Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 26th July 2008, 14:27   #61  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman
 
Sharktooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Haddonfield, IL
Posts: 11,768
Presets updated. V56.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2008, 23:53   #62  |  Link
yesgrey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth View Post
Additional notes: If you dont know what preset to choose or you're uncertain, use ... or Unrestricted 2pass.

V56: Renamed Unrestricted 2pass -> Unrestricted 2pass HQ. New Unrestricted 2pass Balanced preset. More bframes tweaking.
So, I believe if we are uncertain we should use Unrestricted 2pass HQ, right? You forgot to edit the upper line...

One question: Could you give us, the uncertain ones, a measure of the quality/size difference of DXVA HD vs Unrestricted 2pass HQ? Is it only a question of hardware compatibility or does the Unrestricted mode justifies in quality the loss of hardware compatibility? If this question has an answer, I think it would be a good idea including it in the first post...

Last edited by yesgrey; 26th July 2008 at 23:58.
yesgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2008, 02:49   #63  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman
 
Sharktooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Haddonfield, IL
Posts: 11,768
right... if it's too slow use Unrestricted 2pass Balanced.
i edited the first post too to avoid confusion.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2008, 18:47   #64  |  Link
LOGiC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 121
@Sharktooth

I just went through some profiles and noticed, that i.e. Standalone-BluRay just has Keyframe interval 24 and Min GOP Size 1 while it should be 240/24. Is this something specific in context with the bluray structure or do I need to change this ? I am just running some re-encoding tests for it.
LOGiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 02:00   #65  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman
 
Sharktooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Haddonfield, IL
Posts: 11,768
as i said its not mandatory to set the GOP size and keyint that way. it's just recommended. however blu-ray preset was made that way for blu-ray compatibility.
leave it as it is.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 06:18   #66  |  Link
LOGiC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 121
@Sharktooth

Thanks for your answer. I know that these settings are not mandatary and that I could have changed them, but I left them as they are as you definately have more experience in those things. My first testclip was great with AVC-HD-Standalone, which almost has the same settings as bluray. For testing purposes, I switched Deblock Strength and Treshold to -1 on AVCHD, which I also liked at the test-encode. I have to admit, that I am almost fully satisfied with this stuff. Thanks for your help.
LOGiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2008, 13:34   #67  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman
 
Sharktooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Haddonfield, IL
Posts: 11,768
Presets updated: V57.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 02:26   #68  |  Link
Rumbah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 448
I just wanted to know if B-frames = 2 for the PSP profile is for speed reasons.
Because I always encode my PSP movies with B-frames = 3 and I never got a problem.
__________________
x264 full help - x264 --fullhelp r2345
Cuttermaran HCEnc provider - Support for HCEnc in Cuttermaran
DualDVDRB - Dual core support for DVD-RB free
Rumbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 02:27   #69  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman
 
Sharktooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Haddonfield, IL
Posts: 11,768
some settings were made for saving batteries.
frankly, i dont remember that one.
however, try encoding something with the PSP preset modifying b-frames from 2 to 3. if it works on the PSP i will update it.

Last edited by Sharktooth; 29th July 2008 at 02:30.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 06:28   #70  |  Link
turbojet
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,840
--nal-hrd along with the aforementioned --key-int 24 is another thing that's not required to get a bluray compatible output via TSMuxer, I've tested this at a local store with 5 bluray players. From what I recall these settings were manadatory to get scenarist accepting the stream, but I could be wrong. I've never used the program, way beyond my budget. The sginifigant thing, and the main reason I'm mentioning it, is both these settings hurt effeciency, a combined 10-15% larger with CRF on tests I've done.

I know sharktooth has said he doesn't want to mix the console and bluray profiles, which is understandable. But the PS3-Xbox360 presets with --vbv-bufsize 30000 --vbv-maxrate 30000 are much more optimal for compatible blurays from TSMuxer then the current ones. They also should play in xbox360 with this small change, if what I've read on the internet about xbox360 supporting up to 30 MB\s video bitrate at 1080p is true, but I cannot test this to be sure. It very well could be a more 'one size fits all' profile, and the current bluray profiles could be named scenarist bluray or something to give the user a much more optimized bluray via tsmuxer profile, but very well could get a little confusing with 2 bluray type profiles. What do you think?

On the other hand megui doesn't output blurays so many users may just opt to use a program that does. I've noticed bluray output via tsmuxer in the feature requests on sourceforge for the past few months but no replies from developers on the matter.

PS: unforutnately --trellis 1 seems to be all but meaningless now with psyRDO builds. Without anyone compiling and posting psyRDO builds that support trellis 1 Is there any reason to still use it in the profiles?
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 11:40   #71  |  Link
Rumbah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth View Post
some settings were made for saving batteries.
frankly, i dont remember that one.
however, try encoding something with the PSP preset modifying b-frames from 2 to 3. if it works on the PSP i will update it.
I did at least 20 encodes with the profile and b-frames set to 3 and I got no problem at all. I did at least as much with 3 b-frames and RDO level 2 and trellis set to 2 but of course that's slower on the encoding side .
__________________
x264 full help - x264 --fullhelp r2345
Cuttermaran HCEnc provider - Support for HCEnc in Cuttermaran
DualDVDRB - Dual core support for DVD-RB free
Rumbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 12:31   #72  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman
 
Sharktooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Haddonfield, IL
Posts: 11,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
--nal-hrd along with the aforementioned --key-int 24 is another thing that's not required to get a bluray compatible output via TSMuxer, I've tested this at a local store with 5 bluray players. From what I recall these settings were manadatory to get scenarist accepting the stream, but I could be wrong. I've never used the program, way beyond my budget. The sginifigant thing, and the main reason I'm mentioning it, is both these settings hurt effeciency, a combined 10-15% larger with CRF on tests I've done.

