Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 16th August 2008, 14:31   #3781  |  Link
pjo

Aac5.1

Hello. I am a newbee on MPC Home Cinema.
I have an .m2ts with AAC5.1. When it is played the video is fine but the audio is just noise.
A file with AAC2ch is played ok.

Please advise what settings should be aspplied.
Or does MPC-HC support AAC5.1 with ffdshow ?
Or please advise how to set up ffdshow to play AAC5.1.

pjo
Old 16th August 2008, 16:35   #3782  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranpha View Post
I think you overestimate what UVD2/AVP2 can do. The only difference between UVD and UVD2 is that UVD2 can do dual streaming (picture-in-picture) and also full hardware acceleration for MPEG2 videos (UVD1 surprisingly do not do that). And UVD/UVD2 never do post-processing in ATI cards, that will be done by AVP 2.0 in pixel shaders. And AVP 2.0 only do hardware deinterlacing, pulldown detection, edge-enhancement and denoiser, no upscaling AFAIK. Anyway, upscaling by hardware can be done by the renderer.
I don't overestimate it. What i said is basically a copy-paste from the ATI UVD specification sheet. So what i said is all true.
You forgot that both ati and nvidia also does sharpening/softening.
The "upscaling" to HD is an official feature and is something completely different from regular "scaling".

-Upscaling = remastering the image to FullHD or higher resolution using various filters.

-scaling = resampling the pixels of the original image to look better on a larger resolution screen.

An upscaled image looks like HD, more detail is visable, colorspaces have been converted. ATI claims their hardware reaches near-hd-quality.
A Scaled image looks exactly like the original image, but less pixelated than it would have looked without scaling. The image has not been enhanced/digitally restored in any way.

Now i'm not saying this stuff actually helps at all. ATI could be talking out of its ass for all i know.

I do know that upscaling using the FFdshow+Avisynth scripts sometimes beats the official HD releases in image quality.
Old 16th August 2008, 16:45   #3783  |  Link
clsid

You are falling for another marketing stunt. Search the web and you will find some reviews were they tested this 'feature' by comparing an upscaled DVD with its Bluray version. Result: the upscaled image is nowhere near the same quality as the bluray version.
Old 16th August 2008, 16:55   #3784  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
You are falling for another marketing stunt. Search the web and you will find some reviews were they tested this 'feature' by comparing an upscaled DVD with its Bluray version. Result: the upscaled image is nowhere near the same quality as the bluray version.
So there are finally reviews in which they where actualy able to see a difference (the older reviews i read did not have the driver that enabled the feature yet)

Although i did it myself its pretty useless to compare a upscaled dvd to a bluray release. However the feature is VERY usefull, i don't know what it looks like in real life yet but i do know how ffdshow+avisynth look.

Here are some facts from my personal experience:

-The upscaled DVD always looks better than the original scaled DVD. It seems like there is more detail and the image resembles a bad bluray disk which is still a lot better than a good dvd. I know its mostly mindtricks its all psy-improvements.

-I have The lord of the rings special extended edition on DVD, i also have the fullhd version that i recorded from satelite.
The upscaled DVD looks way better than the fullhd-ts, the DVD scaled looks worse than both.

-Some upscaled DVD's look better than commercial Bluray's (upscaled superbit dvd version of the fifth element looks better than the original bluray version)
-Most bluray releases look better than upscaled dvd's(like the re-remaster re-release of the fifth element)

Most HD satelite/cable streams have been upscaled with expencive hardware, so have a lot of bluray and HDDVD releases. This hardware is a lot more capable than a realtime ffdshow+avisynth script.

A full HD remaster can never be beat no matter what you try. But upscaling will always be closer to that than doing nothing at all.

(What i'm trying to say is that not everyone has the bluray version of a partical piece of film, the upscaled version of the piece of film will almost always look better than doing nothing)
Old 16th August 2008, 19:45   #3785  |  Link
ranpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo55 View Post
The "upscaling" to HD is an official feature and is something completely different from regular "scaling".

-Upscaling = remastering the image to FullHD or higher resolution using various filters.

-scaling = resampling the pixels of the original image to look better on a larger resolution screen.

I do know that upscaling using the FFdshow+Avisynth scripts sometimes beats the official HD releases in image quality.
ATI AVIVO 2 (UVD 2 + AVP 2) did not have such feature, and AFAIK ATI never claim that they have advertised it. Such a good feature will be trumpeted all around if it exists.

And I do think upscaling is just the same as resizing (either bicubic/bilinear in renderers or via ffdshow).

And unless a Blu-ray movie attain a Tier 5 - Coal rating at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...85&postcount=1 upconverted DVD is not a match for the equivalent Blu-ray version.
Old 16th August 2008, 20:34   #3786  |  Link
Shinigami-Sama
Solaris: burnt by the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZeus View Post
everybody who has a slower PC should suffer, because you are part of a select group of users that has a CPU fast enough not to need DXVA?
P4 northwood HT @ 3ghz
pre PCI-E
plays 720p fine...
hardly anything I'd call fast
my singlecore laptop plays it even better too...

I'd just much rather see work get done on the stability side before stuff like dxva
Old 16th August 2008, 22:21   #3787  |  Link
arfster

1) UVD2 cards scale no differently than UVD1.

2) All scaling to a higher resolution is upscaling, by definition.

3) Upscaled DVDs, even maxxed bitrate superbit ones, will never look anywhere close to a decent Bluray.
Old 16th August 2008, 22:21   #3788  |  Link
Kado
Otaku

The DXVA will be around until someone makes a CUDA based video decoder, then all DXVA limitations will be gone, the decoding process will still be offloaded to the GPU while the CPU can do something else.
The purpose of DXVA was to help the cpu with the decoding and post-processing task optimizing the whole computer usage and now all decoding is done within the GPU. A similar thing happened with the transition from DX9.0c to DX10, the usage of systems with multi-core or multi cpu's and I could go on giving optimization examples.

