View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2018, 11:32   #48021  |  Link
Goeggel

HDR10 conundrum

A happy New Year to everyone here and a conundrum regarding HDR10 for the new year…:
  • I have a couple of HDR10 demos, which let my Sony TV switch automatically into HDR mode using Zoom Player and madVR
  • I have a couple of supposedly HDR movies, which DON’T let my Sony TV switch automatically into HDR mode using Zoom Player and madVR, but when playing them through the TV built-in video app, the TV switches automatically into HDR mode

My setup:
Windows 10 Enterprise 1709 64bit
Zoom Player 14
madVR v0.92.10 -> set to 10bit and 0-255 and HDR metadata passthrough
Nvidia GTX 980 385.69 -> set to 12bit and RGB Full
Sony XD9305 TV (HDR ready)

Test scenario A:
Playing HDR10 demos (Exodus trailer and LG Colors of Journey demo) through madVR -> TV switches to HDR mode -> ok
Playing HDR10 demos (Exodus trailer and LG Colors of Journey demo) through TV built-in video app -> TV switches to HDR mode -> ok
CTRL+J shows the following information for both files:
D3D11 10bit windowed
Matrix/Primaries BT.2020
P010 10bit 4:2:0
Test scenario B:
Playing HDR10 movies (HDR10 according to their file names) through madVR -> TV doesn’t switch to HDR mode -> not ok
Playing HDR10 movies (HDR10 according to their file names) through TV built-in video app -> TV switches to HDR mode -> ok
CTRL+J shows the following information for both files:
D3D11 10bit windowed
Matrix/Primaries BT.709
YV12 8bit 4:2:0
The movies first look washed out when playing through madVR. But when switching the TV manually to HDR, the colours seem to be fine (they look the same as when playing throug the built-in video app).

Now to the conundrum (I hope you are still with me…):
  • According to their file names, the movies are supposed to be in 4K HDR10.
  • The movies are from different release groups, but they behave all the same.
  • When playing them through the TV built-in video app, the TV automatically switches into HDR mode.

Could it be that madVR somehow misinterprets the movies’ video data? Is there any other explanation for this behaviour? How can I tell whether the movie files are really HDR 10bit?
Goeggel is offline   Reply With Quote