View Single Post
Old 14th May 2016, 14:50   #37944  |  Link
Sunspark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesFanUK View Post
Slightly off topic (and perhaps me being a bit thick) - Anyone use a 1440p monitor here?
I have read 1440 is a bad screen size for watching films/tv shows/streaming as it doesn't have a 1:1 scale like 4K would from 1080, only that it benefits games. Have a 980ti so I have the graphical grunt for MadVR but just wondering whether it's worth moving up screen size from a 23" 1080p monitor to a 25"/27" 1440p one. I'm presuming there are no adverse affect with MadVR too (besides being able to use less settings at the higher res)?
Focus on the aspect ratio.. I have a 2048x1152 monitor, which is an odd size, but it is 16:9 so there are no issues with upscaling without black bars. I often do watch it with black bars around the 1080p image though given the small size difference. I'm not sure there is any point running a scaler to take it from 1080 to 1152 as with any device other than the PC, non-PC needs to be done by the monitor's built-in scaler, on a PC it is better done in madvr luma upscaling algorithms of madvr rather than the monitor which is best set at 1:1 image to speed up processing and maintain native pixel scale.

There are some really odd form factors out there these days, I've seen some unusual ultrawide monitors intended to be a replacement for two monitors side by side, etc.

Last edited by Sunspark; 14th May 2016 at 14:53.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote