Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 8th June 2016, 21:45   #1  |  Link
Blitzker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 61
AssFilterMod - DirectShow subtitle renderer (v0.4)

Hello!

For a while, i searched for an alternative to XySubFilter and when i found AssFilter by alexmarsev, i decided it was what i wanted to use. I had no idea on how to work with Directshow and this was a good learning material. So here it is, my first shot at forking a project and modifying it.

AssFilter is an Open-source DirectShow subtitle renderer based on libass and the SubRenderIntf interfaces. Like the well known XySubFilter, AssFilter don't render the subtitles on the video. It instead communicate directly with the video renderer to send the subtitles. This process allow the video renderer to do what it wants with the subtitles.

Here is some screenshot comparisons between AssFilterMod and XySubFilter:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/175218
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/175219
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/175220

New features and bug fixes:
  • Added the Settings and Status tabs
  • Added support for SRT subtitles
  • Works with built-in video renderers in MPC-HC
  • Fix crash when the subtitle track is changed
  • Use latest versions of libraries
  • Auto-loading of external subtitles

General Settings:



Note: Only subfolders of the currently playing media file folder can be used.

SRT Settings:



In the Custom Tags edit control, you can enter Ass Tags and customize your SRT subtitles the way you want.

Ex: If you want your subtitles to be BOLD, enter {\b1}.

External Subtitles Font Folder is only used for external subtitles. You can use those fonts for both ASS and SRT subtitles.
Note: The {FILE_DIR} tag can be used to specify the folder of the media file.

Important notes:
  • All tags that you use in the Customs Tags will overwrite the default settings.
  • Settings are saved in the registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AssFilter
  • Only subtitles (ASS and SRT) subtitles are supported.

Requirements:

Visual Studio 2015 Redistributables https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=53840
Visual Studio 2017 x32 Redistributables https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=746571
Visual Studio 2017 x64 Redistributables https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=746572
Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 (32 and 64 bits)

Changelog

Code:
v0.4
- add: System tray icon
- add: Selection of external subtitles in context menu of tray icon
- add: Open settings by left click on the tray icon
- add: Use of fonts in External Subs Fonts folder for SRT subtitles
- add: Libass is built with harfbuzz support
- add: Support of font ligatures
- add: Option to disable auto-load of external subtitles
- fix: Auto-load of subtitles with unicode characters
- fix: Auto-load of SRT subtitles on a different codepage than en_us
- Settings page is now split in two: General Settings and SRT Settings
- Add support for Visual Studio 2017
- Use my fork of libass
- Update libass asm building tools : Now use nasm instead of yasm
Downloads

https://github.com/Blitzker/assfiltermod/releases

Nightlies

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/w1w...s/AssFilterMod

Last edited by Blitzker; 17th November 2017 at 05:12. Reason: new version
Blitzker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 23:24   #2  |  Link
nautilus7
Registered User
 
nautilus7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 1,501
Hi, thanks for the filter. Any plans to make an avisynth plugin, something similar to masksub() filter in vsfilter plugin.
nautilus7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 17:36   #3  |  Link
Blitzker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
Hi, thanks for the filter. Any plans to make an avisynth plugin, something similar to masksub() filter in vsfilter plugin.
No, sorry. I don't have any plans to work on a avisynth filter at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amayra View Post
thanks for your hard work and i was thinking about is just time to update this old renderer


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaika View Post
Excuse me, I not quite understand. Is it a newer version V5.00 the subtitle ASS with new features?
No, its a DirectShow subtitle filter (like XySubFilter) that you can use with a media player (like MPC-HC, MPC-BE) to display .ASS and .SRT subtitles. But if such a new specification of the ASS format is made available in libass, AssFilterMod will support it.
Blitzker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 14:21   #4  |  Link
amayra
Quality Checker
 
amayra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 175
thanks for your hard work and i was thinking about is just time to update this old renderer
__________________
I love Doom9
amayra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 16:20   #5  |  Link
Jamaika
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 453
Excuse me, I not quite understand. Is it a newer version V5.00 the subtitle ASS with new features?

Last edited by Jamaika; 9th June 2016 at 16:26.
Jamaika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2016, 13:56   #6  |  Link
ashlar42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 294
Hi! Really nice to see some new development on this front (subs filters). A couple of questions:

1) Speedwise how does it compare to XySubFilter?

