Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 25th October 2007, 21:59   #421  |  Link
honai
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Well, but that's the argument here. 2-channel PCM transport (presumably over SPDIF) is useless for HD audio since the limit is 640kbps/1536kbps. Multi-channel PCM transport over HDMI is the issue, and I stand by my argument: it's only possible by way of special player applications which only support TrueHD/DTS-HD/PCM from HD disc sources, not FLAC or any other DirectShow-bridged format.
 
Old 25th October 2007, 22:12   #422  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by honai View Post
Well, but that's the argument here. 2-channel PCM transport (presumably over SPDIF) is useless for HD audio since the limit is 640kbps/1536kbps. Multi-channel PCM transport over HDMI is the issue
You're missing the point. I never claimed that the ATI card would do multichannel PCM transport. It doesn't. Nor does it do TrueHD nor DTS-HD. Neither from MPC nor from PowerDVD nor from WinDVD. I mentioned the ATI card because you claimed that there'd be no system-wide audio driver for the audio part of a HDMI enabled video card - and you're clearly wrong there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honai View Post
it's only possible by way of special player applications which only support TrueHD/DTS-HD/PCM from HD disc sources, not FLAC or any other DirectShow-bridged format.
Have you found a link to backup this claim in the meanwhile? I believe you're wrong.
madshi is offline  
Old 25th October 2007, 22:32   #423  |  Link
honai
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
because you claimed that there'd be no system-wide audio driver for the audio part of a HDMI enabled video card
Well, it doesn't take much creativity to interpret my claim correctly: There's no system-wide audio driver for transporting HD audio over HDMI.

Actually, that's what I wrote:

Quote:
but if I recall correctly the current implementations of HDMI 1.3 on video cards don't provide a system-wide audio driver at all, i.e. you won't be able to send arbitrary audio samples over HDMI at all
 
Old 26th October 2007, 00:48   #424  |  Link
Brother John
(schein)heilig
 
Brother John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Germany
Posts: 511
Humble question, madshi, honai. How is your discussion over the last 10-15 posts relevant to MVKToolnix? Actually I have a hard time figuring that out. And if it was not relevant, wouldn’t it be better to continue this in a separate thread?
__________________
Brother John

When lost in BeSweet's options, have a look at the Commandline Reference.
DVD nach MPEG-4 klappt nicht? Verzweifelt? Auf zum Encodingwissen!
Brother John is offline  
Old 26th October 2007, 08:21   #425  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,858
@Brother John, the discussion was about the question whether it's worth adding TrueHD muxing support to mkvtoolnix. But you're right that it got too much OT, so I'll stop discussing now.
madshi is offline  
Old 2nd November 2007, 01:52   #426  |  Link
Tima
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Russia, Novosibirsk
Posts: 157
I have an issue with MMG -- it's not possible to remux an existing mkv (in my case it's avc + ac3) with different frame rate -- the field for fps is grey.

Waiting for a fix if it's possible.
Tima is offline  
Old 2nd November 2007, 08:14   #427  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти
 
foxyshadis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lost
Posts: 9,175
You have to use a timecode file for that. The only format fps is enabled for is raw h.264 (afaik), and only because mkvmerge isn't capable of reading the real framerate out of it. (Since it can in all other formats, the option is disabled.)

My understanding is that forcing timecodes keeps people from screwing up their sync all the time, but I'm not mosu.
__________________
There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order. ~ Ed Howdershelt
foxyshadis is offline  
Old 2nd November 2007, 08:19   #428  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author
 
Mosu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Braunschweig, Germany
Posts: 3,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
another thing, it would also be great if .evo and . m2ts container as input could be supported!
.evo is accepted, but I think that mmg's "open file" dialog doesn't list it. But drag & drop should work, as should selecting "all files" in the "open file" dialog and then selecting the .evo.

Transport streams (m2ts) are not supported and will probably not be supported in the near future.
__________________
Latest MKVToolNix is v15.0.0

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my FTP server.
Mosu is offline  
Old 2nd November 2007, 08:25   #429  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author
 
Mosu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Braunschweig, Germany
Posts: 3,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tima View Post
I have an issue with MMG -- it's not possible to remux an existing mkv (in my case it's avc + ac3) with different frame rate -- the field for fps is grey.

Waiting for a fix if it's possible.
That's not a bug. mkvmerge's "--default-duration" parameter (which is the one that is used for this particular field in mmg) only works with a select number of formats, especially with those that do not contain timecode/FPS information in them. The example foxyshadis has pointed out is the usual case where'd you use this parameter. Raw h264 tracks only contain the frames itself, but neither a timecode for each frame nor a frame rate in general. But for most of the other container/raw formats mkvmerge can actually derive the timecodes from them. Therefore the control is disabled in mkvmerge.

Note that in Matroska you don't simply have a FPS field in a header that you can simply change as you have in an AVI file. In Matroska each frame has its own timecode. Therefore changin the FPS always requires remuxing the whole file.

If you definitely must change all the timecodes then you have to use timecode files, just as foxyshadis has pointed out.
__________________
Latest MKVToolNix is v15.0.0

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my FTP server.
Mosu is offline  
Old 2nd November 2007, 15:51   #430  |  Link
ssjkakaroto
Registered User
 
ssjkakaroto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: River of Flame
Posts: 198
Hi there Mosu, I'm having a issue with v2.1.0 here:

Whenever I try to convert a OGM file (doesn't matter which) to MKV the file is unplayable, Haali Splitter+MPC report the file having 00:00.

If I convert the files using v2.0.2 (build 20070426) the MKV files work fine.

