Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19th March 2002, 15:27   #1  |  Link
skaven

A few questions in Doom9's DivX 5 guide

Ok... I finally got my first rip to work (for the most part). I tried to follow Doom9's DivX guide to the letter. But a few questions remain. I installed the most recent GKnot 'package' for all of the programs that are used in the guide.

First of all, when selecting resolution in GKnot - I can't seem to get the 'autocrop' feature to work. I have loaded the .av2 file and the window is open in the background. But for some reason the 'autocrop' button never shows up. I ended up selecting smartcrop anyway - but I'm not confident of the results. Whats the best option if I can't use 'autocrop'?

Also, when using DivX5 in 2-pass mode, I end up with 2 .avi files. The first file is about 5mb and the second is ~550mb. When using Nandub to mux the .avi and .mp3 it doesn't say what to do with the two files (both passes) from the DivX encoding. I assumed to just use the bigger file - and it seems to have worked. But then I question why the two passes? Just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Finally, I can't seem to get the final file size right. My first rip/encode ended up being 650mb - a good deal less than the 700mb I was shooting for. Yes I selected the actual MP3 file after the encoding was done. I then typed in the bitrate that the calculator indicated in the DivX5 config. I'd like to get as much bitrate out of the movie as possible and fill up the CD to the max. Any suggestions?

One more quick question. I'm not sure I understand the Bits/Pixel values - and the resolution slider. I just followed his 'hints' and got it as close to .20 as possible. It seems to me that the lower the resolution slider the higher the Bits/Pixel number is. That seems contrary to what is written in the guide:

"If you go for 1 CD stay close to 0.20
If you go for 2 CDs stay around 0.27"

At ~.27 the resolution is actually smaller than at .20! Am I missing something here?

Sorry about all the questions. I am happy to say that the encoding seemed to work well - the audio and subtitles were in sync! I'm getting closer at least!
skaven is offline   Reply With Quote