Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Hardware players

Old 8th April 2004, 21:44   #1  |  Link
Yo

Sansui DVD4005 DVDR-VCR combo

I recently bought the Sansui DVDR-VCR combo at Sears, which can record both ways, from VHS-DVD, or DVD-VHS. It's convenient to have it all in one unit.

It works pretty good. One problem though, which I guess exists with all standalone players. It will not record copy protected tapes to DVDs. I have some commercial VHS tapes which I bought, and it would be nice to put them on DVD.

I guess with separate VCR and DVDR you can buy one of those boxes on the Internet to put in between the units, which will remove the copy protection. Not really possible to use with a combo unit like this, as it's all in one box.

I've read though, that some standalone DVDRs have unofficial ways to defeat the copy protection, through pressing certain codes on the remote control, etc. The manufacturer has to be able to claim ignorance of this if called on it, as legally they have to incorporate the copy protection in their product. On the other hand, they know that more people will buy their product if one can defeat the copy protection. So perhaps they include a secret way to defeat it, and spread the info by rumor, while officially knowing nothing about it. (This is just something I read in other forum posts.)

Anyhow, does anyone know a way to defeat the copy protection in the Sansui DVD4005 DVDR-VCR combo.

I'm curious to hear also from others who have used this product, how do you like it? (Not just the copy protection issue. Anything about it>)

Also, from any who have other brands of DVDR-VCR combos. Apparently there are only a couple such models available in the US now. Besides this Sansui model (available only at Sears), there is the GoVideo 4940 (which I've only seen available on the web, although someone reported seeing one at a Costco, I've never seen one there), and the Zenith model available at Best Buy. (Which I've read is the same as the GoVideo model, although it costs more.) There are so many DVD-VCR combo models out (in which the DVD side only plays, doesn't record), I'm surprised there aren't more combo models in which the DVD side records. I would guess that a year from now there will probably be many of them, and the price will go down. If you have one of those other models, tell us how you like it.
Yo is offline   Reply With Quote