View Single Post
Old 21st October 2011, 19:01   #10327  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I'm wondering right now, if you did create a new external subtitle renderer, how much of your development time would go into:

(1) creating and maintaining the DShow framework
(2) finding the best way to forward the subtitles to the renderers
(3) actual work on implementing libass etc

I'm thinking right now that you'd probably spend 90%+ of your time on (1) and (2), would you agree with that? If so, I'm wondering whether it really makes sense. If I would implement libass directly in madVR (without support for other renderers, of course), I could probably get along with 20% of the time you'd need to invest. Or do you think my estimates are off?
1) will certainly require some work, but i don't think its that much, since i already have some good basis and experience to start with from my other decoders.
2) Is something actually wrong with the subtitle interface you use for MPC-HC? I thought all the issues we are having were due to bugs in the sub renderer, not in the interface.
3) Will certainly be fun!

Like mentioned before, one blocking factor for me is the time spend trying to figure out Direct3D, as i haven't done much with it.
I would probably add it to 3), but i would take longer with it then you would, for example, as you have the D3D experience.

I just think that the benefit of being able to use it with other renderers (and possibly without renderer support as a last resort, painting on the image, or for transcoding) outweights the extra efforts in this case, because the only alternative is VSFilter or ffdshow (which really are based on the same code), and those projects are really long dead, and unlikely to receive much love.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 21st October 2011 at 19:07. Reason: typos
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote