Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 27th February 2008, 00:54   #1121  |  Link
Audioboxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatre View Post
i think 3rlc didn't recommend adding diff version of tsMuxer into mkv2vob though yourself. I'm pretty sure he recommended waiting until he tests it and implements it with a new version of mkv2vob.
Yeah I do wait on the update, im just saying a new version is out.

It also seems like 1.3.5/1.3.6 fix a fair number of bugs in regards to muxing, so it will help MKV2VOB im sure.
Audioboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 04:02   #1122  |  Link
Quatre

ps3 wont see my video files via TVersity that use a .m2ts ur .mts extension. anyone else have this? i know there is slight newer version of TVersity so i dont know if that now allows .m2ts and .mts.

I just change it back to .vob and the ps3 sees it via TVersity as an mpeg but then when i copy it to the ps3 hdd, it labels it properly as an AVC.

I was hoping to name AVC files .m2ts or .mts and mpeg-2 as .mpg.

i think for all .vob it says mpg for file type but for video codec still shows it as AVC and labels it as AVC so i guess next to file type under info of the file is just whatever the extension is.

I dont really like .vob as it reminds of sd DVD files, i dont really like mp4 as it reminds me of small psp files (though ps3 demo vids etc are mp4 also) so i'd prefer to use .mpg for mpeg-2's and .m2ts for AVC files but again maybe its a TVersity thing that it wont see .m2ts or .mts so i'll have to try the updated version or a diff streaming program.

what media server/streaming program is everyone using to play video on their ps3 and/or copy it to the ps3 hdd? (when not using fat32 ext. usb hdd for files below 4gb)
Quatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 04:13   #1123  |  Link
3r1c

V2.0.5 26/Feb/2008
Updated tsmuxer to 1.3.6
Fixed Overscan Compensation not working.
Fixed SRT files not in UTF-8 special characters replaced with underscore.
Fixed Greek character encoding for subtitles.
3r1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 05:57   #1124  |  Link
Quatre

I have a question with what options to select in mkv2vob to get english subs on this chinese audio language movie.

"Audio: DTS 5.1 1536 Kbit/s, Cantonese
Audio: AC3 5.1 640 Kbit/s, Mandarin
Subtitles: English SRT"

I have preferred audio language set to English, so which will it pick for this movie? I'd like to select the Mandarin I guess cus it is AC3 and will be quicker for mkv2vob then the Cantonese DTS.

not sure which it would pick if i have english but i guess i can pick Mandarin as my preferred audio language to ensure it chose that audio track since its AC3? instead of the Mandarin DTS audio track.

then just put english as preferred subtitle language. and asyou can see it says SRT for the english subs but its not a sep file. So I dont need to check load subtitles from srt?

and what about the always encode subtitles option? thats more for forcing english subs over english audio track right?
Old 27th February 2008, 06:02   #1125  |  Link
3r1c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatre View Post
I have a question with what options to select in mkv2vob to get english subs on this chinese audio language movie.

"Audio: DTS 5.1 1536 Kbit/s, Cantonese
Audio: AC3 5.1 640 Kbit/s, Mandarin
Subtitles: English SRT"

I have preferred audio language set to English, so which will it pick for this movie? I'd like to select the Mandarin I guess cus it is AC3 and will be quicker for mkv2vob then the Cantonese DTS.

not sure which it would pick if i have english but i guess i can pick Mandarin as my preferred audio language to ensure it chose that audio track since its AC3? instead of the Mandarin DTS audio track.

then just put english as preferred subtitle language. and asyou can see it says SRT for the english subs but its not a sep file. So I dont need to check load subtitles from srt?

and what about the always encode subtitles option? thats more for forcing english subs over english audio track right?
Is Mandarin the full name of the language? its not specified in ISO 639-2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-2_codes)

Use mediainfo to find out the actual name of the language.
Select that language as the preferred audio.
Set english to preferred subtitle.
Leave transcode on automatic.

Last edited by 3r1c; 27th February 2008 at 06:04.
Old 27th February 2008, 06:35   #1126  |  Link
Quatre

Cantonese and Mandarin are both a type of chinese, are they not selectable in mkv2vob? i just want to use the 2nd audio track (audio #1) as its AC3 otherwise if it uses audio #0 by default it will have to transcode that audio track cus its dts. i dont care about the language. maybe if mkv2vob would let you choose, use audio track 1 or 2 (audio #0 or #1) that way in this case when there is 2 and one is dts and the other isn't you could choose the non dts audio track so as to save mkv2vob some time.

Audio #0
Codec : DTS
Bit rate : 1536 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, Subwoofer
Sampling rate : 48 KHz
Resolution : 24 bits
Title : Cantonese
Language : Chinese

Audio #1
Codec : AC3
Bit rate mode : CBR
Bit rate : 640 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Rear: L R, Subwoofer
Sampling rate : 48 KHz
Title : Mandarin
Language : Chinese

Last edited by Quatre; 27th February 2008 at 06:38.
Old 27th February 2008, 06:44   #1127  |  Link
Quatre

hm so this actually turns out to be a good question it looks like.

mkv2vob only lets you select Chinese, there is no distinction between Mandarin and Cantonese so if i just choose Chinese as the audio language it will prob use the first one which is DTS and what i dont want to use.

