Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 25th January 2008, 20:30   #2961  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
btw. I asked in the ffdshow thread to add VC-1 libavcodec support for your muxes, but they'd rather see you implementing ffdshow support on your end :S
Heh, those lazy bastards (just joking)...

Let's first find out why it doesn't work then we can still decide who has to fix the problem. Anway, I cannot reproduce the problem?! I've tried with your Hot Fuzz sample and it doesn't matter whether I mux it with gdsmux or with eac3to v2.18. It also doesn't matter whether I ask ffdshow to decode with libavcodec or with wmv, it always works just fine for me (MPC HC, XPSP2, VMR9, ATI).
Old 25th January 2008, 20:57   #2962  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

with v2.18 there is minimal improvement, meaning the video of the hot fuzz sample plays now, but only to ~0.5 seconds and then automatically jumps back to the beginning of the stream and it begins again and repeat :S

could it maybe a problem of haali renderer, haali splitter, ffdshow or somehow of this combination?
Old 25th January 2008, 21:03   #2963  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

btw. ive got another confirmation for rainbow frames on the Babel remux from someone else (wedding scenes in mexico). can anyone else confirm this?
Old 25th January 2008, 21:08   #2964  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
with v2.18 there is minimal improvement, meaning the video of the hot fuzz sample plays now, but only to ~0.5 seconds and then automatically jumps back to the beginning of the stream and it begins again and repeat :S
Ah, my fault. I thought I'd be testing with ffdshow, but actually ffdshow totally refused the connection to the Haali Splitter, so MPC was again using the MS VC-1 decoder...

Anyway, I think I know why it's failing to work. I'm reporting the VC-1 track slightly different than gdsmux muxed VC-1 MKVs do. This is necessary to make some VC-1 movies work without garbage (e.g. POTO USA). But ffdshow doesn't seem to like this slightly different reporting. I'll post in the ffdshow thread about this. It's definitely their task to fix, not mine.
Old 25th January 2008, 21:09   #2965  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
btw. ive got another confirmation for rainbow frames on the Babel remux from someone else (wedding scenes in mexico). can anyone else confirm this?
You're VERY short on details. Is it a HD DVD or Blu-Ray? Is it VC-1 or h264 or mpeg2? Which tools did you use for remuxing? Which decoders did you use? Etc etc...
Old 25th January 2008, 21:13   #2966  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
Here's a problem i have (v2.17)

Code:
eac3to trailer.evo trailer.mkv
EVO, 1 video track, 1 audio track, 0:01:54
1: MPEG2, 480i60 /1.001
2: AC3, 2.0 channels, 192kbit/s, 48khz, dialnorm: -27dB
The image in resulting mkv stutters a lot. Why? How mpeg2 video is treated by eac3to?
Thanks for the sample. It's a good one. It shows the stuttering quite clearly in the scenes with slow camera pans.

The problem is caused by the Haali Media Splitter during the EVO->MKV remuxing process, as far as I can say. The problem should be fixed as soon as eac3to replaces the Haali Media Splitter with its own internal splitter for MPEG2 (same thing I've already done for VC-1). For now you can work around the problem by demuxing the MPEG2 track with eac3to and then throwing the resulting "video.m2v" track into mkvtoolnix.

I don't really understand why rewriting the timestamps with mkvtoolnix doesn't solve the problem, though! In theory it should! But on the other hand this situation confirms that my decision to replace Haali's Media Splitter with my own for remuxing was a good decision after all.
Old 25th January 2008, 21:13   #2967  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Ah, my fault. I thought I'd be testing with ffdshow, but actually ffdshow totally refused the connection to the Haali Splitter, so MPC was again using the MS VC-1 decoder...

Anyway, I think I know why it's failing to work. I'm reporting the VC-1 track slightly different than gdsmux muxed VC-1 MKVs do. This is necessary to make some VC-1 movies work without garbage (e.g. POTO USA). But ffdshow doesn't seem to like this slightly different reporting. I'll post in the ffdshow thread about this. It's definitely their task to fix, not mine.
I was about to report this.

While all vc-1 remuxes i made with prior versions of eac3to (haali splitter) decode fine with ffdshow, the remuxes made with new versions (your splitter) can't decode with anything except ms vc-1 decoder.

Btw. I have hotfuzz. Would you like me testing?
Old 25th January 2008, 21:17   #2968  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Thanks for the sample. It's a good one. It shows the stuttering quite clearly in the scenes with slow camera pans.

The problem is caused by the Haali Media Splitter during the EVO->MKV remuxing process, as far as I can say. The problem should be fixed as soon as eac3to replaces the Haali Media Splitter with its own internal splitter for MPEG2 (same thing I've already done for VC-1). For now you can work around the problem by demuxing the MPEG2 track with eac3to and then throwing the resulting "video.m2v" track into mkvtoolnix.

I don't really understand why rewriting the timestamps with mkvtoolnix doesn't solve the problem, though! In theory it should! But on the other hand this situation confirms that my decision to replace Haali's Media Splitter with my own for remuxing was a good decision after all.
Yes it's a good sample! The words/titles go up and down like crazy.

