed. The original AC3 stream will very likely have a better audio quality compared to transcoding the DTS-Hi-Res track to AC3.
Old 6th September 2008, 10:25   #6085  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
- ArcSoft works fine, but splits mono surround channel (x1x.dts) into Ls/Rs pair with half volume each

Not sure yet how I should handle ArcSoft's mono surround channel splitting. Should eac3to keep ArcSoft's Ls/Rs pair? Or should I remove one of those channels and double the volume of the other to reconstruct the original mono surround channel?
I believe reconstructing the original DTS format (mono surround) will be better.
Old 6th September 2008, 10:42   #6086  |  Link
xkodi

Quote:
should I remove one of those channels and double the volume of the other to reconstruct the original mono surround channel?
sorry, but i will ask again about DTS header patching - these tracks are plain DTS, AFAIK channel order bits and how CRC is calculated are well known for DTS header.

so, why not patch for example "L R S" as "C L R" in the DTS header, then it should decode correctly and it shouldn't need reconstruction at all or am i wrong about such possibility?

reconstruction is probably easier to do than header patching, but less precise.
Old 6th September 2008, 11:08   #6087  |  Link
Jaja1

Quote:
I don't see any artifacting here with the sample you uploaded.
I figured out what is wrong. Selecting Gabest's DTS source filter in ZP caused artefacting in combination with the WMV decoder. Deselecting the filter solved this. And now audio is in sync as well

Quote:
WMV decoder? What's that?
Well, MS still call there VC-1 decoder WMV decoder. To be precise WMVds32.ax and WMV8ds32.ax. And it shows up as WMVideo decoder in ZP and Windows Media Video Decoder in Radlight Filter Manager. Can't help that.
Old 6th September 2008, 11:55   #6088  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkodi View Post
sorry, but i will ask again about DTS header patching - these tracks are plain DTS, AFAIK channel order bits and how CRC is calculated are well known for DTS header.

so, why not patch for example "L R S" as "C L R" in the DTS header, then it should decode correctly and it shouldn't need reconstruction at all or am i wrong about such possibility?
You're right. I've implemented that now and it fixes both ArcSoft and Sonic. So now all DTS decoders decode all of tebasuna's samples correctly.
Old 6th September 2008, 12:11   #6089  |  Link
nautilus7

Is the patching only for plain DTS or for DTS-HD also?
Old 6th September 2008, 14:45   #6090  |  Link
xkodi

Quote:
You're right. I've implemented that now and it fixes both ArcSoft and Sonic. So now all DTS decoders decode all of tebasuna's samples correctly.
great! thank you, madshi!

can you try the same patching approach with the DTS-HD MA header of the sample from Q-tec Hi-Definition Reference Demo Disc:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...02#post1153102

and change the order from "C L R Ls Rs LFE Lsr Rsr", which doesn't decode correctly to the "C L R LFE Lsr Rsr Lss Rss" which is known to be good order.

if it doesn't work it's OK, i just want to try that in order to know is there any different in patching header channel order between plain DTS and DTS-HD MA.

also good sample for DTS-HD MA header patching is the 3/1 DTS-HD MA track that nautilus7 found:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/wgdtbn

Last edited by xkodi; 6th September 2008 at 15:13.
Old 6th September 2008, 17:02   #6091  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
Is the patching only for plain DTS or for DTS-HD also?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkodi View Post
can you try the same patching approach with the DTS-HD MA header
Unfortunately patching DTS-HD channel/speaker settings is much more difficult than patching core channel settings. In the DTS-HD data blocks many fields have a variable size which depends on other fields. The changes I'd need to do would result in a change of the DTS-HD data block size. Which again is a very big change to the DTS-HD bitstream which I'm not confident to do correctly. As a result patching speaker settings in DTS-HD data blocks is no go.
Old 6th September 2008, 17:05   #6092  |  Link
rebkell

I asked earlier, but it probably got forgotten in all the posts, but was wondering how the overlaps and gaps get fixed, as in if two segments overlap, do you chop off the end of segment 1 or the start of segment 2 and also wonder how gaps are handled, filled in with silence?
Old 6th September 2008, 17:41   #6093  |  Link
xkodi

Quote:
As a result patching speaker settings in DTS-HD data blocks is no go.
if so complicated then leave it, it doesn't worth wasting time for that for the time being, because i know for only two problematic samples:

- Edward Scissorhands Blu-ray DTS-HD MA 3/1 track
- Q-tec Hi-Definition Reference Demo Disc DTS-HD MA track

i hope that the studios will never use such weird channel orders in their future releases.
Old 6th September 2008, 17:53   #6094  |  Link
rica

Hi guys,
Sorry for my question which is out of the subject:

eac3to can make 23.976p video and audio to 25p PAL with "-speedup" option. (or reverse with -slowdown)

How can i convert subtitles to 25 fps, would speedup option work for subtitles as well? (or shall i use Supread's 25fps option?)

