Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 12th February 2008, 15:19   #3161  |  Link
haruhiko_yamagata

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastplayer View Post
Nope, just an independent listing of the whitelist regkey.
It works for me .
Quote:
So the question is: Who do we aim at with the current installer? The regular Joe Sixpack or the A/V enthusiast?
I think ffdshow is mainly for A/V enthusiast.
Why do the "normal users" use ffdshow rather than VLC?
Just because they find ffdshow in first or do they have some reason?
Of course both users are welcome, but the latter is more targeted.

Another choice is to disable the whitelist by default. Then we don't have to show the pages in the installer.
Old 12th February 2008, 15:28   #3162  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko_yamagata View Post
I must admit I'd use VLC player more if it had a more responsive "pause" button... and a "step" button?
Old 12th February 2008, 15:33   #3163  |  Link
fastplayer

Quote:
It works for me .
If I make changes in the audio compat. page, then they get ignored.
If I change EXEs in the video compat. page, then they end up correctly in the whitelist regkey.

Quote:
I think ffdshow is mainly for A/V enthusiast.
Hmm, the applications that get reported by the minute tell me a different picture. I see more entertainment-related applications reported than professional A/V apps.

Quote:
- People know ffdshow as a "codec pack",
- and they know it as one of the good-behaving ones.
- They get it recommend from A/V enthusiasts
- People like WMP but they know it lacks some codecs...

Quote:
Of course both users are welcome, but the latter is more targeted.
Personally, I like ffdshow setup how it is now. It gives me the option to configure the most important stuff right during setup.
But I still think that we should target a broader base than just a niche group - meaning us

Quote:
Another choice is to disable the whitelist by default. Then we don't have to show the pages in the installer.
I like clsid's idea mentioned above. I'd just change the wording:
Code:
[ ] Restrict usage of ffdshow to known, compatible applications
 |--[ ]Show prompt for applications that are unknown to ffdshow

Last edited by fastplayer; 12th February 2008 at 15:53.
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 17:22   #3164  |  Link
Keepitsimple

I think the reason many prefer ffdshow over vlc is better spdif support. The shaders available are also better.
Keepitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 18:30   #3165  |  Link
umaximus

Im having problem with ffdshow clsid ver.1846 with mpeg2 of Lost cap. ffdshow is dropping a huge amount of frames in MPC, while Cyberlink Video/SP Decoder (PDVD7) is playing it without a single droped frame. Video is MPEG2.ts (~40mbit bitrate), and i did try with libavcodec & libmpeg2 under codecs in ffdshow, no difference.
Im having a lot of CPU power (Q6600@3.6Ghz), and cpu usage is arround 10% while playing this, so this is not a problem.

Here is the sample --> http://rapidshare.com/files/91239085/lost40mbit.ts.html
umaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 20:08   #3166  |  Link
fastplayer

No frame drops with any combination of MPC (6.4.9.1, rev36) and ffdshow (rev1852).
Old 13th February 2008, 00:11   #3167  |  Link
umaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastplayer View Post
No frame drops with any combination of MPC (6.4.9.1, rev36) and ffdshow (rev1852).
I did upgrade both, but I still get droped frames on this. I didnt experience any problems with all other movies/shows.

Have you tried the sample that i posted?

Also, Im playing this of raid5 partiotion, with read speeds ~400mbit, so hdd is not the issue here either.

Last edited by umaximus; 13th February 2008 at 00:15.
Old 13th February 2008, 00:20   #3168  |  Link
fastplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by umaximus View Post
Have you tried the sample that i posted?
What would've been the point of my previous reply if I didn't try it?

What TS-splitter are you using? I'm using MPC's internal one and - again - no problems with playback. It surprises me a bit that my A64 3500 has no trouble keeping up considering it's 720p @ 60fps...
Old 13th February 2008, 00:27   #3169  |  Link
umaximus

Sorry, I understand that you have no problems with playing back your own files.

Im using Haali ver 1.7.401.3. I did try with System Default and there is no droped frames, but I prefer using Haali.
This is the first file that is cousing problems with dropped frames.
I can normaly play back more 'demanding' h264, vc1 files with no hickup. Any ideas why this hapens here?
Old 13th February 2008, 00:39   #3170  |  Link
fastplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by umaximus View Post
Any ideas why this hapens here?
No idea. Haven't had any trouble so far with the internal splitter, so I never bothered using other ones.
I'd report the issue to Haali in the Media Splitter thread:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=80762
Old 13th February 2008, 00:58   #3171  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

didnt try the sample, but is it 720p @ 60fps? if yes, then its a know haali splitter/renderer (splitter? renderer? one of those i guess) problem, afaik I also reported that somewhere in the haali thread, but no solution has come up so far. the only thing you can do atm is choosing another renderer for playback, try vmr9 or overlay.
Thunderbolt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 02:39   #3172  |  Link
umaximus

Yea, it is 720p/60fps. I did try some other files that i have with 60fps and same story -droped frames with ffdshow/haali splitter.