Thanks for your alternate method to make this working correctly, but i don't want to do any conversion. Just testing things.
Old 25th January 2008, 21:18   #2969  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
You're VERY short on details. Is it a HD DVD or Blu-Ray? Is it VC-1 or h264 or mpeg2? Which tools did you use for remuxing? Which decoders did you use? Etc etc...
hd dvd, h264,
ffdshow, libavcodec, used eac3to to remux with the version which was up to date some days after christmas (24th)
what tools/filters the other person used, I dont know, have to ask :S

btw. the lucky number slevin sample: http://www.sendspace.com/file/sj2297

Last edited by Thunderbolt8; 25th January 2008 at 21:22.
Old 25th January 2008, 21:30   #2970  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
While all vc-1 remuxes i made with prior versions of eac3to (haali splitter) decode fine with ffdshow, the remuxes made with new versions (your splitter) can't decode with anything except ms vc-1 decoder.
The Sonic VC-1 decoder works for me, too.

ffdshow not working is something that ffdshow needs to fix. I've posted the information about what they need to change to their thread. Hopefully they will accept the change.

Quote:
Btw. I have hotfuzz. Would you like me testing?
That's not necessary, thanks.
Old 25th January 2008, 21:31   #2971  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
hd dvd, h264,
ffdshow, libavcodec, used eac3to to remux with the version which was up to date some days after christmas (24th)
what tools/filters the other person used, I dont know, have to ask :S
Could it be a bad rip again?
Old 25th January 2008, 21:38   #2972  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
ffdshow not working is something that ffdshow needs to fix. I've posted the information about what they need to change to their thread. Hopefully they will accept the change.
Yes, i belive they should fix. Since the "official" Microsoft vc-1 decoder plays ok, your splitter is ok. Just what a guy doesn't know coding thinks.
Old 25th January 2008, 21:59   #2973  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Could it be a bad rip again?
frankly said dont know, but afaik this time I didnt need to use delaycut to fix the audio, as it is often an indicator for a ripping problem.
the other guy used "eac3to 2.14 with newest mkvmerge beta (from 08), ffdshow rev1763 clsid in MPC with libavcodec and haali 1.7.401.3"

btw. there are also rainbow frames at the beginning of the 1st band of brothers episode (also confirmed by others), which are only present with ffdshow and for example not when using coreavc. so maybe this could also be a problem ffdshow since not all h264 features are yet implemented there and no problem of remuxing.

Last edited by Thunderbolt8; 25th January 2008 at 22:02.
Old 25th January 2008, 22:11   #2974  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
frankly said dont know, but afaik this time I didnt need to use delaycut to fix the audio
You? Why you? I thought someone else reported about Babel and you didn't test it yourself? You're confusing me...
Old 25th January 2008, 22:13   #2975  |  Link
Richum

Quote:
I'm not fully sure about that. I cannot really imagine that a bad disc is causing this. But in the end I'm not really sure...
I have been trying different things to determine if the disc itself can be at fault. I installed the Demo of DVDFab Platinum, it would not even recognize my Transformer HD DVD or my friends copy.

I fed it 18 different HD DVDs and it acknowledged 15 as being present and 3 would not even show up as inserted. I was able to rip 12 monkeys and when I tried it in eac3to, I got the same timing errors as previous. I am putting AnyDVD back on the machine and will try v2.18 and see if I can make Transformers go, as I now have a different disc to try.
Old 25th January 2008, 22:28   #2976  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
a friend of mine has problems with remuxing lucky number slevin, all newer eac3to versions (2.15-2.18) crash for him. since he cant post here yet, im posting the bugreport for him:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/qkea81

just taking a guess, maybe its because of this: 2: h264/AVC, 1080p13500 ?
The sample seems to be alright, no damage/corruption, as far as I can see. The framerate information is stored in a strange format, which confused eac3to. This will be fixed in the next build. For me the sample didn't crash with v2.18, though. The sample converted just fine. The fps value in the MKV header was totally wrong, of course (since eac3to misinterpreted the framerate information). But still the MKV remuxed fine and plays fine. Not sure where the crash comes from on your friend's PC. He should retest with the next eac3to build (maybe released on Sunday, don't know). If there's still a crash he should redownload and reinstall the latest Haali version cause that's what's crashing for him.
Old 25th January 2008, 22:29   #2977  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richum View Post
I have been trying different things to determine if the disc itself can be at fault. I installed the Demo of DVDFab Platinum, it would not even recognize my Transformer HD DVD or my friends copy.

I fed it 18 different HD DVDs and it acknowledged 15 as being present and 3 would not even show up as inserted. I was able to rip 12 monkeys and when I tried it in eac3to, I got the same timing errors as previous. I am putting AnyDVD back on the machine and will try v2.18 and see if I can make Transformers go, as I now have a different disc to try.
Sounds strange. I don't know such problems. Maybe your HD DVD drive is in a bad state? I'd also suggest checking your playback chain. Maybe the remuxes are fine and just the DirectShow filters you're using screw up the audio sync? Can't really say from here...
Old 25th January 2008, 23:23   #2978  |  Link
rickardk

Thunderbolt8
Can you give me the timecode for the rainbow frame problem in Babel?

I have that one remuxed and if there is a problem I can give it a new try with latest eac3to.
Old 25th January 2008, 23:28   #2979  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
You? Why you? I thought someone else reported about Babel and you didn't test it yourself? You're confusing me...
of course I also did it myself, I just said I am quite sure I didnt have to use delaycut for that one, though I cant remember 100% any more.
Old 25th January 2008, 23:30   #2980  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardk View Post
Thunderbolt8
Can you give me the timecode for the rainbow frame problem in Babel?

I have that one remuxed and if there is a problem I can give it a new try with latest eac3to.
sorry, but I cant access the movie on my HD right now, I just remember it was at least once during that mexican wedding trip from that nanny and in few other situations. though there werent too many of those occasions in that movie.
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to