Thanks.

Last edited by rica; 6th September 2008 at 18:05.
Old 6th September 2008, 17:56   #6095  |  Link
nautilus7

eac3to can only demux the subtitles. Editing should be done with other programs. SUPread can change framerate while keeping the subs in their original .sup format.
Old 6th September 2008, 18:00   #6096  |  Link
rica

Thx but last question:

Do you mean i have to export as 25fps on Supread ?(and later to convert to srt)

Last edited by rica; 6th September 2008 at 18:04.
Old 6th September 2008, 18:06   #6097  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rica View Post
Thx but last question:

Do you mean i have to export as 25fps on Subread ?(and later to convert to srt)
No, I though you wanted to keep them as .sup. You can do it in one step.

But since you want to convert to .srt (OCR), I suggest SupRip against SUPread, but it doesn't allow fps changing, so you'll have to use another tool like Subtitle creator.
Old 6th September 2008, 18:08   #6098  |  Link
rica

Thanks, i wanted to keep it as 25fps sup.

Edit: I think it would be a good combination:

Export to 25p sup with SUPRead
Convert to srt with SupRip.

Last edited by rica; 6th September 2008 at 18:14.
Old 7th September 2008, 08:40   #6099  |  Link
Beastie Boy

Quote:
but don't want to actually *ever* make use of the embedded AC3 track, you can ask eac3to to use a really low bitrate to save space, e.g. "eac3to source dest.thd+ac3 -192".
This doesn't work for me. If I specify a bitrate, eac3to errors with 'This audio conversion is not supported'.
I have tried different bitrates, 384, 448, but none work.

eac3to input.thd output.thd+ac3 works fine. Also, the output from this is accepted by tsMuxeR as a TrueHD file and muxes successfully

Cheers, Beastie.
Old 7th September 2008, 10:47   #6100  |  Link
asarian

Quote:
Thank you!!

Can you please run "eac3to 1) 3: c:\video\devils.ac3 -logdts"? It seems that the DTS track is decoded by Sonic only as 5.1 although it's a 6.1 track (which results in that strange eac3to error you've seen). I'd like to know why it's only decoded as 5.1. My guess is that it's one of those rare DTS tracks with a slightly unusual format. The "-logdts" parameter should tell me that. Thanks!
Okay, I reran the thing again (adding -sonic, too). And this was the result:

+ DTS-Core
- frameSize 2012
- DTS-ES +
- channelNo 6
- lfe 1
- channelDescr 6.1
- samplingRate 48000
- bitDepth 24
- bitrate 1536000
- dialNorm 4
- extAudio XXCh
- samplesPerFrame 512
- copyHistory 1
+ DTS-HD
- fullSize 2040
- headerSize 28
- refClockCode 1/48000
- frameDurationCode 1
- activeMasks [1], [[1]]
+ Asset [0]
- fullSize 2012
- headerSize 10
- corePackets Core+XXCh
- extSubStrPackets XBR
- bitResolution 24
- maxSampleRate 48000
- totalNumChannels 7
- activeSpeakers C L R Ls Rs LFE Cs ($1f)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
M2TS, 1 video track, 4 audio tracks, 2 subtitle tracks, 1:50:54
1: Chapters, 15 chapters
2: MPEG2, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
3: DTS Hi-Res, English, 6.1 channels, 24 bits, 3093kbps, 48khz, dialnorm: -4dB
4: AC3, English, 5.1 channels, 640kbps, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
5: AC3, English, 2.0 channels, 192kbps, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
6: AC3, English, 2.0 channels, 192kbps, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
7: Subtitle (PGS), English
8: Subtitle (PGS), Spanish
[a03] AC3 encoding only supports 6 channels. Will mix the surround channels.
[a03] Extracting audio track number 3...
[a03] Removing DTS dialog normalization...
[a03] Decoding with DirectShow (Sonic Audio Decoder)...
[a03] DirectShow reports 5.1 channels, 24 bits, 48khz
[a03] Mixing surround channels...
[a03] The channel modder was started with incorrect parameters.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aborted at file position 21967306752.
Find sync word: 7ffe8001
Find sync extension: 3f
Frame #1: Core: 1006 words unpacked
Frame #2: Core: 1006 words unpacked
Frame #3: Core: 1006 words unpacked
Frame #4: Core: 1006 words unpacked
Find sync word: 7ffe8001
Find sync extension: 3f
Frame #1: Core: 903 , XXCh: 99 , XBR: 63 words unpacked

Tags