View Single Post
Old 19th September 2017, 04:27   #20  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogrgkyle View Post
Is there much value in resizing ahead of time to avoid playtime resizing? How important is it, in your opinion?
In my opinion it's pointless because if you upscale to 1080p first there's more video to encode and the bitrate will therefore increase for a given quality but there's no additional picture detail.
I'd never add black borders to video myself. Unless you're encoding for "industry standard" compliance because you want to author a DVD/Bluray disc, and nobody does that any more, the player will simply add the required borders on playback according to the display's aspect ratio.
When you play a 4:3 DVD with a widescreen picture on a 16:9 display and see that tiny picture in the middle surrounded by black, it's a perfect illustration as to why encoding back isn't a good idea... in my opinion.

Quote:
Sure, I know you can't have multiple frame rates in a single video. It's just that I have a huge amount of DVDs where there's a short video intro and then a movie, and it's all in one continuous recording. I'm was wondering if there's a solution where it can all be converted to 23.976p, including the intro, for simplicity.
Sure you can have multiple frame rates in a single video if you're not confined to "industry standards". It's called variable frame rate encoding. The Handbrake GUI is configured to output VFR by default. You can do the same using AVIsynth, but there's more user input required. I'm not sure about ffmpeg.
For a constant frame rate output the standard method is to convert everything to a common frame rate with an Avisynth plugin such as TIVTC. I explained the process earlier in the thread.

Quote:
Although I just realized that the intros are always 4:3 fullscreen, and the movies often need to be cropped, and this would present a problem. In that case, what's a simple solution where both the intro and the movie can be in the same container, but be separate chapters or streams? Would you suggest MKV? I want to have compatibility and keep things simple for "dumb" players. (Which is why I'm leaning towards square pixels.) I've ripped over 1,000 DVDs, and I'm looking for a long-term solution which would work in various media servers, TVs, and video players. I'm thinking about x264/aac in MKV, with different video streams. So please give your thoughts.
I don't know of a way to do it automatically. Using AVIsynth you'd use the dimensions of the main movie as the dimensions for the 4:3 intro, but you would need to add back borders to the sides for the 4:3 part. For example, if you had a 4:3 DVD where the into is 4:3 but the main movie is 16:9 in a 4:3 frame you could do something like this:

Trim(0,999).Crop(12,2,10,-2).Spline36Resize(480,360).AddBorders(80,0,80,0)\
++Trim(1000,0).Crop(2,56,-2,-58).Spline36Resize(640,360)

That'd give you the intro as 460x360 with black borders at the sides for a total of 640x360 to match the rest.
Of course you can resize to any 16:9 dimensions and add the appropriate borders but it requires manually setting it up.
Mind you that sort of thing was my initial motivation for creating the script I mentioned earlier. To make doing that sort of thing easier.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote