View Single Post
Old 26th January 2008, 17:35   #3017  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
I just muxed the starship troopers blu-ray with putting the vc-1 .m2ts into gdsmux and remuxed only the video to .mkv, because I wanted to avoid the demuxing stage of the video, as you prefer it. so do you think it will be different (and better) when I use xport to demux the vc-1 video and use eac3to to mux it to .mkv?
Normally a direct remux is better because doing it that way when there are gaps/overlaps in the video stream these are not lost, so you keep perfect audio sync. However, if the video stream doesn't have any gaps/overlaps (which should theoretically be the normal case), demuxing and remuxing should work just fine, too. At least with MPEG2 and VC-1. I'm somewhat sceptical about doing this with h264. Had bad experiences with that in the past. Didn't have a problem with demuxing/remuxing MPEG2 and VC-1 yet. But still, if you do that, make sure that you double check audio sync both in the beginning and end of the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
btw. is a .mkv file with video only in it affected regarding its playback structure, when I put it into mkvmerge to add audio, even when I dont rewrite the timestamps, so could it happen it has no problems as .mkv with video stream only, but then shows errors of any kind after the addition of audio?
I don't really see how adding audio could affect the video, but I can't say for sure. Of course there could also be a bug in mkvtoolnix or something like that.