As I said this happens with any OGM file here but I can upload one to you if needed.
__________________
CCCP
ssjkakaroto is offline  
Old 2nd November 2007, 22:11   #431  |  Link
Tima
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Russia, Novosibirsk
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Raw h264 tracks only contain the frames itself, but neither a timecode for each frame nor a frame rate in general. But for most of the other container/raw formats mkvmerge can actually derive the timecodes from them. Therefore the control is disabled in mkvmerge.

Note that in Matroska you don't simply have a FPS field in a header that you can simply change as you have in an AVI file. In Matroska each frame has its own timecode. Therefore changin the FPS always requires remuxing the whole file.
I understand, but in my case it's raw AVC track inside mkv, if I understand correctly. So for me there seems no problem to REmux it with another framerate.
Tima is offline  
Old 2nd November 2007, 23:09   #432  |  Link
KoD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 536
Tima, use a timecode file. Just go to Start -> All Programs -> MKVtoolnix -> Documentation -> Command Line Reference -> mkvmerge CLI reference and read the chapter on External Timecode Files. You'll see that it's really simple and you don't have to use the CLI either, the GUI can do it too.

In your case, just make a text file, write something like
Code:
# timecode format v1
assume 23.970
inside it, and then remux your file using that timecode for the video track. How to do it in the mkvmerge GUI should be easy to figure out.

Note:
1. change 23.970 with whatever fps value you want.
2. if your h264 video is vfr though, you can't do anything since you most likely don't know the timestamps for each frame.
KoD is offline  
Old 5th November 2007, 07:04   #433  |  Link
Rectal Prolapse
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 429
KoD, actually the value should be 23.976. 24/1.001 = 23.976.
Rectal Prolapse is offline  
Old 5th November 2007, 21:58   #434  |  Link
Thunderbolt8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,144
mosu, is there any chance to have dts-hd (ma & hr) and trueHD support, in .mka or .mkv for example? would be nice to have for all those upcoming hd dvd and blue-ray remuxes
Thunderbolt8 is offline  
Old 7th November 2007, 03:12   #435  |  Link
End_of_Eternity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 21
Crash on splitting

Hi, I am trying to use mkvmerge to split an H264 mkv file into two parts. The first part file is created without any problems, soon after the second file is created mkvmerge crashes.

I am using latest version on Windows Vista, this is the crash info that I get:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: mkvmerge.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 46c82da7
Fault Module Name: msvcrt.dll
Fault Module Version: 7.0.6000.16386
Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bd61
Exception Code: 40000015
Exception Offset: 00065d45
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 98bc
Additional Information 2: 744c5eb18e59789eb9c90085a0575d9d
Additional Information 3: 87a2
Additional Information 4: 861d039c8c7d8f1f8ede4cf681494220

I tried splitting using timecodes and the "after duration" function. Both crash at the same point.

The mkv file was created using meGUI with the latest updates. I keep my system pretty clean and I don't have any spyware/crap installed.

Is there any other info I can give you guys to find out the root cause of this crash?
End_of_Eternity is offline  
Old 7th November 2007, 08:12   #436  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author
 
Mosu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Braunschweig, Germany
Posts: 3,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjkakaroto View Post
Hi there Mosu, I'm having a issue with v2.1.0 here:

Whenever I try to convert a OGM file (doesn't matter which) to MKV the file is unplayable, Haali Splitter+MPC report the file having 00:00.
Yes, please upload a file. The OGM files I have here don't show this behaviour, so I'm not sure what could be wrong (especially as I haven't worked on the OGM reader for quite some time). Maybe uploading the first 50 MB or so should be enouh for me to check it out.
__________________
Latest MKVToolNix is v15.0.0

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my FTP server.
Mosu is offline  
Old 7th November 2007, 08:13   #437  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author
 
Mosu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Braunschweig, Germany
Posts: 3,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
mosu, is there any chance to have dts-hd (ma & hr) and trueHD support, in .mka or .mkv for example? would be nice to have for all those upcoming hd dvd and blue-ray remuxes
I've just received some info from madshi regarding DTS-HD, so it should be possible for me. However, I don't do a lot of coding at the moment, so don't hold your breath.
__________________
Latest MKVToolNix is v15.0.0

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my FTP server.
Mosu is offline  
Old 7th November 2007, 08:15   #438  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author
 
Mosu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Braunschweig, Germany
Posts: 3,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by End_of_Eternity View Post
Hi, I am trying to use mkvmerge to split an H264 mkv file into two parts. The first part file is created without any problems, soon after the second file is created mkvmerge crashes.
Yeah, I know that there are a couple of problems with mkvmerge's handling of h264 splitting (not only that; the problems are more profound, it's just that h264's frame ordering can be a lot more problematic that other codec's, that's why mkvmerge's simplified assumptions work on most codecs but sometimes not on h264). I don't have an ETA for a fix.
__________________
Latest MKVToolNix is v15.0.0

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my FTP server.
Mosu is offline  
Old 7th November 2007, 12:16   #439  |  Link
Thunderbolt8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
I've just received some info from madshi regarding DTS-HD, so it should be possible for me. However, I don't do a lot of coding at the moment, so don't hold your breath.
well it does not have to be done by the end of the day, but it would be nice to have it before UHD or something like that with new file systems (which would need support too), becomes a new standard :P
thanks!
Thunderbolt8 is offline  
Old 7th November 2007, 20:39   #440  |  Link
ssjkakaroto
Registered User
 
ssjkakaroto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: River of Flame
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Yes, please upload a file.
Done.
__________________
CCCP
ssjkakaroto is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.