View Single Post
Old 24th August 2003, 21:34   #1  |  Link
Savini

Default PGC: Problem with German DVD of "Goldmember"

I have the German DVD of Goldmember which features the original English audiotrack and a very bad German one. I found out that if I got rid of the German track, the main movie + deleted scenes would fit on one DVD-R.

But there's a problem:

I found out that there are 3 PGCs for the main movie. The reason is that seamless branching is used because of a single scene with subtitles. (It's the scene with japanese talking and funny subtitles that are partially unreadable because of the background) Those subtitles are no "DVD subtitles". The subtitles are in the film itself and the DVD contains the scene twice: one with German subtitles and another one with English subtitles. The 3 PGCs are as follows:

1) German sound and German subtitles during the Japanese scene

2) English sound with English subtitles during the Japanese scene

3) English commentary with English subtitles during the Japanese scene

I used IfoEdit to get rid of the seamless branching and just kept PGC 2. But when I start the movie I have no sound at all unless I select the language menu and choose "English".

There seems to be a default selection of PGC1 somewhere in the DVD structure. That's why the movie starts with no sound because the German soundtrack is missing (in addition the Japanese scene is skipped when you run the altered PGC1!)

So my final idea is NOT to strip out the seamless branching (this one scene doesn't take much space) but use ifoedit to change the default PGC. I don't want the movie in German (PGC 1) when I press the start button but in English (PGC 2). I would in addition then strip out the German audiostream completely and lock the language menu with Menu edit.

So how can I change the default PGC?
Savini is offline   Reply With Quote