Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 9th June 2007, 08:29   #561  |  Link
edekba

Is there a profile for the new Apple TV? Or do i just use the ipod profiles?
Old 9th June 2007, 10:19   #562  |  Link
Deinorius
Najarenthur

The Quicktime Profile up to 720p should be fine because it's Quicktime what Apple uses in AppleTV.
Old 9th June 2007, 23:20   #563  |  Link
amix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharktooth View Post
Added "Common Encoding" profiles.
Added "Anime Encoding" profiles.
Added "1 Pass Encoding" profiles.
suggestions are welcome.

Hmmm...this is an older thread. Not sure how actual your offer still is. What I would like to see is a profile for different publishing tasks, like

* Webcast (very low size with maximum quality, only a face, moving sparingly, but needs details in the face, audio can be as low as 11KHz/8bit mono)
* Screencast (like Webcast, may be similare to Cartoon/Anime ?)
* and maybe something, that is best choice for later encoding into Flash Video (FLV)

Of course I can do this myself, but I know zero-nada-nothing about all the things behind the scenes and have zero experience. What I have found to be quite ok for Webcasts is a little profile I did with PSP9Video. But it may be even better if some Pro does it right. And since you asked...

Also it is pretty difficult to get information on encoding for Webcasts. I asked on Usenet several times but got no reply.

With all these codecs I'd also be interested, what is the best to find being supported on the web-browsers. I guess x264 is ok, these days ? (decodable by Quicktime or WMP browser plugin ?)
Old 14th June 2007, 14:35   #564  |  Link
outlaw55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoToad View Post
I don't suppose there is a PD-PSP 3.30+ profile in the works? I'm not sure what all the new firmware supports (or if it's just a resolution change).
It would have to be a new one, I tried all I could to get an encode out but it wouldn't work, also the 720x480 videos use Level 3 (at least the PSP Video 9 encodes that WORK use Level 3).

EDIT: Found the problem, the PSP will not play files with b-frames at the resolution of 720x480 !

Last edited by outlaw55; 15th June 2007 at 13:52.

Old 21st June 2007, 20:08   #565  |  Link
michaelhill
avc freak

anime AE or HQ?

Hey Shark,

thanks for the profiles, they helped me to learn the codec and its possibilities. I mostly use HQ slower with if needed 1 or 2 adjustments for your standard profile and it works fine, great results. Is it still not good to encode with 2 treads? My rips look crystal clear with 2 treads so i suppose it is safe to use now?

The other question i have is about the anime profiles. I use them exaclty as you provided them, only i changed the treads to 2. For movies like Cars from pixar, i used the AE good quality profile. I had a very good looking rip on 2cd's. Absolutlty stunning quality. Now i do read somewhere on this forum, forgot where exaclty, that it is advised to use one of the HQ profiles? Why is that? The results I got are good. But will i get better results with the HQ profiles?

thanks again for your work, since i discovered MeGui/x264 and your profiles I have banned xvid/divx for good from my pc.
Encoding takes long, but its worth the wait.
Old 22nd June 2007, 08:02   #566  |  Link
SpAwN_gUy
Junglist

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelhill View Post
thanks for the profiles, they helped me to learn the codec and its possibilities. I mostly use HQ slower with if needed 1 or 2 adjustments for your standard profile and it works fine, great results. Is it still not good to encode with 2 treads? My rips look crystal clear with 2 treads so i suppose it is safe to use now?
well,.. as in the source code of meGUI.. it does NOT matter.. what number of threads you use.. 'cause meGUI internally overrides (on Job addition) number of threads, determining(is it coorect in Eng ??? ) the number of Cores by using WinAPI function. and this number does NOT influences quality of the encode, just the speed. (some say in good way, some say it is not so "parralel" -> ELDER )

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelhill View Post
The other question i have is about the anime profiles. I use them exaclty as you provided them, only i changed the treads to 2. For movies like Cars from pixar, i used the AE good quality profile. I had a very good looking rip on 2cd's. Absolutlty stunning quality. Now i do read somewhere on this forum, forgot where exaclty, that it is advised to use one of the HQ profiles? Why is that? The results I got are good. But will i get better results with the HQ profiles?
AE profiles are for anime .. and Pixar's Cars is NOT an Anime ... it is CG (Computer Grafix) .. so it is more like Movie (ex. Star Wars -> tons of CG = Movie)
so HQ - sutes best.. for Cars and Shreck.. and "all.the.Pixar"

anime profiles sute best for something like.. "Aladdin" and "Darkwing Duck" .. oh,.. good old days of.. sorry .. and tons of Japanese animation (NARUTO, Howl's moving Castle, Spirited Away)

