Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 16th March 2002, 05:34   #1  |  Link
poopity poop
Master of Poop!

HuffyYUV Stinks

I always encode to an uncompressed avi before encoding to DivX or SVCD. But lately, huffYUV is crashing in everything. CCESP doesn't crashes(yes I got the patched dll). Tmpeg encodes black after a certain amount of time. I assume this is due to data errors in the avi, seeing as how it goes black at the EXACT same time windows media player can not scroll to. Its such a great codec, and saves SO MUCH ROOM. but its buggier than CCESP! Please fix these scrolling in wmp bugs, TMPEGenc bugs, CCESP bugs(once and for all). Just about the only thing that works perfectly is vdub/ndub. They read/scroll/convert fine
Everytime I need to make an SVCD I need to run a frameserver from vdub into CCESP. I don't knwo if this adds to encoding time, but it certainly is annoying

Last edited by poopity poop; 16th March 2002 at 05:48.
poopity poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2002, 05:53   #2  |  Link
takeru
Anime XviD'er

bugs? what bugs? i've been using this codec for awhile now and so far had no problems at all. is capturing the problem or encoding to mpeg?
takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2002, 08:47   #3  |  Link
DSPguru
BeSweet Author

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13097
DSPguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2002, 09:51   #4  |  Link
movmasty

see also
huffyuv

about "losseless" compression and bugs
i know 2 kinds of lless compression
1)pure yuv codecs,even each pel has its own luma value,colour infos get compressed,
one colour value each 2 pels(4:2:2),16 bits/pel
each 4 pels(4:2:0),12 bits/pel
each 16 pels(16:4:0),9 bits/pel
these yuv compression works fine, also the 9bits version looks quite good,
and the bitrate will be always the same for each screen size,
16,12 or 9 bits/pel.

2)codecs like huffy, or picvideo Losseless MJPG,
on one hand they claim to not have neither the yuv color compression(huffy has the rgb compression,picv says it use a pseudo(?)Cbr compression),
on the other they dont have a fixed bitrate for each screen size,
es. if you smooth a movie, you will get slightly less size,or if you have 4 times the number of pels,you will get less than 4 times the size.
then what kind of compression is applyed? really lless, or just a "light" one?

and these codecs are producing some bad frames,
on the thread i said only huffy,but i recently encodec a clip where picv LMJPG made one bad frame when indeoRaw(a 9bits YUV codec)encoded it well.

you could test this converting in avi some mpg with distorted frames.

Last edited by movmasty; 16th March 2002 at 09:54.
movmasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2002, 16:00   #5  |  Link
Kedirekin

I believe huffy is based on huffman compression, a well know lossless compression algorythm that is (or has been) used in other lossless compression such as zip and drivespace. It truly should be lossless.

I don't know about picvideo lossless MJPEG, but I always assumed it used standard JPEG DCT, but didn't discard any high frequency information. Incidentally, I believe JPEG also uses huffman at later compression stages (after the DCT). I can't state categorically that it truly is lossless, but I assume it is or they wouldn't claim it is.

As for errors, I (and many others) have been using these codecs without problem for too long for me to take seriously any claim that they are significantly buggy. No offense intended, but it really is much more likely that there is something wrong with your PC or with your software configuration.
Kedirekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2002, 16:20   #6  |  Link
DSPguru
BeSweet Author

zip is based on the lempel-ziv algorithm.
mpeg1 layer3 (mp3) uses huffman encoding (but that's only after doing lossy prcoessing on the track).
jpeg is using a loseless encoding called 'run-length', but that's after quantizing the dct results, which is a LOSSY process.

so, as far as i know, huffyuv is loseless, mjpeg is lossy, mpeg is even more lossy.
DSPguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2002, 17:01   #7  |  Link
hex

never had a single problem with huffyuv

Well, altough this is only my opinion, I've been using the huffyuv codec for months and never gave me any problems at all.

I use it to store my 3D animations in loseless format and importing them into aftereffects with razor sharp edges (and razor sharp alpha channels :-P).

I allways use the predict gradient rgb option that is loseless and the best, adecuated for my 3d things, for movies the convert to yuv2 is in my opinion more than enough.

I use the thread also to thank the author of the codec for that really useful piece of software that huffyuv is.

So I would try to run a system diagnostic program, one proggie/driver
in your machine is giving you headaches...

bye
hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2002, 07:41   #8  |  Link
poopity poop
Master of Poop!

Yes It is useful, and has been useful, but for right now, I don't like spending tons of time encoding to an intermediate avi, jsut to have it poop( he he...poop) out on me. Right now, and I hope there isn't a speed loss, I'm just loading my huffYUV into vdub, and frameserving it everywhere, seeing as how vdub can always read/scroll though huffy, and other things can't. If you don't feel like waiting for a perfect version to come out(perfect versions don't exsist anyway), just frame serve.

When you frameserve, change the name to an avi not vdf(or whatever the signpost it) FYI