Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 28th October 2003, 18:16   #1  |  Link
sandchar99

"Calculated Bitrate as Max. Bitrate" does not stay checked

Thanks again DVD2SVCD for the numerous improvements.

Recently you fixed a problem that I had brought up (this thread). Bringing back this feature has allowed me to encode as I had done previously.

However, now that it is "checked" feature, I have run into new problems which hopefully could be corrected in the next update.

1) "Calculated Bitrate as Max. Bitrate" does not stay checked when reopening the program after closing it.

2) "Calculated Bitrate as Max. Bitrate" does not stay checked when running in Batch mode.

3) "Calculated Bitrate as Max. Bitrate" does not stay checked when reloading an IFO set in the "Conversion" tab

Looking through the DVD2SVCD.ini file I can see that there is no option to keep it checked.

Could this be added to the INI file in a future release? Or is there a way I can modify the INI file myself to keep this checked?

Thanks again for your consideration

sandchar99
sandchar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2003, 19:47   #2  |  Link
dvd2svcd

Oops! Sorry about that. Will be fixed.
Old 29th October 2003, 00:20   #3  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

@sandchar99,

I've always wondered why people woud want to use OPV that way. Can you explain it to me?

I think you're wasting very valuable bits to improve quality by doing so, but if you have good reasons I'd like to hear about them.
Do you know how much overscan and which resolution your TV has? Find out if NTSC.
Moderator: 1: one who arbitrates 2: one who presides over an assembly, meeting, or discussion
3: a substance (as graphite) used for slowing down neutrons in a nuclear reactor (Webster)
r6d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2003, 00:51   #4  |  Link
sandchar99

@ dvd2svcd

Thanks again, tack sa mycket.

@r6d2

With regards to OPV, what do you mean? Why (or how) do I use OPV or why (or how) do I use "Calculated Bitrate as Max. Bitrate"?
Old 29th October 2003, 00:59   #5  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

Quote:
Originally posted by sandchar99
With regards to OPV, what do you mean? Why (or how) do I use OPV or why (or how) do I use "Calculated Bitrate as Max. Bitrate"?
Why (not how) do you use OPV with bitrate as max. I know that, in the beginning, when how OPV worked was not throughly understood, it was a common practice.

But today, we know that it is quite similar to a CBR encode with max=avg=calculated bitrate. Which, I don't know if you're aware, is not the optimal thing to do.
Do you know how much overscan and which resolution your TV has? Find out if NTSC.
Moderator: 1: one who arbitrates 2: one who presides over an assembly, meeting, or discussion
3: a substance (as graphite) used for slowing down neutrons in a nuclear reactor (Webster)
Old 29th October 2003, 17:26   #6  |  Link
sandchar99

It's because the new algorithm was creating files way in excess of the 800 MB size limit. See thread:

thread

I would end up with 6 image sets instead of 3 consistently

CD 1 800 MB
CD 2 60 MB
CD 3 800 MB
CD 4 60 MB
CD 5 800 MB
CD 6 60 MB
Old 29th October 2003, 18:25   #7  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

@sandchar99,

You are missing the point entirely. You just seem to use that mode because "you always have".

I really suggest you to use D2Sroba, as DDogg did on that thread. Otherwise, stick to CBR. You will have no error at all and almost exactly the same quality as you get with your current use of OPV.

If you're still not convinced, and would like to try something better, read the Idiot's Guide.
Old 29th October 2003, 19:46   #8  |  Link
telemike

I highly reccomend D2Sroba plugin!

My past 3 encodes using the latest version have filled between 96 - 99% of disc capacity!

IF you want to squeeze onto 1 CD or any number of CD's it works!
telemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2003, 22:57   #9  |  Link
sandchar99

Ok Ok Ok

You broke down my resistance.

I will use D2Sroba plugin.
(Repeat 100 times).

Long live OPV!!! (As long as my RT is still around 1.0).

I'll change my tune when I get a processor faster than a P4 1.4 and go back to 4 Pass VBR.

Old 29th October 2003, 23:08   #10  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

Quote:
Originally posted by sandchar99
Long live OPV!!! (As long as my RT is still around 1.0).
Your RT will not change at all. Be prepared to do a second pass 1 out of 5 times, but also save 1 CD out of 3 movies.
Quote:
I'll change my tune when I get a processor faster than a P4 1.4 and go back to 4 Pass VBR.
Do you want to bet?