View Single Post
Old 9th April 2007, 13:01   #5  |  Link
arnezami

Its really good that you ask these questions. If you have them others will too .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnodab View Post
First, you mentioned "MKB", but there was no explanation for what it was. My guess Master Key Bit, but for some reason (perhaps grammatically, I don't know!) that doesn't seem to fit for me.
MKB stands for Media Key Block. There is a thread (in the sticky) explaining the subset difference method which uses the MKB. Essentially the MKB contains encrypted keys. A player needs keys to decrypt discs. But from time to time they change the keys used in the MKB so we can't use the old ones (we found) for new discs. This concerns the Processing/Device Key btw.

Quote:
Second, and this is in regards to stand alone players and revocation. From my understanding, most (if not all) of these next gen media players have an always on connection to the internet (via an ethernet line). So unlike with software players on a computer, the machine would automatically update without the owner even knowing. When you say "We have been speculation how to permanently disable this system " you mean you think that there is a way to get these stand alone players to stop "phoning home" and yet continue to play media (despite their leaked keys)?
The speculation was about effectively disabling the tracing system (not the revocation system). If your standalone gives away its identity (to the AACS LA) then tracing isn't even needed anymore: they can simply revoke you (if there is a valid reason of course). This is why its important to be careful when patching something that is (or has been) attached to the internet.

Quote:
Third and finally, If AACS did trace what standalone machine gave out the key's, and shut it down, does that mean that anyone who bought that player is a proud owner of a new $1000 brick?

Thanks again for the speedy reply, and thanks for all the work you've done on this (I know you have something to do with some of this, and should have mentioned you my first post to give credit where credit is due, so my bad)
In principle [edited] no. If they would revoke a standalone device this device will basicly stop working from the moment a new disc is inserted or will not be able to play new discs. Of course if they would do that there was a reason for it: maybe the device was hacked. If so then the owner can probably "repair" this standalone since he would (most likely) have low-level access to it (eg use a cloning technique).

[edit]I read your question wrong: only the standalone which keys were released will be revoked. Not others. Sorry.

Regards,

arnezami

Last edited by arnezami; 15th April 2007 at 06:45.
arnezami is offline   Reply With Quote