View Single Post
Old 16th January 2013, 16:59   #16935  |  Link
njfoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

Currently madVR can not find out itself which mode it should use. So the "auto" mode always uses DXVA deinterlacing. If your sitcoms are native film content (24p), forcing madVR into "film" mode would allow you to output true 24p to your display, which would result in smoother motion. This is not possible when using DXVA deinterlacing. However, if your sitcoms are native interlaced recordings, film mode would produce visible combing artifacts. If your display can't do 24p, anyway, I'd stick with "auto". If you want 24p output then you can try film mode. I guess most newer sitcoms are 24p based. But some older sitcoms are native interlaced, I think.

If you say it like this you might confuse some users. Many people consider telecined content as "interlaced content", too. It's important to be clear. If you say "film mode won't properly deinterlace *native* interlaced content" then I fully agree with you.

There are 2 different kinds of "interlaced content": Truely native interlaced content, and telecined content. The latter was originally 24p (or 25p) content and was just converted to 60i (or 50i). Film mode can perfectly undo this and restore the original 24p/25p content. Film mode does not work properly with truely native interlaced content, though.

Can mediainfo or a similar program determine natively interlaced vs telecined?
njfoses is offline   Reply With Quote