"I like to build planes.... in the air" (c) some ADV.

tutorials
How to Setup agent-based encoding with x264farm (the easy way)
Old 22nd June 2007, 12:25   #567  |  Link
michaelhill
avc freak

thanks for your reply

I did have good encode with the anime profile for pixar's cars.
I am going to re-encode it with HQ-Slower and see if there is a anvious difference.
Old 17th July 2007, 17:55   #568  |  Link
omf

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw55 View Post
Found the problem, the PSP will not play files with b-frames at the resolution of 720x480 !
It will play 720x480 with b-frames. My PSP profile has 3 B-frames. Just turn off "B-Pyramid" and "RDO for B-frames"
Old 17th July 2007, 18:13   #569  |  Link
Manao

Quote:
Just turn off "B-Pyramid" and "RDO for B-frames"
If B-RDO has an influence on PSP playback, it's a bug, and should be reported as such. But I really doubt it actually influences the playback.
Old 17th July 2007, 18:31   #570  |  Link
omf

B-RDO is grayed-out when B-Pyramid is disabled, so I'm actually not sure if that makes a difference.
Old 17th July 2007, 19:20   #571  |  Link
Manao

It shouldn't be disable, if it is it's a bug in MeGUI.
Old 22nd July 2007, 00:20   #572  |  Link
Spilt_milk

what happens if i chose all of them
Old 22nd July 2007, 10:46   #573  |  Link
check
phjbdpcrjlj2sb3h

B RDO is not dependant on B Pyramid, and this behavior is correct in MeGUI. Other related dependancies you might be confused with:
B RDO requires Subme >= 6
B RDO requires B frames >= 1
B Pyramid requires B frames >= 2
Old 9th August 2007, 13:52   #574  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Hey,

Does anybody is interested by iPhone & Apple TV Profiles or not ?

Last edited by Kurtnoise; 9th August 2007 at 14:00.
Old 10th August 2007, 03:34   #575  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Just post them and i will add them
Old 10th August 2007, 07:42   #576  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

ok...but before to summit them I've a question. I haven't checked carefully the sources, so forgive me my ignorance. Can we restrict some parameters for the end users by using profiles ? (i.e width & height, bitrate, etc...)
Old 10th August 2007, 12:32   #577  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

Uhm... not properly. You can set a default bitrate in the profile but the user can always modify it (thru profile config editor or thru bitrate calculator).
Width and Height can be set in a avisynth profile but as for the bitrate, it can be changed by the user
Old 10th August 2007, 12:45   #578  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

the profiles bundled with automkv can set width/height and bitrate limit

BHH
AutoWebM: supporting WebM/VP8
Old 16th August 2007, 10:13   #579  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Quote:
Just post them and i will add them
It needs to be tested because I don't have such devices.

Quote:
Uhm... not properly.
So, it needs to be tuned then. Let me play with the sources and I'll go back with something in a couple of days.

btw, here some extra infos extracted from here :
  • Apple TV has the ability to playback Main Profile (up to Level 3.1) H.264 progressive video with B-Frames up to 1280x720 (720p) at 24 fps and AAC-LC encoded stero audio with a maximum sampling rate of 44.1kHz.
  • iPhone has the ability to playback H.264 Baseline Profile (up to Level 3.0) video, up to 640x480 at 30 fps and AAC-LC encoded stereo audio with a maximum sampling rate of 48kHz. iPhone will also play movies or audio files that can play on an iPod. Note that B frames are not supported in the Baseline profile.

Furthermore, some tweakings are also needed for the muxing (thank you Apple ) :
  • For AppleTV :
    Code:
    MP4Box -ipod -brand M4VH:1 -add myvideo.264:fps=xx -add myaudio.m4a outputfile.m4v
  • For iPhone :
    Code:
    MP4Box -ipod -brand M4VP -add myvideo.264:fps=xx -add myaudio.m4a outputfile.m4v
Old 16th August 2007, 13:10   #580  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

V35:

- Added HQ-Fast (like HQ-Slow but no RDO)
- Added iPhone and AppleTV profiles by Kurtnoise13
Closed Thread