View Single Post
Old 26th November 2007, 16:24   #1702  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkodi View Post
1) there are 3 types of channel order for 5.1 MLP files:

ID 12: Group 1 (Lf, Rf), Group 2 (C, LFE, Ls, Rs)
ID 17: Group 1 (Lf, Rf, C), Group 2 ( LFE, Ls, Rs)
ID 20: Group 1 (Lf, Rf, Ls, Rs), Group 2 (C, LFE)

and they are all valid channel order for 5.1 MLP, decoded to WAV, they all produce the same WAV file with the valid channel order for 5.1 WAV files: Lf, Rf, C, LFE, Ls, Rs.
I know that there are multiple channel ordering variations for MLP which are all "correct". I didn't know the details, though.

Quote:
but eac3to 2.06 reports:

ID 20 order is wrong for WAV files, but not for MLP, so "5.1 wrong order channels" doesn't seem right to me.
I know. I just wanted to post something other than "5.1" to indicate that this is not the normal 5.1 channel order, but something different. I didn't expect that this other ordering would really be used in real life, so I just named it "wrong order" just to give it a name.

Quote:
2) with Nero decoder all of the samples: mlp51_id12.mlp, mlp51_id17.mlp, mlp51_id20.mlp are decoded, but the output is different for mlp51_id20.mlp, probably it produces WAV with channel order Lf, Rf, Ls, Rs, C, LFE instead of the correct one Lf, Rf, C, LFE, Ls, Rs. it's important, because most of the DVD-Audio discs use ID20, ID12 and ID17 are very rare.

3) with -libav switch all of the above samples produce:

and no output at all, i don't know why because i have ffmpeg patched with one of the first MLP patches and it decodes all of the samples without complaining about the checksums, so maybe with the newest ffmpeg MLP patches, something is broken and previous versions are better to use at the moment, because there is no problem with the checksums according to Surecode MLP:

here are the samples: http://xkodi.svobodno.com/mlp51/
Thanks for the samples! Will check this out. May take a few days, though.