Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2008, 01:26   #4881  |  Link
BLKMGK

Yup exactly, it's encoding now so no worries. When I tried to do the second video on the disk I got a TON of overlap errors and the result, after the second pass, wouldn't play. <shrug> It's just the director's extras stuff and consisted of like 10 different files of wildly differing sizes. First I've had like that - it was a mess! Was all of 40mins long too (lol)
Old 21st May 2008, 03:58   #4882  |  Link
Yraen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKMGK View Post
Weird error on National Treasure 2 ->

Code:
This doesn't seem to be a valid DTS file.
Appears to be decoding correctly right now, will report back if I see anything else odd. Is a 2hour movie so it will take me awhile to compress but thought I'd warn folks. <shrug>
Funny thing is, here it doesn't show a DTS track for that movie. Does the box say anything about a DTS track?
Old 21st May 2008, 05:54   #4883  |  Link
boykster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yraen View Post
Funny thing is, here it doesn't show a DTS track for that movie. Does the box say anything about a DTS track?
Same with Untraceable - no DTS track listed on the box, or in any review I could find.

<shrug>

Last edited by boykster; 21st May 2008 at 05:57.
Old 21st May 2008, 08:57   #4884  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
I have a problem converting chcken little blu-ray to mkv. I get glitches in the 10 first seconds of the video. After that everything is fine.
Can you reproduce the glitches with the sample? I'm asking because I can't. The sample you provided converts to MKV for me just fine - and plays perfectly with both CoreAVC and Cyberlink (Haali Media Splitter).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestraw View Post
You're probably right - he seems to know EVERYTHING
I wish that was true!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKMGK View Post
Weird error on National Treasure 2 ->

Code:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boykster View Post
I saw something similar when I processed Untraceable

Code:
Could I have a short sample (20MB should be plenty) of either National Treasure 2 or Untraceable (or both)? Thanks!
Old 21st May 2008, 11:09   #4885  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Can you reproduce the glitches with the sample? I'm asking because I can't. The sample you provided converts to MKV for me just fine - and plays perfectly with both CoreAVC and Cyberlink (Haali Media Splitter).
Yes, i can reproduced the problem with the sample, but it plays fine with Cyberlink decoder (which i didn't test ). So, it's a decoder issue. I'll post to ffdshow thread, but i think they can't do anything (since mpc's internal decoder behaves the same, which means it's an ffmpeg problem).

Anyway, thanks for your time man!

Last edited by nautilus7; 21st May 2008 at 11:11.
Old 21st May 2008, 13:09   #4886  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
Yes, i can reproduced the problem with the sample, but it plays fine with Cyberlink decoder (which i didn't test ). So, it's a decoder issue. I'll post to ffdshow thread, but i think they can't do anything (since mpc's internal decoder behaves the same, which means it's an ffmpeg problem).
Two questions:

(1) Have you tested CoreAVC? Testing with Cyberlink is not a proof yet, since there have been cases where Cyberlink gracefully played bad MKV muxes (created by mkvtoolnix) while CoreAVC showed artifacts. So a good test is always to try both Cyberlink and CoreAVC. If both show a perfect artifact free image, usually the mux should be fine.
(2) Does the problem also occur with the original m2ts file? If yes, that would be the proof that the decoder is at fault and not the MKV remux.
Old 21st May 2008, 14:05   #4887  |  Link
nautilus7

1. CoreAVC decoded the sample fine.

2. Can't play the m2ts file in mpc (i can't play any .m2ts file in mpc - don't know why, they just load but nothing happens), but it plays fine in powerdvd and nero showtime.
Old 21st May 2008, 16:47   #4888  |  Link
richard99uk

Sorry if this is a basic question. I'm not new to transcoding, but I've never tried to transcode TrueHD before.

I'm having some trouble converting an HD DVD file so I can play it back on my PS3.
  • eac3to v2.46
    command line: "C:\Users\me\Desktop\New Folder\eac3to.exe" "C:\appleseed\L0_Main_MERGED.rebuilt.EVO" "C:\appleseed\L0_Main_MERGED.rebuilt.ac3"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EVO, 2 video tracks, 3 audio tracks, 2 subtitle tracks, 0:35:14
    1: h264/AVC, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9) with pulldown flags
    2: h264/AVC, 480i60 /1.001 (15:11), -17ms
    3: TrueHD, 5.1 channels, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB, -83ms
    4: E-AC3, 5.1 channels, 1023kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB, -83ms
    5: E-AC3, 2.0 channels, 384kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -28dB, -83ms
    6: Subtitle
    7: Subtitle
    Track 3 is used for destination file "L0_Main_MERGED.rebuilt.ac3".
    [a03] Extracting audio track number 3...
    [a03] Removing dialog normalization...
    [a03] Applying RAW/PCM delay...
    [a03] Encoding AC3...
    [a03] Creating file "C:\appleseed\L0_Main_MERGED.rebuilt.ac3"...
    [libav] No restart header present in substream 0.
    [a03] The libav decoder reported an error while decoding.
    Aborted at file position 12588384256.

I'm trying to decode track 3 -- the others are alternate language and director's commentary. I've tried ripping just track 3 to an .evo file, but the error is the same.

I've read that I can decode TrueHD audio if I have Nero 7 and the HD/ Blu Ray plugin, but as far as I know, Nero 7 isn't sold any more.