2) How does it work in relationship with madVR? Is it capable of moving subs in black bars of 2.35:1 content, for instance?

Thanks a lot.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2016, 17:56   #7  |  Link
lion09503
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 10
Hey @Blitkzer

Thanks for the hard work.

I was just wondering about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzker
Only subtitles (ASS and SRT) muxed in MKV files are supported.
Does this mean that it does not auto-load subtitles that have the same name as the video file? xy-vsfilter and xysubfilter both support this feature.

I also want to know whether it works together with madvr as @ashlar42 has asked.


EDIT: I'd like to report a bug that I just found. Here's a screenshot of the issue.

http://prntscr.com/bexazz

Filters currently loaded:
- AssFilterMod
- Default DirectSound Device
- madVR
- Audio Switcher
- LAV Video Decoder
- LAV Audio Decoder
- LAV Splitter
- File Source (Async.)

Last edited by lion09503; 11th June 2016 at 01:38.
lion09503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2016, 02:37   #8  |  Link
Blitzker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
Hi! Really nice to see some new development on this front (subs filters). A couple of questions:

1) Speedwise how does it compare to XySubFilter?

2) How does it work in relationship with madVR? Is it capable of moving subs in black bars of 2.35:1 content, for instance?

Thanks a lot.
Hello!

1) Can't really say, but since its based on libass and its still actively developed, there is good chances that its more optimized than XySubFilter. But to be honest, i've yet to find subs that make both of them lag. If you have heavy subs that are making XySubFilter or AssFilterMod lag, let me know!

2) I've implemented basic support for moving SRT subs on my dev pc. There is a build of this version if you want to test it: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/w1w...s/AssFilterMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lion09503 View Post
Hey @Blitkzer

Thanks for the hard work.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lion09503 View Post

Does this mean that it does not auto-load subtitles that have the same name as the video file? xy-vsfilter and xysubfilter both support this feature.

I also want to know whether it works together with madvr as @ashlar42 has asked.
I don't support auto-load yet, but i plan to eventually work on this feature. No ETA though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lion09503 View Post

EDIT: I'd like to report a bug that I just found. Here's a screenshot of the issue.
Do you happen to have Internal Subtitle Renderer selected in Options -> Output? This is what i get too when its selected and AssFilterMod is used. I've submitted code to mpc-hc to add AssFilter to the renderers available in the combo box so this won't happen if AssFilter is selected. In the meantime, you can just select an (**unavailable**) subtitle renderer in the list and the subs won't double like that.
Blitzker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2016, 02:59   #9  |  Link
lion09503
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzker View Post
Hello!

1) Can't really say, but since its based on libass and its still actively developed, there is good chances that its more optimized than XySubFilter. But to be honest, i've yet to find subs that make both of them lag. If you have heavy subs that are making XySubFilter or AssFilterMod lag, let me know!

2) I've implemented basic support for moving SRT subs on my dev pc. There is a build of this version if you want to test it: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/w1w...s/AssFilterMod







I don't support auto-load yet, but i plan to eventually work on this feature. No ETA though.


Do you happen to have Internal Subtitle Renderer selected in Options -> Output? This is what i get too when its selected and AssFilterMod is used. I've submitted code to mpc-hc to add AssFilter to the renderers available in the combo box so this won't happen if AssFilter is selected. In the meantime, you can just select an (**unavailable**) subtitle renderer in the list and the subs won't double like that.
I see. Thanks for the fast reply. I'll wait until mpc-hc includes it. Might I also suggest raising a ticket to mpc-be?
lion09503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2016, 19:50   #10  |  Link
Blitzker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by lion09503 View Post
I see. Thanks for the fast reply. I'll wait until mpc-hc includes it. Might I also suggest raising a ticket to mpc-be?
I will eventually open a ticket to mpc-be but i first need to fix an issue between its internal matroska splitter and AssFilterMod.
Blitzker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2016, 07:45   #11  |  Link
huhn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,261
madVR is complaining that the subtitle renderer is outdated.
there are some issues with madVR and this subtitle renderer.
but i guess this error should be fixed first.

i guess the SubRenderIntf.h is not up to date.
the newest version is from 2015-10-10.
madshi.net/SubRenderIntf.h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzker View Post
1) Can't really say, but since its based on libass and its still actively developed, there is good chances that its more optimized than XySubFilter. But to be honest, i've yet to find subs that make both of them lag. If you have heavy subs that are making XySubFilter or AssFilterMod lag, let me know!
there should be more than enough that will make them lag.
do you have any way to test these renderer at UHD?