Anyway some think DXVA is not needed while other want it, I want it. The only thing that bugs me in MPC HC is the issue with the internal subtitles renderer when buffering is set to zero and the memory usage after a bunch of videos have been opened (I have seen MPC HC use 1gb of ram while playing one 720p video), otherwise the player works great.
And my cpu can handle even 1080p videos (Pentium D 4GHz).
Old 17th August 2008, 00:16   #3789  |  Link
pjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjo View Post
Hello. I am a newbee on MPC Home Cinema.
I have an .m2ts with AAC5.1. When it is played the video is fine but the audio is just noise.
A file with AAC2ch is played ok.

Please advise what settings should be aspplied.
Or does MPC-HC support AAC5.1 with ffdshow ?
Or please advise how to set up ffdshow to play AAC5.1.

pjo
Please advise where this question should be posted.

pjo
Old 17th August 2008, 00:44   #3790  |  Link
saint-francis
too much lurking

Quote:
Please advise where this question should be posted.

pjo
There isn't really enough information there for anyone to properly answer you. So the AAC track is just noise. Does it play before it's muxed or is it noise then too? As far as anyone can tell from reading your post you might just have a bad audio track.
Old 17th August 2008, 01:17   #3791  |  Link
rica

If you have a reliable AAC decoder (i have no idea) then open MPC and under external filters select it and select merit value "prefer".
Edit: Don't forget to leave "aac" unticked under internal filters option.

Last edited by rica; 17th August 2008 at 01:46.
Old 17th August 2008, 01:19   #3792  |  Link
ghostonline

special effect sub + 1080p anime will cause video slow down on a 4Ghz 45nm quad with less than 50% utilization. dxva will drastically reduce the symptom. dxva give you a better play under certain conditon, even on a quad.

btw, load two same special effect subs on one 1080p anime will choke the very same quad without max out it.
Old 17th August 2008, 01:37   #3793  |  Link
pjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint-francis View Post
There isn't really enough information there for anyone to properly answer you. So the AAC track is just noise. Does it play before it's muxed or is it noise then too? As far as anyone can tell from reading your post you might just have a bad audio track.
VLC plays that AAC5.1 perfectly OK.
Old 17th August 2008, 01:55   #3794  |  Link
pjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rica View Post
If you have a reliable AAC decoder (i have no idea) then open MPC and under external filters select it and select merit value "prefer".
Edit: Don't forget to leave "aac" unticked under internal filters option.
rica, Thanks.
By changing the filter setting, now AAC5.1 is played ok.
AAC was not checked. But AAC 2 ch was played ok before.
I am wondering why.

pjo
Old 17th August 2008, 02:06   #3795  |  Link
rica

nVidia owners,

I've found the way of watching VC1 files with arcsoft video decoder on MPC-HC.

If your demuxer is haali, you can't get rid of DMO; so you have to uninstall haali first.

Set the merit of the arcsoft mpeg demux to 008000FF.

Untick "MPEG/PS/TS/PVA" and "Matroska" under "Source Filters" and "VC1 dxva", "VC1 ffdmpeg" under "Transform Filers" of intenal filters option,

Select "arcsoft video decoder" and "arcsoft audio decoder hd" and set their merits "prefer" under external filters option.

Enjoy.

Last edited by rica; 17th August 2008 at 10:45. Reason: SS added
Old 17th August 2008, 02:10   #3796  |  Link
rica

Quote:
rica, Thanks.
By changing the filter setting, now AAC5.1 is played ok.
AAC was not checked. But AAC 2 ch was played ok before.
I am wondering why.

pjo
I think MPC's internal filter was active before which creates 2 ch only.

Last edited by rica; 17th August 2008 at 02:22.
Old 17th August 2008, 06:33   #3797  |  Link
ooferomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rica View Post
nVidia owners,

I've found the way of watching VC1 files with arcsoft video decoder on MPC-HC.

If your demuxer is haali, you can't get rid of DMO; so you have to uninstall haali first.

Set the merit of the arcsoft mpeg demux to 008000FF.

Untick "MPEG/PS/TS/PVA" and "Matroska" under "Source Filters" and "VC1 dxva", "VC1 ffdmpeg" under "Transform Filers" of intenal filters option,

Select "arcsoft video decoder" and "arcsoft audio decoder hd" and set their merits "prefer" under external filters option.

Enjoy.

i can't get the arcsoft codecs to work in MPC, is it because i am using the trial version?
Old 17th August 2008, 10:09   #3798  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Hey,

There is something wrong with the latest builds. I cannot load sub files anymore with the VMR9 renderless :

DirectX: 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
input: AVI (xvid & mp3)

All is fine with the Haali's renderer. What's wrong ?
Old 17th August 2008, 10:19   #3799  |  Link
rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooferomen View Post
i can't get the arcsoft codecs to work in MPC, is it because i am using the trial version?
No, i don't think so; i was using the codecs of the trial before.
You must have been missing something.

Are you sure you made the arcsoft demux default (you can use Radlight); check opening any ts file on graphedit.
Old 17th August 2008, 11:27   #3800  |  Link
alexins
MPC-BE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtnoise13 View Post
Hey,

There is something wrong with the latest builds. I cannot load sub files anymore with the VMR9 renderless :

DirectX: 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
input: AVI (xvid & mp3)

All is fine with the Haali's renderer. What's wrong ?
Hi! Everything is reproduced well.

Try to make upgrade DirectX
Closed Thread

Tags
dxva, h264, home cinema, media player classic, mpc-hc