View Single Post
Old 31st July 2003, 06:58   #11  |  Link
karl_lillevold

tiny tiny update. I found that on systems that have installed an Osprey capture card, Osprey is nice enough to include an I420 codec. However, it does not work very well (for instance, no YV12 support for Avisynth), and also, Osprey decided to put the vidc.i420 reg key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER and not along with all the other VFW codecs, in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. So unless the key in HKCU is removed, the Osprey codec will be loaded before the Helix codec, and you are out of luck, causing a minor headache trying to figure out why for instance an Avisynth script referencing an I420 file can not provide YV12.

So the little update is to include in my installer, the removal of any I420 / YV12 vidc string value in HKCU, in case it is there, before placing a new vidc.I420/YV12 in HKLM.

p.s. a little warning for those that use YV12 support in ffdshow instead of a native VFW codec (like the Helix YUV codec) for YV12 playback. Having YV12 enabled in ffdshow causes Gabest's Directshow filter for RealMedia to malfunction.