i will provide some samples "later" hopefully this weekend.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2016, 19:44   #12  |  Link
Blitzker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
madVR is complaining that the subtitle renderer is outdated.
there are some issues with madVR and this subtitle renderer.
but i guess this error should be fixed first.

i guess the SubRenderIntf.h is not up to date.
the newest version is from 2015-10-10.
madshi.net/SubRenderIntf.h
Thanks, this is now fixed. What was weird is that i do use the latest SubRenderIntf.h and that message wasn't there with debug builds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
there should be more than enough that will make them lag.
do you have any way to test these renderer at UHD?

i will provide some samples "later" hopefully this weekend.
Sadly, i don't have access to an UHD screen. Samples would be nice to have so i can do some "stress testing".
Blitzker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2016, 19:53   #13  |  Link
huhn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzker View Post
Sadly, i don't have access to an UHD screen. Samples would be nice to have so i can do some "stress testing".
the problem is more that this renderer is always rendering in the output resolution.

xy subfilter has an option to render at native video resolution.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 03:56   #14  |  Link
huhn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,261
i think most people would be happy with full madVR support for all the subtitle related feature it offers.
and of cause support for all major subtitle formats. DVD subtiles what ever the name is, pgs, ass and srt.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 20:05   #15  |  Link
Blitzker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
i think most people would be happy with full madVR support for all the subtitle related feature it offers.
and of cause support for all major subtitle formats. DVD subtiles what ever the name is, pgs, ass and srt.
There is a basic support for movable subtitles (SRT) already implemented but full madVR support is of course the goal.

As for DVD and pgs subtitles, and not sure about that. AssFilterMod is based on libass for the rendering of subtitles and supporting those bitmap formats would
need major work. I won't say no for now but its surely not gonna be soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
Rendering at output resolution is particularly relevant for me. Seeing 720p quality subs when watching on a 1080 screen is terrible. I can't imagine how bad they must look on a 4k screen.
Yes, the 720p or 1080p subs rendered at 4k can indeed look bad. The problem is that rendering them at 4k require much more processing and can make more complex subtitles lag. Implementing native video resolution would avoid that lag at the cost of reduced quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
Thanks for working on this. I wish you all the luck possible on this project.
Thanks, its a fun project to work on!
__________________
Latest dev builds of AssFilterMod can be found here: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/w1w...s/AssFilterMod
Blitzker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 23:38   #16  |  Link
Q-the-STORM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzker View Post
Yes, the 720p or 1080p subs rendered at 4k can indeed look bad. The problem is that rendering them at 4k require much more processing and can make more complex subtitles lag. Implementing native video resolution would avoid that lag at the cost of reduced quality.
Just let the user decide...
default on Output resolution with the option to switch to native resolution... though a lot better would be output resolution and custom resolution...

most people have a 1080p screen and probably have enough processing power to always render at 1080p, so most people will be fine with output resolution...

people that have a UHD screen and don't have enough processing power will then have the option to set custom resolution...
you could either let the user set each value themselves, or just make various options... 720p, 1080p, 1440p and 2160p should be the most popular options...
Q-the-STORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2016, 12:04   #17  |  Link
ashlar42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-the-STORM View Post
you could either let the user set each value themselves, or just make various options... 720p, 1080p, 1440p and 2160p should be the most popular options...
Well, yes. Since we are "dream designing" this, I agree that having the opportunity of independently set a relationship between video resolution and subs resolution would be ideal.

It has the added value of becoming absolutely future-proof.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2016, 12:17   #18  |  Link
huhn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,261
and you should know that rendering styled animated ASS subtitles can be so hard that no CPU on the market can handle them.

there are already subtitle that need a fast single thread performance CPU and buffering (EVR can't buffer yet) at 1080p.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 10:48   #19  |  Link
ashlar42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 294
Rendering at output resolution is particularly relevant for me. Seeing 720p quality subs when watching on a 1080 screen is terrible. I can't imagine how bad they must look on a 4k screen.

Thanks for working on this. I wish you all the luck possible on this project.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2016, 12:50   #20  |  Link
rock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 85
hi, thanks for this project.
Could you add git number to about page for nightly build?
Also, I wish you could put latest dev build link to op so they can be found easily. thanks
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.