I guess having the ability to select the language is useful if ppl dont know what language audio tracks their file has but even if it doesnt' have a .nfo, you can use mediainfo or similiar to see and overall especially in this case it would be easier to be able to select either
Audio #0
or
Auidio #1

in this case picking the second audio track Audio #1 would save a lot of time cus its not dts like the first one and its all the same chinese to me. But looks like no way to do that. If i leave preferrred audio language as english its prob going to use that first dts audio track and same if i select Chinese.
Old 27th February 2008, 06:52   #1128  |  Link
Quatre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3r1c View Post
Is Mandarin the full name of the language? its not specified in ISO 639-2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_639-2_codes)

Use mediainfo to find out the actual name of the language.
Select that language as the preferred audio.
Set english to preferred subtitle.
Leave transcode on automatic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_language
talks about the diff dialects of Chinese including what looks like the main 2 being Mandarin and Cantonese.

bottom line is if i select Chinese as preferred audio language (or leave as english) its going to pick the first audio track which is dts instead of the second which is ac3 and what i want. I guess this is the perfect example where picking by language wont help and we need an additional option to pick the first audio track or 2nd i guess.

guess i'll have to deal with the dts cus right now there is no way to tell mkv2vob to use the second audio track which is ac3

Last edited by Quatre; 27th February 2008 at 07:19.
Old 27th February 2008, 07:26   #1129  |  Link
3r1c

mkv2vob uses the ISO-639-2 language codes the same as the mkv format for which there is only one code for chineese.

In your example the words mandarin/cantonese are set as "title".
These are just human readable titles or comments which could be set to anything.

You have 2 choices.
Let mkv2vob transcode the dts or make a new mkv in mkvmerge and remove the dts track.
Old 27th February 2008, 07:30   #1130  |  Link
Quatre

heh ok thanks, i'll just let mkv2vob transcode the dts. :/

but... progs like dvd shrink do let you remove any and all audio choices and a similar thing in mkv2vob would do nothing but improve it. again, maybe instead of or in addition to picking by language, rather have it let you pick by audio codec (use AC3 if available instead of dts) or pick which audio track (#0 or #1).

This was just the first file i came across where i needed to select an audio track and add the subs, maybe its the only one that would be a problem, but there could be other languages with diff dialects where there are multiple audio tracks each with a diff dialect of the same language and just only being able to select that language will always just default to the first one just as leaving it as english would and the first one will often be DTS which we dont want for ps3 use.

Last edited by Quatre; 27th February 2008 at 07:49.
Old 27th February 2008, 09:57   #1131  |  Link
Stathis

Quote:
V2.0.5 26/Feb/2008
Updated tsmuxer to 1.3.6
Fixed Overscan Compensation not working.
Fixed SRT files not in UTF-8 special characters replaced with underscore.
Fixed Greek character encoding for subtitles.
Thanks!!! I think you should be the controller for the PS3 firmware upgrade!
Stathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 10:49   #1132  |  Link
chubsta

I have downloaded the latest version and when i try to install it throws up the error:
mkv2vob.exe is not a valid win32 application'

previous versions have worked fine...
chubsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 11:36   #1133  |  Link
chubsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubsta View Post
I have downloaded the latest version and when i try to install it throws up the error:
mkv2vob.exe is not a valid win32 application'

previous versions have worked fine...
NM - redownloaded it again and it worked fine!
chubsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 13:18   #1134  |  Link
asif9t9

Here's a cheesy request for you. Is it easy to make it so you can re-size the window of the program? My desktop is set at 1360x768, but with my DPI increased. My tv is my monitor.

mkv2vob fits on the screen vertically, but just barely. The reason I never even bothered with PS3 Video 9 is that it wouldn't fit on my screen. I could never see the options to choose at the bottom.
asif9t9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 13:50   #1135  |  Link
carbonkid

I've used 1360*768 on a 32" TV and I hadn't any need to increase the DPI, unless you see very bad you should'nt use it.
carbonkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 14:09   #1136  |  Link
skyham

Quote:
well error 52 means file not found.
exactly what point to do you get this?
are you sure your temp/dest/source file and folder is set right?
I browse to the source and pick the .mkv file. I set the destination via browsing for the directory as well. I then click the Add File button to on the right side of the screen. The name of the .mkv appears in the larger box below along with the destinatio directory, automatic transcode and the next slot says processing. Within a second or so the error code 52 box appears. When I hit the OK button on the error box the program closes down. I have tried different source files and different temp directories to no avail. I have looked at the config screen a few times and all appears correct.

Started the program today and it grabbed the latest update. Changed the temp directory to a newly created directory and now the program appears to be working - it says it is transcoding one now which before it just muxed, but that is a separate issue. Seems it wasn't happy with having the temp directory the same as the output directory.

Last edited by skyham; 27th February 2008 at 22:24. Reason: Fixed
skyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 14:46   #1137  |  Link
carbonkid

3r1c : Is there any way to change encoding options such as the Average bit rate or something? I'm asking this because when converting some file, I notice that in some part of the movies there are some blocking that don't exists on the source. I don't mind have a big converted file, since it's only for watching and then delete (i stay only with the source).
Old 27th February 2008, 15:45   #1138  |  Link
s3e3

Thanks!

3r1c, this is a fantastic app. Thanks for the hard work and excellent coding.

I sent you a donation last week. Keep up the good work.

Cheers.
s3e3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 16:39   #1139  |  Link
Aamchi

Great new GUI! One useful feature would be if you could choose a different name for the output file. This was possible in Version 1
Aamchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2008, 16:40   #1140  |  Link
carbonkid

small note to 3r1c : There are some caracthers that still not appear correct, but they are way less than before. for now I only found this one É wich is presented with an upside-down ?