I also have the movie on regular DVD, which has the normal ac3 track, but the problem is that the HD video and the DVD-ripped audio don't play in sync together.

I'm not sure of what I can do to get these files to play together in sync, so I would be really grateful for any help on how I can get around this problem (regardless of if it's TrueHD, ac3 or not).

Thanks. Any help is really appreciated!

Last edited by richard99uk; 21st May 2008 at 16:49.
Old 23rd May 2008, 03:25   #4889  |  Link
Yraen

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard99uk View Post
Sorry if this is a basic question. I'm not new to transcoding, but I've never tried to transcode TrueHD before.

I'm having some trouble converting an HD DVD file so I can play it back on my PS3.
  • eac3to v2.46
    command line: "C:\Users\me\Desktop\New Folder\eac3to.exe" "C:\appleseed\L0_Main_MERGED.rebuilt.EVO" "C:\appleseed\L0_Main_MERGED.rebuilt.ac3"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried using eac3to on the source .evos instead of a rebuilt one? You might try that and then report any error you get (if any).

Quote:
Could I have a short sample (20MB should be plenty) of either National Treasure 2 or Untraceable (or both)? Thanks!
National Treasure 2 sample
Old 23rd May 2008, 04:12   #4890  |  Link
BLKMGK

Yraen, did you also see the error? Thank you for doing the sample, I only just now saw that it was requested!
Old 23rd May 2008, 09:55   #4891  |  Link
Yraen

The error is there, even in that small of a sample.
Old 23rd May 2008, 10:32   #4892  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Thanks for the National Treasure 2 sample. I can confirm that there is a DTS track in the movie - it's the audio track of the PiP content. And that DTS track is really strange. It doesn't contain any conventional DTS elements. I mean there's no core. There are only DTS-HD packets in the stream. eac3to doesn't know what to do with that kind of track, that's why you see the complaint in the log. You don't need to worry, this is really only the PiP audio.

Have you guys noticed that this is one of the first Blu-Rays with a *TRUE* PiP video/audio stream in it? As you can see in the eac3to log, a secondary h264 video stream is detected. That's the first Blu-Ray I've seen with a 2ndary video track!
Old 23rd May 2008, 10:41   #4893  |  Link
Geleodor

as far as I know DTS-Express is used in PiP, not DTS-HD...
Old 23rd May 2008, 12:38   #4894  |  Link
saint-francis
too much lurking

Quote:
Have you guys noticed that this is one of the first Blu-Rays with a *TRUE* PiP video/audio stream in it? As you can see in the eac3to log, a secondary h264 video stream is detected. That's the first Blu-Ray I've seen with a 2ndary video track!
What do you mean by "true"? The Golden Compass has a second video track which is PiP. Is it the same thing?
Old 23rd May 2008, 13:08   #4895  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geleodor View Post
as far as I know DTS-Express is used in PiP, not DTS-HD...
Never heard of "DTS-Express" yet. What I can say is that the data packages in the PiP audio stream have the same "signature" (first for bytes) for each audio block as the additional DTS-HD audio packages in a DTS-HD stream have. Is there a DTS-Express specification available somewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint-francis View Post
What do you mean by "true"? The Golden Compass has a second video track which is PiP. Is it the same thing?
Yeah, that should be the same. It seems that PiP is beginning to be spread for Blu-Ray now.
Old 23rd May 2008, 14:24   #4896  |  Link
richard99uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yraen View Post
Have you tried using eac3to on the source .evos instead of a rebuilt one? You might try that and then report any error you get (if any).
Thanks Yraen. By 'the source .evos', do you mean the streams ripped off the HD DVD (by AnyDVD) or do you mean I should copy the contents of the disc on to the hard disk?

Also, the original is actually two files -- that's why I rebuilt it instead of using eac3to directly on the file. Are there any extra commands I need to tell eac3 to move on to the second file automatically?

Thanks again for your help!
Old 23rd May 2008, 15:18   #4897  |  Link
Beastie Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard99uk View Post
Are there any extra commands I need to tell eac3 to move on to the second file automatically?
See the first post of this thread for examples, or check out Yraen's GUI in the eac3to_and_more_gui thread. It's easier than you think
Old 23rd May 2008, 17:01   #4898  |  Link
EPiPH0NE
b4k3d

Is there .mpls support planned or I am doing something wrong?
Old 23rd May 2008, 17:21   #4899  |  Link
Beastie Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPiPH0NE View Post
Is there .mpls support planned or I am doing something wrong?
mpls support is there is is tranparrent. Point eac3to to the folder containing all the BluRay files and it will list all the titles, with info showing which m2ts files are joined, and the streams they contain.

Using eac3to_and_more_gui makes it easy using the 'Add Folder' button.

Cheers, Beastie.
Old 23rd May 2008, 18:25   #4900  |  Link
EPiPH0NE
b4k3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie Boy View Post
mpls support is there is is tranparrent. Point eac3to to the folder containing all the BluRay files and it will list all the titles, with info showing which m2ts files are joined, and the streams they contain.

Using eac3to_and_more_gui makes it easy using the 'Add Folder' button.

Cheers, Beastie.
I usually use Eac3to_and_More_GUI, I was just trying to add the MPLS file by itself. I'll give your way a try...thanks
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to