Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2013, 01:30   #205  |  Link
TurboPascal7

Okay, here are my thoughts on the issue. Everything runs on the assumption that most filters will get updated. There are just too many things to add and I want to hope that with the help of VSynth team we will be able to make the most used plugins less bad quite fast.

Common things:
  • In any case the core should include a static thread pool with number of threads configured on script initialization. Additional function like SetThreads(4) should be provided with all calls other than the first one ignored. This is exactly how Avstp works.
  • Nothing should be threaded by default. If the core does not have any information on the filter it will run singlethreaded. Always.
The question is: how does the core get the required info if the filter does not register itself?

1. Single-line SetMtMode
First option is to make the user put this info in his script but unlike the original SetMtMode apply threading only to the filter inside the call. The result script would look like:
Code:
SetThreads(4)
Source(...)
SomeRegisteredFilter()          # registers itself as threaded, runs with 4 threads
SomeBrokenFilter()          # does not register itself, singlethreaded
ForceThreading(SomeFilter(), 2)        # SomeFilter runs in mode 2, forced threading
This assumes that avisynth evaluator would allow making SomeFilter() threaded and you don't have to use like SetMtMode(2).SomeFilter().SetMtMode(0) which is quite ugly.
Compared to original mt-mode solutions, this makes immediately obvious where and which mt-mode is used. Of course it runs on assumption that most filers will get updated, otherwise you'll end up writing ForceThreading call on every line or separating all your stuff into functions just to thread said function in one call.

However, just like the vanilla SetMtMode solution, this has some serious disadvantages.
First of all, it requires users to know implementation details of every plugin and script they're using, in other words - making the user learn a lot of stuff he doesn't care about.
Second, it makes your script less readable by simply adding garbage calls to it.
Third, imagine you're using some dither.avsi function with 50 calls to perfectly threadable masktools and a single call to hopelessly broken removegrain. You'll end up using the slowest mt mode of all (if any) unless you're willing to modify this script. No one will do that.

So I think we should face it: SetMtMode solution is terrible. I'd rather continue running scripts singlethreaded than spending hours and hours understanding what I can and cannot thread just to later end up with a broken encode because I used a wrong mt mode.

2. Embed this information into the core
Do pretty much the same thing VSynth is doing: embed all the required info into the core. Here is how it'd work:
  1. The core has predefined dictionary of mt modes for every plugin known. {"mt_lut": 0, "removegrain": 2} and so on. User has no ways of providing this info. No SetMtMode function exists.
  2. When a threaded plugin is loaded, its registration info overrides the default dictionary values. This is important because we'll never be able to keep the list up to date.
  3. All filters that do not register themselves and don't have an entry in the core dictionary run singlethreaded.
  4. When a filter gets updated, we simply remove its entry from the core. This makes it singlethreaded for users that updated the core but didn't update the filter. Can't be helped.
Yes, this solution is harder for the devs since one would need to gather the info required to embed it in the core. Yes, this solution is not optimal from performance point of view - even if the filter can be easily threaded, unless it registers itself or has an entry in the core dictionary - it won't.
But it does not require the user to know anything about filters he's using. Plus it doesn't add anything to your scripts. Plus you automatically get threading even inside complicated scripts that no one will ever modify. User updates avisynth.dll and it just works. Then when plugins get updated, he replaced the files in his plugins folder and it just works.

I definitely think this is the way to go. MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE is cool and everything, but I really want things to just work without me doing anything. In the end, 20 minutes of my time is much more important for me than those four additional hours my PC will spend on filtering running some more stuff singlethreaded.

Last edited by TurboPascal7; 2nd November 2013 at 03:02.