I know sharktooth has said he doesn't want to mix the console and bluray profiles, which is understandable. But the PS3-Xbox360 presets with --vbv-bufsize 30000 --vbv-maxrate 30000 are much more optimal for compatible blurays from TSMuxer then the current ones. They also should play in xbox360 with this small change, if what I've read on the internet about xbox360 supporting up to 30 MB\s video bitrate at 1080p is true, but I cannot test this to be sure. It very well could be a more 'one size fits all' profile, and the current bluray profiles could be named scenarist bluray or something to give the user a much more optimized bluray via tsmuxer profile, but very well could get a little confusing with 2 bluray type profiles. What do you think?

On the other hand megui doesn't output blurays so many users may just opt to use a program that does. I've noticed bluray output via tsmuxer in the feature requests on sourceforge for the past few months but no replies from developers on the matter.

PS: unforutnately --trellis 1 seems to be all but meaningless now with psyRDO builds. Without anyone compiling and posting psyRDO builds that support trellis 1 Is there any reason to still use it in the profiles?
dont consider TSmuxer.
megui should be able to output blu-ray compatible streams and streams compatible with all blu-ray authoring sotwares or i will delete all blu-ray presets.
also you're not supposed to use CRF with blu-ray. if you want CRF use another preset.
TSMuxer will be added in the the future. we have no time to reply to all requests.
since psy-rdo is default on (for RDO modes), Trellis 1 is useless if psy-rdo is enabled (when subme >= 6) but it works for subme < 6.
you can still use Trellis 1 with subme 6 and 7 but you have to disable psy-rdo.

Last edited by Sharktooth; 29th July 2008 at 13:09.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 13:02   #73  |  Link
~bT~
н∂-αиαтι
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bedfordshire, UK
Posts: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth View Post
Trellis 1 is useless if psy-rdo is disabled (when subme < 6).
isnt it the opposite?

when psy-rdo is enabled, trellis should be 0 or 2?
~bT~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 13:06   #74  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman
 
Sharktooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Haddonfield, IL
Posts: 11,768
yes. fixed.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 18:08   #75  |  Link
JarrettH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 815
Unrestricted Level, Constant Quality HQ looks very good to me. It's very close in resemblance to the original. I think I'll start using that now instead of targeting bitrates with two-pass.
There Will Be Blood [150min] with AC3 5.1 audio came to 2.25gb and Lost Highway [135min] (scaaaaryyyy) came to 1.27gb with AC3 5.1 audio

Last edited by JarrettH; 29th July 2008 at 18:11.
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 19:19   #76  |  Link
Deinorius
Najarenthur
 
Deinorius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Austria (Vienna)
Posts: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth View Post
some settings were made for saving batteries.
frankly, i dont remember that one.
however, try encoding something with the PSP preset modifying b-frames from 2 to 3. if it works on the PSP i will update it.
Why not use two settings for PSP?
Or least test, if B-Frames 3 eats too much Battery time?
Deinorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 22:05   #77  |  Link
turbojet
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,840
I can understand your point about must work in all bluray authoring tools, but like I said I could be completely wrong about scenarist. Would need someone with the program to confirm one way or the other. But all in all maybe it's best to wait for tsmuxer capability before really optimizing a preset for it.

I realize multi pass mode is the way to go for bluray, so let me rephrase it in the least confusing way I can think of. nal-hrd key-int 24 combined raise the average quants on a muti-pass encode by 0.5-8 relative to the quant range in use, such as size of 17 vs 18 is alot larger than size between 35 vs 36. In almost every case I can tell a visual difference.

subme => 6 and trellis 1 are in a few presets, and psyrdo isn't disabled which is why I mentioned it. Not that it technically really matters as it just kicks it back to trellis 0. Me saying trellis 1 being meaningless is more my frustration about it once being a very good option for me (higher PSNR/SSIM at often lower bitrates vs default deadzones and noticably sharper in every one of the CRF tests I've done, a few others share the same experiences) now its not an option at all due to one persons opinion. But that's a whole other matter and not for this thread. Let me rephrase it by saying trellis 1 is now meaningless for me as I see enough of an effeciency improvement of B-RDO to justify the very little slowdown.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2008, 00:52   #78  |  Link
nurbs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojet View Post
Me saying trellis 1 being meaningless is more my frustration about it once being a very good option for me (higher PSNR/SSIM at often lower bitrates vs default deadzones and noticably sharper in every one of the CRF tests I've done, a few others share the same experiences) now its not an option at all due to one persons opinion.
IIRC there is a commandline switch that disables psy-rdo and uses the conventional rdo again. If you use that you can use trellis 1.
nurbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2008, 01:32   #79  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman
 
Sharktooth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Haddonfield, IL
Posts: 11,768
@turbojet: Psy-RDO is really much better than trelllis 1, higher PSNR/SSIM doesnt mean more quality. also you can use Trellis 1 for all non RDO modes (subme < 6) and you can even disable psy-rdo using --psy-rd 0 in custom commanldine options (like i did for anime presets) so you can use trellis 1 even for RDO modes (subme >= 6).
I really cant see any problems.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2008, 12:34   #80  |  Link
Killerattacks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 29
I'm a total beginner regarding encoding, but iirc I read somewhere that when you're encoding anime and want high quality results, the x264 option "No fast P-skips" should be enabled (and 2-pass encoding and a high bitrate of course).
Now my question: If I want to encode anime for the ps3 using megui+x264+ the ps3&xbox360 profile this option is _not_ checked. Would using it make the resulting encode unplayable on those consoles?
Killerattacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
megui, x264 presets

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.