It must be something in connection between those two, coz if i choose PDVD decoder with haali splitter everything works as it should.

Thanks for clearing this out!
Old 13th February 2008, 14:33   #3173  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
1) Because I can use my favorite player with my favorite UI instead ugly VLC
2) Because I can play proprietary formats (VP7, RealVideo) in same player (using DirectShow filters)
3) Because I can use ffdhow for some post-processing and image tweaks even if I use third-party decoder
dimzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 23:53   #3174  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

despite that spatial thing and interlaced support have been added for H264 decoding, I still have trouble with some movies, in which rainbow frames or something like that occur from time to time. these are mainly remuxes from HD DVDs or blu-rays to .mkv and those problems occur (at least in this case here, will have to check up on the others a later time again) not only with ffdshow, but also with coreavc and vlc.

I dont know whether this problem is still caused by something which is unsupported yet or if the remuxing process of mkvmerge causes these problems. I uploaded a sample of this remux, I tried to cut a sample from the original .m2ts file, but apparently I always hit an open GOP or something like that and when I muxed it it looked worse than now, with green stuff in it and such.
would be nice if someone could have a look at that, thanks!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/q3rvfp
Old 14th February 2008, 00:20   #3175  |  Link
nurbs

Since my HD-DVD/Blu-Ray drive should be here any day I have one question.

Is the VC1 decoder in ffdshow any good or is it more adviseable to use a decoder from an other source?
nurbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 03:56   #3176  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

I'm having some trouble with the VFW plugin.

1) It won't decode MJPG files created with older versions of ffdshow.

2) MJPG and HFYU are not supported at all in by the encoder. At least, they're not in the dropdown list.

Are these known issues? I can provide a sample clip for the 1st one if necessary.
Richard Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 15:09   #3177  |  Link
taklubaba

"Works fine for me. Are you able to visit the url with your browser?"

I am using a firefox 2.0.0.4 version browser.
I can visit the svn url with the browser and also see the contents of the files in the folder.

I have installed the TortoiseSVN. I then right click on a folder and select SVN Checkout.
I enter the url of the repository as http://ffdshow-tryout.svn.sourceforg...w-tryout/trunk
and the Checkout Directory as the folder on which I had right clicked to select SVN Checkout.

But I get a failed request on /svnroot/ffdshow-tryout/trunk.

Do I need to install any other software to work with TortoiseSVN? Or do I need to change some settings?

The system administrator of my company faced the same problems that I am facing.

Please suggest.
Thanks,
Taklu.
taklubaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 15:53   #3178  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
despite that spatial thing and interlaced support have been added for H264 decoding, I still have trouble with some movies, in which rainbow frames or something like that occur from time to time. these are mainly remuxes from HD DVDs or blu-rays to .mkv and those problems occur (at least in this case here, will have to check up on the others a later time again) not only with ffdshow, but also with coreavc and vlc.

I dont know whether this problem is still caused by something which is unsupported yet or if the remuxing process of mkvmerge causes these problems. I uploaded a sample of this remux, I tried to cut a sample from the original .m2ts file, but apparently I always hit an open GOP or something like that and when I muxed it it looked worse than now, with green stuff in it and such.
would be nice if someone could have a look at that, thanks!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/q3rvfp
another sample from another AVC remux, same problem:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/xyyquw
Old 14th February 2008, 17:13   #3179  |  Link
clsid

@taklu

TortoiseSVN is all you need. It should just be working. You could try a different SVN program:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ersion_clients
Old 14th February 2008, 18:02   #3180  |  Link
Leak
ffdshow/AviSynth wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by taklubaba View Post
I am using a firefox 2.0.0.4 version browser.
I can visit the svn url with the browser and also see the contents of the files in the folder.
Are you using a proxy in Firefox? If so, you'll need to set it up in TortoiseSVN as well. And if your proxy happens to be something Microsoft-y that wants NTLM authentication you'll probably need to use an NTLM auth proxy on your machine...

Quote:
I have installed the TortoiseSVN. I then right click on a folder and select SVN Checkout.
I enter the url of the repository as http://ffdshow-tryout.svn.sourceforg...w-tryout/trunk
and the Checkout Directory as the folder on which I had right clicked to select SVN Checkout.
The URL given at SourceForge for SVN access is actually https://ffdshow-tryout.svn.sourcefor...ffdshow-tryout - does that work? (Note the "https" in the URL).

Quote:
The system administrator of my company faced the same problems that I am facing.
Why do I have the feeling that it's your firewall/proxy/whatever that keeps the nasty outside world away from your network is also keeping TortoiseSVN from connecting to the outside?

In that case, either try HTTPS (because that's usually passed through firewalls so banking sites et al work), or break out Wireshark and look at TortoiseSVN's communication - I bet the error isn't on SourceForge's side (I'd expect a 404 Not found if the URL is wrong, but not "Could not connect to server"...) , but your own network edge...

np: Grad_U - Knob III (CMYK)

Tags
ffdshow, ffdshow tryouts, ffdshow-mt, ffplay, icl