View Single Post
Old 7th February 2011, 15:26   #65  |  Link
Ghitulescu

My premium collection was TY. And from the mechanical point of view much superior to the JVC ones (which recently bought the media division of TY).

Verbatim premium was MKM, Verbatim normal is still MCC, but also rebadged TY (yes, Taiyo Yuden) albeit rarely, some batches are produced by MBI for Verbatim, and some even in the Emirates. Now, the newest batches I've seen in Germany are manufactured in China, God knows how.
Maxell did manufactured once themselves the media, but switched almost immediately to foreign manufacturers. Now it's crap.
Sony still used the same MID, but nothing is manufactured in its own factories, I don't even remember those times. Was it 4x the last Sony one?
Fuji also did itself manufacture some DVDRs, again, with mass production, they switched to a relabelling factory.
Panasonic, well, does anyone remember those times?

The rest of the manufacturers (I was able to see, some manufacture for Japan only and some are OEM only) are worse. Yet ok for all-day recordings*.

*When the recording was an elite sport, both the recorders and their media were of premium quality. People thought usually twice or more times whether they would store something on a DVDR or not. Price-oriented. So was the photography. And the VHS.
When however the media and the recorders became cheap enough, not only the quality dropped, but also the expectations. People put everything on DVDRs and simply do not care whether it would be readable or not next year. Who cares about next year? Friends of mine shot literally thousands of photos, they look like a film reel, saying, I'll pick only the best shots. They never did this, instead they burn all of them on CDRs/DVDRs and throw them in a drawer only to find them when they move to another house.
Quality means money. Why would someone invest money in something only 1% or less would care? Cheap, cheaper, cheapest! Bad, worse, ... And they have already supporters, right, yetanotherid?

Be happy that you are not touched by this phenomenon. Yet. But you have time to see the evolution of the BDR. Already MIC (MIT was just an intermediary stage).